PDA

View Full Version : Blown Fuses

Whitehot
08-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Last year I struggled with blown fuses. Now, this late in the season :( It seems to be starting again. I have no tail, gof, or dash lights. Haven t gotten into it much yet. Last time, i raised up the rear battery location, looked like possible pinched wiers there??.. Then , the prob went away...Until driven in the really hot, prob around the Stampede time??.. Not really sure... Now, I ll check under the battery again, hunt down the fuse, and change it??.. And look for any other signs of a prob... Dam fuses... or shorts, if thets were the prob is...

ZR
08-10-2015, 10:20 PM
What all isn't working again?
What else is on the fuse?
What is it marked as?
Did you confirm you've not worn through the wiring harness above the drivers front wheel?

Tailites
08-10-2015, 11:06 PM
is there any additional wiring on the car?
eg...something you have installed or the previous owner installed?
in other words...what is changed wiring wise on the car from stock
I always check that stuff out first

Whitehot
08-11-2015, 06:38 AM
I did remove the after market head lights last yr. From what I could tell, no wear through the fender well, not sure what else is on the fuse that is burnt?? Gonna get into it tonight prob. Right now, the dash lights, tail lights and fog lights are not working. Signal , brake, head lights are working. Stereo is working. Wiring is bit of a pain when something is wrong :(

ZR
08-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Start with, pull the LF wheel off and check the inner fender liner for signs of contact with the tire.
If ok, put the fust back in, check all lights associated with the fust for working correctly / correct brightness. Sometimes it's as simple as a broken filament making contact with ground.
Wiring is extremely straight forward to diagnose, does take time, does require being methodical in how you proceed.

Whitehot
08-11-2015, 06:10 PM
the super fuse , green one under the hood was blowen. Seems to me, I had raised the battery in the trunk, it may have been crushin some wires last time. It may have moved a little, so this time, I took the battery rightout and made sure, nothin will move. All seem well so far, haven t drove it yet, but lights are workin...Taillights, cluster lights, fog lights... Now, i gotta take like 20 min to re program my dam stereo..lol... wichis a real drag, but hope that i got things right??.. let ya s know..

Whitehot
08-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Sometime after changin the big fuse under the hood, a 15 amp went under the dash (door locks n mirror adjustments) ... changed them,ok for now.... keepin an eye on it, but at least it cleaned, gave her a loving bath tonight, hoped it would help, lol ;)

ZR
08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
So battery is in the trunk, what wires do you have running under it?

Whitehot
08-12-2015, 07:06 AM
I don t know what they are for?.. They come inside the car form outside?.. :) The battery was placed on top of them, in 2007? I think?...so, I ve raised up the battery box... Don t think it killed the wires, just pressed hard on them. When I di that last time, everything stopped blowen...??? Weird electrical ?????

1low03gt
08-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Start with, pull the LF wheel off and check the inner fender liner for signs of contact with the tire.
If ok, put the fust back in, check all lights associated with the fust for working correctly / correct brightness. Sometimes it's as simple as a broken filament making contact with ground.
Wiring is extremely straight forward to diagnose, does take time, does require being methodical in how you proceed.

I caught my inner fender liner before it went right threw over one winter, I pulled the wheels off to give them a real good cleanning, and noticed a lot of contact was going on with the tire, and left liner, so I shaped up a good size sheet metal plate, took the liner out, and gooped up a large area with some black silicone, then pressed the sheet metal plate in, let it cure, then gooped more black silicone on top, and let it cure over the coarse of the winter. Today it has held up perfectly, and there is now a little larger then a toonie sized hole, but all you see is the shiny sheet metal threw the hole, and my harness above the liner is still intact. Easy cheap mod for lowered stangs. The sheet metal is large enough that it will not create an issue like pulling threw the liner, or tearing threw my tire by seperating from the liner. It would take a good amount of years of wearing threw before it came out.
Cheap insurance

Whitehot
08-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Ya, believe it or not, my inner fender wells are ok...I still sorta think its the battery on some wires in the truck??..Ever since I raised the battery box up, things were ok??.. Seems like I didin t do that good of a job, may have moced, I fixed my raise up job... seems ok now, after chnagin couple fuses .... XX Fingers crossed XX