PDA

View Full Version : Accident Insurance Scam???

redo75
09-20-2024, 09:53 AM
On Weds I was in Scarbough on Warden Ave going north and went to make left on Lawrence. Red Honda Civic in front with Urber sign in back window was about 6~12 inches ahead of my car turning left. Next thing I knew was our bumpers touching.

I don't know if I rolled forward or he rolled into me????

He jumped out and was yelling about how I damaged his car, only a small 1 CM punch into his lower back plastic bumper from my acorn nut holding licence plate. Like a parking lot touch. A little bondo, paint and buff would fix it but no he's too busy wanted body shop to fix it. We were going to drive into a parking lot to exchange info, I followed, drove several blocks past empty parking to side street and several blocks up to parking lot in front of some offices. Wanted to have me pay later by e tranfer and no insurance, going to get estimate since he had $500 deduct. Showed our Lic only and took cell pics of both and my cell number. No ownership or ins. were offered ??? Just my cell contact info.
Does this sound like a funny business.

BUT !!!!! I have to say it happened so fast I honestly don't know who rolled into whose bumper.

Haven't heard from him yet. He was from a Pickering address but Urbering in Toronto??
Didn't contact my ins. co yet
I am perplexed.
Any thoughts.

Laffs
09-20-2024, 10:52 AM
TBH it sounds like you rolled into a car in front of you and doesn't want to have to go thru insurance and just wants it fixed. If someone hits my car, regardless of if its small or not I'm not going out of my way to get materials and spend time fixing it, a pro is going to do it. Honestly if someone hits me then suggest I should just be fixing it I'll probably get combative because someone's carelessness should not result in my own personal inconvenience.

See what the quotes come back at, if it's not thousands of bucks I suggest you just pay it.

R3troGT
09-20-2024, 11:15 AM
No Dashcam?

redo75
09-20-2024, 11:36 AM
No not a high teck guy, just living in London.
More of a parking lot bump in the fender 1 cm dia.

Zee
09-20-2024, 01:28 PM
I think you rolled into him, happens to the best of us

Uncle Buck
09-20-2024, 01:59 PM
If you’re behind it’s your fault unless you have proof otherwise. See what the estimate is and pay if reasonable. If it seems way high, offer to pay less. In all likelihood he’s not going to fix it so may be open to a lower amount.

If that doesn’t work consider going through insurance.

My daughter tapped someone from behind about 8 years ago. The repair was less than $700 so I just paid it. In that case it was being fixed so I paid the repair shop directly.

RedSN
09-20-2024, 02:23 PM
Did either of you go to a collision reporting centre?
If not, never happened (non legal non expert advice). My guess is you never hear anything more from this.

But jeezz, you were 6-12” off his back bumper at a light? Kinda tight.

redo75
09-20-2024, 02:41 PM
Wed in Toronto traffic was a night mare for me. 401 was blocked going west so had to go up to 407, first time to use 407 it in about 4 years. Had to pull up in turning lane, so busy.

5.4MarkVIII
09-20-2024, 06:04 PM
Regardless of who may be at fault. Take pictures of both cars and go to a reporting center.

My dad did the same. Took pictures but did not go to the reporting center right away. The person he bumped told a much more elaborate story and the damage to their car did not match what my dad had in his pictures.
Insurance ended up taking all the pics and launched an investigation.

RedSN
09-20-2024, 07:18 PM
Toronto traffic was a night mare for me.
:welcomesign: to the GTA.
I’d like to say it’s the worst I’ve ever seen, but it’s a close second to some 3rd world countries I’ve seen.

redo75
09-20-2024, 08:03 PM
Well I will have to enjoy it next visit as I am not travelling out of Trudeau Fun Land in near future.

LX89
09-20-2024, 09:08 PM
GTA driving is insane.
Pay all this money to drive only to deal with crazy traffic and shit drivers.