Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Caliper clip broken

Brake Caliper clip broken

The anti rattle clip (installed by previous owner) would not come out. After prying and pulling it snapped, leaving part of it stuck in the caliper. With a small amount to grab onto with pliers it still would not move. I soaked it in penetrating oil, put it in a vice and punched from both sides (the hole goes all the way through the caliper) and it would not budge. I swear they were installed with cement. You can see the punch started bending. The clips are hardened spring steel, so a regular drill bit did nothing. The only thing that started to work was a dremel diamond carving bit. But I still couldn't get all the way through. I'm afraid to use a torch because of the proximity to the piston and boot. I had to leave it for a few days but I bought some cobalt drill bits in hopes they can take on the hard steel. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any tips!

TL: DR Part of the anti rattle caliper clip is stuck in my caliper and after 2 hours all I managed to do was ruin the nice blue paint on my brakes.RS_caliper (1)_small.jpgRS_caliper (2)_small.jpgRS_caliper (5)_small.jpgRS_caliper (6)_small.jpg

Heat may be your best friend but soaking for a few days might work.