PDA

View Full Version : Drive Clean Question?

98snake
05-03-2015, 07:53 PM
I finally pulled my car from storage and I have check engine light trouble codes P1516 & P1518 which are Intake Manifold Runner Control codes. I tried clearing them but they soon returned. I went to Ford for replacement parts and they have discontinued all IMRC replacement parts!

I need an e-test to get my sticker..does anyone know what happens with Drive Clean if a manufacturer no longer carries emission parts for your car?

Bryan

OneQwkStang
05-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Wreckers? or other automotive parts supplier?

Spock
05-03-2015, 08:24 PM
What is the part # your looking for?

98snake
05-03-2015, 08:24 PM
The Ford parts guy I spoke to said that it's a dealer only part with no stock left in Canada and 96-98 Mustang owners south of the border indicate the same. I don't think the used parts option is a good one in this case...from what I'm gathering, these IMRC's are notorious for malfunctioning and the time and labour it takes to get at the IMRC components doesn't seem worth the risk. The other option I have been reading about is to delete the IMRC plates and turn sensor off with a custom tune. I want to keep the stock emission equipment intact and was hoping there was some kind of Drive Clean exemption if an emission part cannot be replaced??

98snake
05-03-2015, 08:27 PM
What is the part # your looking for?

The IMRC actuator and cables...think it's PN# F6ZZ9J559BB.

ZR
05-03-2015, 08:27 PM
What parts are you stuck for?
Many times, plates are gunked up n just need to be cleaned.

Ponyryd
05-03-2015, 08:31 PM
There is no exemption, if you just need to renew your sticker you'll need to take it in and have an emissions repair facility diagnose it and try to fix it, they have the $450 repair limit still, so if they can't get parts you should be able to get a conditional pass for just the diagnostic fee.

98snake
05-03-2015, 08:40 PM
What parts are you stuck for?
Many times, plates are gunked up n just need to be cleaned.

That's what I'm reading too but it could also be the actuator or frayed or broken cables too. I have a 98 with composite IMRC plates and as I understand they as less prone to gumming up compared to the 96-97 aluminum plates. When I reach down the back of the intake I can physically move the plates so I'm pretty sure it's the actuator or cables.

98snake
05-03-2015, 08:41 PM
There is no exemption, if you just need to renew your sticker you'll need to take it in and have an emissions repair facility diagnose it and try to fix it, they have the $450 repair limit still, so if they can't get parts you should be able to get a conditional pass for just the diagnostic fee.

I'm gonna go talk to a Drive Clean facility tomorrow and see what they have to say.

2DXTRM
05-03-2015, 09:49 PM
That's what I'm reading too but it could also be the actuator or frayed or broken cables too. I have a 98 with composite IMRC plates and as I understand they as less prone to gumming up compared to the 96-97 aluminum plates. When I reach down the back of the intake I can physically move the plates so I'm pretty sure it's the actuator or cables.

Cables and actuators from a Mark 8 should work as well.

2DXTRM
05-03-2015, 09:50 PM
P1516 Inlet Manifold Runner Control Input Error (Bank 1 = passenger side)
P1518 Inlet Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open

High possibility is that the IMRC are gunked up causing the codes. Also possible that the actuator has taken a ****, so that means replace the actuator or do an IMRC delete and have them tuned out (= no codes).

First, check to see if the two bicycle looking cables at the back of the intake move when the engine is revved up over 3200 rpm. If they do, then its probably the IMRC gummed up. Best to remove the intake manifold and clean them with some carb cleaner.

Ponyryd
05-04-2015, 12:09 AM
I'm gonna go talk to a Drive Clean facility tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Has to be a repair facility, not just a test facility. I hope they give you a direction but I would bet money they will say "we won't know until we do a diagnostic"...that's what we would always say.

98snake
05-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Has to be a repair facility, not just a test facility. I hope they give you a direction but I would bet money they will say "we won't know until we do a diagnostic"...that's what we would always say.

You were correct sir...I was told by two repair / test facilities that I need to test and if it fails a diagnostic is needed. If the discontinued part and or labour are $450, a conditional pass can be issued.

I plan to keep this car for a few years and to avoid dealing with IMRC issues in the future I've decided to go with Modular Mustang Racing IMRC delete plates and a custom tune. I think my money is better spent on deleting these troublesome IMRC plates for good!

Thanks for all your input.

OneQwkStang
05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Hope and pray this Drive Clean gets tossed in the future.

Ponyryd
05-04-2015, 06:31 PM
You were correct sir...I was told by two repair / test facilities that I need to test and if it fails a diagnostic is needed. If the discontinued part and or labour are $450, a conditional pass can be issued.

I plan to keep this car for a few years and to avoid dealing with IMRC issues in the future I've decided to go with Modular Mustang Racing IMRC delete plates and a custom tune. I think my money is better spent on deleting these troublesome IMRC plates for good!

Thanks for all your input.

Good call, no point in them spending your money and not making it any faster, lol.

98snake
06-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Wanted to update on my IMRC issue and I have another Drive Clean question.

I had IMRC delete plates installed a few days ago along with some Steeda Under Drives and a BBK Cold Air Intake and my car seems to pull a lot better

Before I deleted the IMRC's I was getting a check engine light and now that I've removed the stock plates and controller box I no longer am getting a check engine light.

Weird thing is that when I scan for trouble codes I get code P1519 IMRC stuck open and I've driven the car over 100K both highway and city over two days.

I'm awaiting a custom tune to delete and compensate for the IMRC change but in the meantime...would I pass a Drive Clean with no check engine but a stored P1519 code?

98snake
06-22-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't get this Drive Clean...so I go for the test anyway knowing I have a P1519 stored but no check engine light. Long story short it passed. Is it possible my SCT handheld is wrong?

Blackmare
06-22-2015, 11:47 AM
You are good to pass as long as it's only one code and no check engine light. Two codes is a conditional. More than 2 is a problem.

98snake
06-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Thanks...that would explain my pass.

Ponyryd
06-22-2015, 05:46 PM
You are good to pass as long as it's only one code and no check engine light. Two codes is a conditional. More than 2 is a problem.

For real? That's cool, learned something today, lol.

ZR
06-22-2015, 08:20 PM
As explained to me (OBDII test)
One monitor not ready = pass.
Two monitors not ready = eligible for conditional (24hrs + driven at least 30kms before retest) but it's a one time thing, need to pass legit next time
Engine light on or any stored codes = fail.

Disturbing part of this, exceptions to the rule seem to pop up from time to time such as,
-one above
-a vehicle that passes with only two monitors turned on but showing ready (meaning, monitors such as misfire, EVAP, 02's ready etc are shut off)

98 Snake
06-22-2015, 08:46 PM
A car can pass if it has a code in the pcm thats not related to the emissions eqiupment. In this case it looks like the imrc's are not considered part of the emission equipment.

Ponyryd
06-22-2015, 11:51 PM
^That makes sense then, I heard that a car could pass with a code that doesn't affect emissions, but from what I've heard there are no such codes, even trans codes have caused cars to fail because of emissions. Just more govt b.s. Glad you got a pass though.

True Blue
06-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Having code issues with my dad's 98 Windstar. IMRC (Bank 2) was stuck open, wired it shut. After that (Bank 1) was staying open figured it out, loss of VAC pressure. Plugged VAC line on Bank 2. IMRC (Bank 1) functioned properly after that. Deleted all codes. Went for a good drive on the highway. Reader was still showing EVAP "not ready". Already knowing 1 " not ready" was still a pass. Just went for the E-test, van passed!

Fucking BS stuff you have to do, for a pointless program!! Time to fire up the lawnmower, which probably pollutes more shit than 3 vehicles combined!!