PDA

View Full Version : Brake Caliper clip broken

m_owing
07-04-2024, 02:39 PM
The anti rattle clip (installed by previous owner) would not come out. After prying and pulling it snapped, leaving part of it stuck in the caliper. With a small amount to grab onto with pliers it still would not move. I soaked it in penetrating oil, put it in a vice and punched from both sides (the hole goes all the way through the caliper) and it would not budge. I swear they were installed with cement. You can see the punch started bending. The clips are hardened spring steel, so a regular drill bit did nothing. The only thing that started to work was a dremel diamond carving bit. But I still couldn't get all the way through. I'm afraid to use a torch because of the proximity to the piston and boot. I had to leave it for a few days but I bought some cobalt drill bits in hopes they can take on the hard steel. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any tips!

TL: DR Part of the anti rattle caliper clip is stuck in my caliper and after 2 hours all I managed to do was ruin the nice blue paint on my brakes.39891398923989339894

ZR
07-05-2024, 12:39 PM
Heat may be your best friend but soaking for a few days might work.

m_owing
07-14-2024, 07:43 PM
Update: soaking in oil didn’t work. Neither did the cobalt bits, only made a dent. Still didn’t want to use a torch because of how close brake lines, piston boot, etc are. I ended up drilling a new hole just on a slight angle from the original one. The clip goes in no problem. It’s staying in place, hopefully continues to.