PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on motor

TTOPEH
10-11-2015, 08:39 AM
So the time has come that my original 302 needs to be retired and a fresh motor needs to go into my 1986 GT T-Top. 225,000kms and now running 3.73s has taken a toll lol......burning/leaking oil and now the water pump gave up 2 weeks ago

I have found a 1997 Explorer 302 which only had 50,000 miles and the guy had it rebuilt for good measure because he was gonna put it in his hot rod but decided to go a different route.

Block and Pistons were cleaned, all new gaskets......GT40P heads......there's no intake.

The guys left the pan loose as well as the water pump to show the condition. It looks new.

I know I will need oil pan, would have the cam swapped to an e303, water pump, intake, have an A9L computer so will switch to mass air......timing cover

So I am wondering who has done this and what should I expect to need additional to what I mentioned
Some one told me I should upgrade the lifters if I am doing E303 cam.....

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd enjoy 300hp to the wheels

TTOPEH
10-11-2015, 08:47 AM
What is EDIS?

I'd keep the EDIS

Spock
10-11-2015, 08:58 AM
What is EDIS?

no distributor, just coil packs

TTOPEH
10-11-2015, 09:01 AM
There's none of that with the motor

no distributor, just coil packs

ZR
10-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Lifters you have are fine with the cam (assuming they are in good condition of course), upgrade on the valve springs + roller rockers is where I'd spend my money. If you don't already have the cam or are dead set on it, there are some better dual pattern cams available.

Speedtospare
10-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Yeah go with a different cam other than the E-303. its 20= year old cam. The so many better came with better designed lobe ramps that meet emissions. Agree with the rest of the guys info above. springs and rockers are a good idea when upgrading to a cam

Tailites
10-13-2015, 11:34 AM
nothing wrong with the old school letter cams...are they the best?...of course not

will they give you some more beans?...yep & you can usually find one cheap

remember...a lot of R&D went into those cams from Ford

using an "F" cam in the turbo car...runs great

the Exlorer motor has cast pistons btw...no big deal really

ZR
10-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Good point Tail, if you can find one priced right, grab it n be happy.

Speedtospare
10-14-2015, 12:21 AM
nothing wrong with the old school letter cams...are they the best?...of course not

will they give you some more beans?...yep & you can usually find one cheap

remember...a lot of R&D went into those cams from Ford

using an "F" cam in the turbo car...runs great

the Exlorer motor has cast pistons btw...no big deal really

Yep, they were great cams 20 years ago. There single pattern cams, there mass produced to sell cheaply. If you can find one cheap enough ok. Honestly if you want the idle sound grab a letter cam. If you want to make power look elsewhere. This is just a budget build so a letter cam would work.

Mine has Hyperutetic, there hold up just fine. All in the tune.