PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Pursuit !!!!

CON VERT
09-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Daughter got an 05 Pursuit,(Cobalt) had the ignition switch done under warranty recall last year, now the dam thing is sticking ? spoke with GM they said if it more than 90 days it is out of warranty ! go figure ! old switch worked fine for 10 + years , a new warranty switch less than a year is sticking, sticks on starting and keeps the starter running longer than it should, have to turn it back slightly to get it to stop. now the $64 dollar question, can I just spray it with contact cleaner or ?? not going to let GM put another switch in at a cost of ???? for their F'UP to start off with ? any info would be greatly appreciated !

ZR
09-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Had the opposite problem with Kaths HHR, would do it the odd time with original switch. Do have to say, replacement feels gritty / almost like it's binding from day it was done.
I'd sent a letter to GM Canada, unacceptable.
To me, anything replaced under a recall such as that, should be warranteed for a period of time equal to what vehicle came with new.

CON VERT
09-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Her's was the same, now it sticks, like the return spring is weak or binding ! I was mistaken, it was over 2 years ago it was done, Aug / 14 ! F'ing junk !

Mellow Yellow
09-07-2016, 11:15 AM
OK I checked with my best friend who is a locksmith specializing in automobiles.

If you use a lubricant it MUST be the dry kind; like graphite but this may get black over the car---so be careful. WD 40 a definite no no - it will eventually totally gum it up.

He says the likely issue is that one of the wafers is not 100% right. Working it (turning on and off without starting the car) back and forth MAY free it up.
He says it is hard to diagnose from a distance, but this is what he has experienced in the past.

Good luck.

CON VERT
09-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks, sprayed with ignition cleaner & worked it back & forth a bunch of times, seems better, car is driven very little & could be another reason ! here's hoping !