PDA

View Full Version : Fox front seatbelt puzzler??

ChickenLips
08-01-2022, 01:34 PM
I'm putting the interior back into my 91 and have reached a WTF point with the seatbelt electrical connector (the female seatbelt half at the console).

Of course I had to pull the console and lift the carpet to take a look. I found what appears to be harness connectors for the seatbelts, but connected together (by previous owner). It appears that the driver seatbelt has a male electrical connector, and the passenger side should have a female.

I have 4-5 set of seatbelts and none have a connector for the passenger side.

My memory is super fuzzy on this.

Is there supposed to be a wire & connector for the passenger side?

I know I could just leave them coupled and defeat the seatbelt nanny but I'm trying to restore to original function.

ChickenLips
08-01-2022, 02:08 PM
I managed to find an assembly diagram. Looks like there's only a connector for the driver side. That means if I decouple the harness shown, there'll be a disconnected connector. That irritates my OCD.

If anyone is familiar with this minor conundrum please chime in.

Spock
08-01-2022, 07:30 PM
There was never a passenger seat belt connector only drivers 91-92
What colors are the connector wires in question?

True Blue
08-01-2022, 07:50 PM
My 90 has a seatbelt connector on the driver side only.

ChickenLips
08-01-2022, 09:25 PM
There was never a passenger seat belt connector only drivers 91-92
What colors are the connector wires in question?

the harness connectors plugged into each other in the photo are as follows;

Male connector; light blue/red and black (two wires of each)
female connector; brown/light blue and black (1 wire of each)

the connector on the seatbelt is a male, both wires black

Spock
08-02-2022, 07:38 PM
Light blue & red is pretty much always cluster & switch illumination
Probe it & see if a test lamp lights up with the headlamp switch turned on & if you can dim it

Ponyryd
08-02-2022, 10:43 PM
There’s never a connector for the pass side, and keep in mind that on many, many cars (including foxes) there are connectors with nothing in them from the factory, your ocd need to make peace with that, lol.
Fix that e-brake cable while you’re in there though ;)

Frankie
08-03-2022, 10:38 AM
If you probe the male end is there power on it?
Looks like the connector for the power lumbar to me.

ChickenLips
08-03-2022, 11:23 AM
I bought this car as a roller and found the connectors coupled when I pulled the carpet. I'll look at the seats for connectors. I think the power lumbar connector is beside the fuel relay but will check and report back.

I also agree with Spock on light blue/red being cluster related. Any diagram or connector listing I've come across says cluster but there's no cluster in the center console area. Puzzling.

ChickenLips
08-03-2022, 04:09 PM
Light blue & red is pretty much always cluster & switch illumination
Probe it & see if a test lamp lights up with the headlamp switch turned on & if you can dim it

good idea. I'll have to modify the test as I'm about 1/2 done a harness tuck and have no battery (or driveline) in the car. Of course I just installed the cluster and switches a few days ago. Would have been easy to check continuity prior to the installing, now, a little more difficult.

I'll look at a diagram, maybe I can check continuity if I pop the headlight switch and probe the pins.

ChickenLips
08-03-2022, 04:13 PM
If you probe the male end is there power on it?
Looks like the connector for the power lumbar to me.

Power lumbar connector confirmed beside the fuel pump relay

ChickenLips
08-03-2022, 04:18 PM
I dug out a manual fro a 93. Maybe the differences are minimal between the 91 I’m working on and 93. In any case I’ll dump in the diagrams here for reference. Maybe someone will find them useful if investigating this thread. I’ve got both halves of the harness connectors positioned so that I can fish them under the carpert for a reconnect when i eventually get around to powering up the car. I can use this thread as my “Google Memory”

ChickenLips
08-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Remaining images