PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Leaking Repair Recomendation?

Scott
10-13-2022, 09:51 AM
2010 Lincoln MKS front seats all wet this morning after last nights heavy rain. I assume blocked drain tubes. Looking for recommendations on the best place for repair, should I take the car to a dealership or glass company?

5.4MarkVIII
10-13-2022, 10:08 AM
2010 Lincoln MKS front seats all wet this morning after last nights heavy rain. I assume blocked drain tubes. Looking for recommendations on the best place for repair, should I take the car to a dealership or glass company?

Do you have an air compressor? Just open the roof. Stand up inside. The drains are usually fairly visible.

Just blow air threw them

Laffs
10-13-2022, 10:15 AM
Do you have an air compressor? Just open the roof. Stand up inside. The drains are usually fairly visible.

Just blow air threw them

Just don't go full hog with the PSI turned up, can blow the tubes off the fittings. Learned that the hard way.

5.4MarkVIII
10-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Just don't go full hog with the PSI turned up, can blow the tubes off the fittings. Learned that the hard way.

Good point. I’ve never done it on a newer car but had to on some older (early to mid 90’s) ones.

Laffs
10-13-2022, 11:04 AM
My Ram's always have issues with sunroof drains. Every single one.

Scott
10-13-2022, 11:32 AM
I do have an air compressor. Thanks for the tips!

ZR
10-13-2022, 11:57 AM
+1 on extra gentle.

Scrape
10-14-2022, 06:06 AM
Also an additional tip is to check the drains on the chassis of the car as the drain holes have flaps and many times they clog from down there.

Scrape
10-14-2022, 06:10 AM
This also seems to be quite popular with the VW community. Not sure how useful this is but it’s cheap on AliExpress.

Ponyryd
10-14-2022, 07:52 AM
Once cleared with air I usually run washer fluid through them from the top woith the roof open, this way I can see that they’re flowing, and the washer fluid will clean any additional debris that the air didn’t clean. I also run washer fluid through mine once a year as a preventative measure.

ChickenLips
10-14-2022, 10:57 AM
I have a long brush snake device I got from Amazon for clearing the drains in my Lexus. I'll dig it out and provide info later. I'd lean towards snaking the drains over blowing out.

Scott
12-03-2022, 06:58 PM
OK late status update. Firstly thanks for all the ideas!

I found only two drains at the front corners of the sunroof. Used a fine wire and was able to push the wire 8 to 10 inches into the drain holes. I used a gentle blow of air and was able to see water dripping from the fender liners. I have only been able to locate drains in the front corners of the sunroof, should there be more at the door pillars?

Inaddition to the sunroof I also checked the two cowl drains, both were completly clogged.

https://i.imgur.com/KAfhcy5.jpg

RedSN
12-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Wow, didn’t realize that much crud could accumulate in there.

5.4MarkVIII
12-03-2022, 10:58 PM
I don’t get it. The bmw hood completely covers the cowl and it’s ALWAYS full of crap. Leaves, sticks ect. It’s like I clean it out weekly. It’s always full.

ChickenLips
12-04-2022, 09:58 AM
I don’t get it. The bmw hood completely covers the cowl and it’s ALWAYS full of crap. Leaves, sticks ect. It’s like I clean it out weekly. It’s always full.

the drains clear when you use the turn signals.

5.4MarkVIII
12-04-2022, 07:56 PM
Lol

Ponyryd
12-04-2022, 11:30 PM
OK late status update. Firstly thanks for all the ideas!

I found only two drains at the front corners of the sunroof. Used a fine wire and was able to push the wire 8 to 10 inches into the drain holes. I used a gentle blow of air and was able to see water dripping from the fender liners. I have only been able to locate drains in the front corners of the sunroof, should there be more at the door pillars?

Inaddition to the sunroof I also checked the two cowl drains, both were completly clogged.

https://i.imgur.com/KAfhcy5.jpg

Usually one per side in the front, as well as the rear, no door pillar drains. If the drains lead into the cowl and it was that plugged then that could very well be the issue, cowl fills up, drains cannot drain as they’re full of water, water fills drain tray and comes out inside car.

ZR
12-05-2022, 08:56 AM
When I clean out a mess like that, open the slit of the flapper a lil with a knife. Not sure why most are so small.

shakin
12-05-2022, 11:25 AM
I had similar issues with my last Ford. I did like Rick suggests and cut the bottom of the slit open more with scissors, and try not to park under things that shed debris for the cowl blockage. As for the sunroof section(I stay away from them), the web fix was to use a small diameter flexible wire(I'd use stiff trimmer line) to gently push through and free up any blockages. I'd hold off on compressed air until I thought it was open somewhat as I wouldn't want to possibly disconnect any junctions that may be between the roof and the headliner and cause an internal leak that creates leakage/damage.
I've learned over the years with a sloped driveway that parking with the nose of the vehicle downslope seems to exacerbate the issue of getting plugged up as more stuff follows the path to where the restriction is under the cowl from rain, condensation, etc. There should be 2 cups to trim, one each side. YMMV

Scott
12-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Usually one per side in the front, as well as the rear, no door pillar drains. If the drains lead into the cowl and it was that plugged then that could very well be the issue, cowl fills up, drains cannot drain as they’re full of water, water fills drain tray and comes out inside car.

The MKS has a double moonroof/sunroof but only the front one opens. It opens to just a little befind the door pilars. Since the rear glass can't move I can't tell if there are holes at the back.
I know that I have the front holes clear as I could see the water come out below the rear fender liner.

The funny thing about the cowl drains there was absolutely no debris around the drains but they were both plugged albeit 12 year old car and the first time I have cleanded them. I am a bad boy!

Scott
12-05-2022, 11:51 AM
When I clean out a mess like that, open the slit of the flapper a lil with a knife. Not sure why most are so small.

Great idea Rick.

Scott
12-05-2022, 11:58 AM
I had similar issues with my last Ford. I did like Rick suggests and cut the bottom of the slit open more with scissors, and try not to park under things that shed debris for the cowl blockage. As for the sunroof section(I stay away from them), the web fix was to use a small diameter flexible wire(I'd use stiff trimmer line) to gently push through and free up any blockages. I'd hold off on compressed air until I thought it was open somewhat as I wouldn't want to possibly disconnect any junctions that may be between the roof and the headliner and cause an internal leak that creates leakage/damage.
I've learned over the years with a sloped driveway that parking with the nose of the vehicle downslope seems to exacerbate the issue of getting plugged up as more stuff follows the path to where the restriction is under the cowl from rain, condensation, etc. There should be 2 cups to trim, one each side. YMMV

Ian you nailed it. I back the car into the cottage drive, the drive sloops down to the road. Both sides of the drive are lined with cedar trees and in the fall the car and windshield are coverd.

I did get both cowl drains and they both were pluged.

I am not sure yet if clearing the two front roof drains and both cowl drains have solved the problem. Next rainfall should tell me.

Ponyryd
12-05-2022, 01:41 PM
The MKS has a double moonroof/sunroof but only the front one opens. It opens to just a little befind the door pilars. Since the rear glass can't move I can't tell if there are holes at the back.
I know that I have the front holes clear as I could see the water come out below the rear fender liner.

The funny thing about the cowl drains there was absolutely no debris around the drains but they were both plugged albeit 12 year old car and the first time I have cleanded them. I am a bad boy!

Yeah that’s a common design of panoramic sunroof, and yes you will have rear drains, no question.
If you want to check how they work, park in a level surface and open the sunroof all the way, grab a flashlight, a bottle of water and stick your head through the sunroof opening like a drunk chick in a limo. Pour water in the front corners and watch how fast it drains, you can also sometimes hear it if you listen, as it drains you may hear a sucking sound, that means the drains are working. You can do the same to the rear, but first shine your light in the corners and look for drain holes, they may be at the very back, so you may not see them at all, but they rarely ever plug as the rear glass is stationary and has a better seal.

RedSN
12-06-2022, 03:36 PM
.... like a drunk chick in a limo.
:spitcoffee: awesome!