Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5

Thread: road trip to calgary

road trip to calgary

\has anyone here done a road trip to Calgary?

Our family has been invited to a bar mitzvah in Calgary near the end of August. We were going to fly out for a week, but then the idea of driving came up.

We are no strangers to long road trips. My wife and i have driven to Florida at least 25 times. We've also gone to south Carolina via The Tail of The Dragon, Lake George New York, The city of New York, and L.A. top Vegas along route 66.

If you have done such a trip to Calgary, some insites would be appreciated
    1971 Avanti II,
    '89 Coupe, , 22 Bronco sport
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, , 96 Mustang GT vert

Getting out of Ontario takes more than a day. North shore of Superior is beautiful. Map out gas stations and calculate fill ups. I found the prairies beautiful where as many call them boring.

About 15 years ago my son got a job in Calgary with arriving ASAP time line. With a small U-HAUL crossed at Pt Huron at 9;30 AM Sat just after Thanksgiving. The two of us kept driving mostly in US by alternating with gas, coffee, wash room and snacks. Reached Calgary Sunday about 10pm.
    I wouldn't do that again.

Club Supporter
    I've only driven to Wawa and it's a great drive from the Soo up to Wawa, and as CL said, the north shore is supposed to be a nice drive also (and on my bucket list). Once you get to the Prairies maybe not so much but I read that if you stay off the TC and to the south of the provinces it may be more interesting. You can also do ferry to Manitoulin from Tobermory, then n to the Soo, to make the early part of the trip more interesting.

Example for the Prairies: https://teaspoonofadventure.com/cross-canada-road-trip/

My parents did a road trip all the way up to Alaska last year. threw Canada on the way down and the US on the way back.
    I’m think they took 4 weeks total and said they wished they had of left more time to see stuff on their “drive days”

They said the the same thing when they did Route 66.

Not take away seems to be give your self more time.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    I've only driven to Wawa and it's a great drive from the Soo up to Wawa, and as CL said, the north shore is supposed to be a nice drive also (and on my bucket list). Once you get to the Prairies maybe not so much but I read that if you stay off the TC and to the south of the provinces it may be more interesting. You can also do ferry to Manitoulin from Tobermory, then n to the Soo, to make the early part of the trip more interesting.

Example for the Prairies: https://teaspoonofadventure.com/cross-canada-road-trip/
    years ago we did the ferry to tobermory and the Soo by motorcycle with 1o other couples.. it was an epic trip
    1971 Avanti II,
    '89 Coupe, , 22 Bronco sport
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, , 96 Mustang GT vert