PDA

View Full Version : CROSSING INTO US WITH A RACE CAR.......................this is new

ZR
05-31-2024, 07:46 AM
**CROSSING INTO THE USA**

Apparently the USA has an environmental requirement that “race cars / derby cars” must apply for an exemption to cross into the USA and compete. SOME ports of entry are requiring this entry form, some are not. It could be border guard to border guard. So if you plan to run bash for cash or any us derby you need to email the following to this email address to be certain you won’t have an issue. It takes 14-21 days to get your exemption.

Imports@epa.gov

EDIT - I’m just passing on a situation that happened today. I’m just trying to help by giving you the info we found out today. All the info I have is posted. Please feel free to look up the info. “We’ve never had an issue” - doesn’t mean you won’t. Just take precaution.

EDIT #2
May 2
Several border crossings said they aren’t requiring it but if you get that 1 guard that decides he/she want it then you may be turned away.

Heres what was sent to me as an updated list to send to epa:

“Racing Vehicle Exclusion
Anyone may import a racing vehicle. These are vehicles which, in general, have been extensively
modified for racing, and are incapable of safe and practical street or highway use because they lack
features associated with safe and practical street or highway use. Such features include, but are not
limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or other safety features
required by state and/or Federal law. EPA does not require a Customs bond, but written EPA approval
must be obtained before clearance at Customs.
Requirements:
You must first receive EPA's approval by submitting a signed request to EPA at the address shown below.
EPA approval must be granted BEFORE shipping the vehicle(s) to the U.S. Not all vehicles used in races
are excluded from emissions compliance. Determinations are based on the capability of the vehicle, not
its intended use. In your request, please provide the following information (in letter form) that is ink
signed by the requestor/importer:
1. Importer's name, address, email address, and daytime telephone number;
2. Vehicle information (make, model, model year and VIN);
3. A list of racing features (features that make the vehicle a racing vehicle);
4. A list of features customarily associated with safe and practical street or highway use which are
lacking (i.e. features that have been removed or have never been installed that would permit
safe driving on streets or highways);
5. At least four photographs showing the front, rear, and each side view; and if a vehicle with an
interior, photographs of the interior
The following information is optional. If this information is included it may help to expedite your
request:
6. The name of the sanctioning body and competition class;
7. A schedule of racing events, including dates and locations where the vehicle will participate
Upon entry, the importer must file EPA form 3520-1 declaring code "L" with Customs and attach the EPA
letter of approval.
The importer should keep a copy of the EPA approval letter for future proof of EPA exclusion.
The vehicle may not be registered or licensed for use on public roads or highways or operated on public
roads or highways.
Address the request letter as follows:
Imports Helpline
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Compliance Division
Attention: David C. Hurlin
2000 Traverwood Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Email your request to imports@epa.gov for review and processing. Please allow 14 – 21 working days
for processing. Please be advised that requests are processed in the order they are received.”

bluetoy
05-31-2024, 08:05 AM
Hmm interesting. I wonder if this is going to somehow affect our trips to New York Race Complex to compete in Kart races. I know it's not a car technically but with all these new rules popping up who knows. We used to be able to take our cat camping with us when we crossed into the US. Now we must supply a bunch of forms and spend money at the vet to get certificates filled out etc. This is new rule as well.

How's that dislike button function coming along. It would be perfect for this.

Laffs
05-31-2024, 09:53 AM
Don't think this would affect guys with titled/registered street cars trailering over to Milan or similar for a drag day but guys with late model/stock cars or dirt outlaws likely gonna get bit by this. My guess is right now it's a fact finding mission to determine how many actual "race cars" are coming in and out of the country likely to build a case for eventually outlawing/limiting I.C.E. race cars,