PDA

View Full Version : Track day, use it or lose it!

Stephen06GT
09-16-2022, 06:38 PM
I’ve been trying to come up with a “diplomatic” way of expressing my thoughts on the recent track day. First, these are my thoughts on the day and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts of the organizers. Speaking of organizers, kudos and thanks to ZR and Zippy (Rick and Ross) for making this event happen. I don’t think we could have had a better day. Unfortunately, days like yesterday could be numbered if we don’t get the number of participants up. If we don’t support days like yesterday we will lose them, and be relegated to open lapping days where it’s a crapshoot as to how it will be run. I don’t know how else to put it.

Stephen06GT

fast Ed
09-16-2022, 08:04 PM
Exactly ... if you commit to the day, follow through. Rick shouldn't come out upside down on these because a bunch of people back out last minute. Pricing he has set is very fair for a safe & well run day at the track.

ZR
09-16-2022, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys, it's appreciated.

I'll start with thanking everyone that attended both days this year, man oh man they were amazing. It sucked Mike had an issue on Thursday but thankfully he's got the fix under control and the LS Fox will live to fight another day. Also, could not do the days without everyone that worked alongside to make it happen. Ross, Stephen, Celeste, Katrinka, Don, Suki plus everyone else that helped a lil here and a lil there, together we all made it happen. Also very cool how Stephen, Dave and Victor pulled the trigger on pizza for all of us on Thursday, you rock.
Economics on the year, was ahead by a bit after the spring day, sign up for the fall fell well short but generosity of some that attended tossing in above and beyond what they needed to pay plus Booth Auto kicking in a bit has the year ending off with me assuring Uli we will be back next year. He called today to say thank you for the support, we talked about doing pretty much a rubber stamp on the dates for next season.
Like to hear what peeps liked plus what maybe could be better for next year.
What would help take stress off my end, please sign up early, yes you can pay for both spring / fall days in the spring but no it's not a requirement.
For me, I live for the next track day, think our smaller tight group makes it more fun than it's ever been.

SEE YOU AT THE TRACK.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqNHJE!E92ClN+7LBQJGbsclrQ~~/s-l500.jpg

RedSN
09-17-2022, 09:02 AM
What makes these events unique is being able to run around the track with a group of like minded Mustang enthusiasts that I feel comfortable putting my car out with. Even though I wasn’t able to get the car out this year, I attended both days. Still a ton of fun.

It was a little disappointing to see only a dozen cars out on what was the quintessential perfect day. No rain, perfect temperatures, no bird poop…

I would be devastated if these track days at TMP ceased to exist. …..just as I’m getting my car perfectly set up for this track.
Can’t think of anything that would improve the way the event is run. Seems to run smooth to me. Need to drum up more interest somehow. Previously, there was quite a few cars show up that were non-TMC members. Maybe team up with other forums? Advertise at speed shops and dealerships? I think we need a widener net.

DEFINITELY see you at the track next spring.

Zexhuffer
09-17-2022, 06:54 PM
I’ve been trying to come up with a “diplomatic” way of expressing my thoughts on the recent track day. First, these are my thoughts on the day and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts of the organizers. Speaking of organizers, kudos and thanks to ZR and Zippy (Rick and Ross) for making this event happen. I don’t think we could have had a better day. Unfortunately, days like yesterday could be numbered if we don’t get the number of participants up. If we don’t support days like yesterday we will lose them, and be relegated to open lapping days where it’s a crapshoot as to how it will be run. I don’t know how else to put it.

Stephen06GT

Some people either can't or don't want to lose a full day's work plus cost of everything else for a race day.

Stephen06GT
09-17-2022, 07:21 PM
Some people either can't or don't want to lose a full day's work plus cost of everything else for a race day.

That’s fine, but if you commit to the day and bail just before the event, that’s not cool.

92redragtop
09-17-2022, 08:23 PM
That’s fine, but if you commit to the day and bail just before the event, that’s not cool.

Is there a "no refund past this date" policy? or if you cancel past the date (say 7 days or other advance period) then the paid fee is carried forward to next event as a credit?

Zippy
09-17-2022, 10:52 PM
We shouldn't have to have special policy's to run an event like this.

92redragtop
09-17-2022, 11:26 PM
We shouldn't have to have special policy's to run an event like this.

Not really a special policy - anything with a fixed capacity and fixed cost have a refund policy tied to financial/capacity commitments made - think hotels, regular events (tickets), special events, any kind of travel, etc....even doctor's appts now have late cancelation policies. We've been living with some of these for 20 years now, and more will come.

Jack Raccoon!
09-18-2022, 12:29 AM
Get real people. It's not fucking Walmart. You pay your money, you can't make it because your ice cream cake melts, you eat it...

ZR
09-18-2022, 05:26 AM
Maybe this will help, our lapping day is in place for like minded peeps to enjoy a day at the track, period. No side hustle, no focus or even an inclination of making it a for profit day. It costs X to rent the track, price is the same no matter if it's a perfect weather, rains then rains more, 4 people or 40 people. This yr both days reached a level of fun I didn't think was possible, thought the past was good but spring event delivered in spades, fall was another level above. We have never ever ever seen everyone get so much track time nor has it ever been so stress free for the bunch of us running it. Why, like minded people and keeping the event smaller, much smaller. Drivers meeting was basically a three minute reminder to follow the rules we all know to the last letter then let's get out on the track. For the couple of new peeps, Ross n Stephen took them aside n looked after explaining. This yr we moved to two groups, Intermediate and Advanced, that also made a big difference (Thursday was single group, cycle off and on whenever you liked). If someone shows up having no track experience, your 100% welcome, hardly a person attending that isn't willing to talk n give you tips, even better if you came with someone experienced. Idea from the past to sell laps, bring in more and more one time only participants, ask spectators to pay, while it was good for the bottom line it turned the day into a full time job everyone running it didn't want. Just like everyone else, we look to it as a day off to enjoy our cars.
So with focus on fun and more fun, nothing to do with profit, yes it means pay to attend and hope for the best.................................just like the rest of us. Does that mean the odd time we'll be rained out and either shoot the shit under our tents or put street tires back on and slide around, yes it does. Moving forward, I'm on board with committing to the track for two days next year, asking everyone interested to sign up early and not leave it to the last minute. Killed me when the boys from the GHMA pulled the plug on Mustangs at Mosport, some of the best times of my life. Attended the last year, will never forget how good a time it was (we had two huge storms blow through).

Damp day under the tent chit chatting still beats the fawk outta being at work.

FABMAN
09-18-2022, 06:49 AM
First off, I can’t thank Rick and Ross enough for organizing the event. Also big thanks to everyone else who always helps out.

I can truly say, these days are some of the best of the season. Not only do we get to really enjoy the cars, catching up with friends from the club make these days extra special for me.

I remember the ONE time we got rained out, yes only ONE time…guess what, it was still fun! Did some slow slippery laps, hung out under the tents/Blackstock Ford trailer and had a bunch of laughs.

We did a couple of YouTube reviews on the PP2 for Blackstock as Jim brought a couple out for us to try. Really cool memories, that day still puts a smile on my face years later. I was telling Rick that it would be fun to get a awd/4wd lapping day in the winter, that’s how much fun it is!

Bottom line, thanks to Stephen for making this thread. Sometimes it’s good to recognize the people who go over and above to make TMC feel like a community.

RedSN
09-18-2022, 09:03 PM
I’d just like to say one more thing:
The thread title might be a bit aggressive. The point is this is a great event. Anybody that has never tracked their car before is more than welcome to join. Warning: it’s very addictive. You don’t need a track prepped car, in fact as a rookie it best not to. And there are tons of peeps that are more than welcome to tutor either as driver or co-pilot. You’re never going to have a better low-stress introduction to road course than this. (see the first page, first post of my build thread)

Jack Raccoon!
09-19-2022, 01:16 PM

If you can make it, great. If you can't, nobody cares why...

Jack Raccoon!
09-19-2022, 01:19 PM

If you bail that's cool. Shit happens. Don't expect a cheque in the mail...

Zee
09-19-2022, 02:36 PM
Get real people. It's not fucking Walmart. You pay your money, you can't make it because your ice cream cake melts, you eat it...

Yummm, now I want icecream cake

Frankie
09-19-2022, 03:17 PM
Personally, I love these track days - sorry i couldn't make this one, sometimes work gets in the way of all my fun!

The lack of stress about some idiot running into me is what does it for me.
As Rick always notes, huge smile on my face all day long.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in the spring!

Zexhuffer
09-24-2022, 09:25 PM
If you can make it, great. If you can't, nobody cares why...

Oh thats funny cause the whole point of this post is why aren't people coming out....

Whitehot
09-25-2022, 08:46 AM
My sediments exactly... if ya don t go , eventually we could lose the opportunity to go, to a properly , safe run event. I look forward to Track day , this past fall one was a difficult one for me to attend, however really look forward to the Spring one.... I ll , we, should all try to recruit new 'Track Day " people (attendees) when we re at car shows and events?? Looking forward to Another track day .... :)