PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gasoline Smell

Scott
07-17-2022, 10:06 AM
Forgot a 10L gas can in the back of the Explorer for several days in the hot sun.When I opened the back the can had overflowed onto the Weathertech liner. To me shock the gas seeped through the liner onto the stowed seat back. Of corse there is an overwhelming gas smell in the car.

Other than use a carpet cleaner on the carpet seat back are there any other pro cleaning tips? Any suggestions on how to get rid of the gas smell in the car?

ZR
07-17-2022, 10:08 AM
Take it to a pro with a proper steam cleaner / extractor, they will also have chemicals made to specifically target odors. Too bad one of the carpet cleaning trucks we build isn't in for service, slam dunk with a machine that size.
If you can't locate anyone, next best option would be scrub with lots of hot hot hot water mixed with dish soap and a wet-dry vac.

redo75
07-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Is a match or lighter a solution??
I heard it was a solution for some car problems on some US car forums.

Minaccia
07-18-2022, 01:19 AM
If you can borrow an Ozonizer that may work, we bought a used CR-V and it smelled like a wet dog. A couple of days using an Ozonizer and the smell was gone, we borrowed it from a car detailer.

Laffs
07-18-2022, 10:18 AM
If you can borrow an Ozonizer that may work, we bought a used CR-V and it smelled like a wet dog. A couple of days using an Ozonizer and the smell was gone, we borrowed it from a car detailer.

x2. Find an Ozone Generator and run it. You have to air the car out for a while after using it but should eliminate the smell.

5.4MarkVIII
07-18-2022, 10:58 AM
IMO best take it to a pro to have it ozoned.

Long time ago in the body shop we had one sent out and something happened with either the settings or the time and all the rubber in the car went bad. The floor mats literally disintegrated. And alot of other rubber discoloured.

Good chance the tech has improved since then.

Scott
07-18-2022, 01:03 PM
Is a match or lighter a solution??
I heard it was a solution for some car problems on some US car forums.

The Commander and Chief aka High Commander still calls the 2019 Explorer a new car so I am ruling out the match or lighter solution. BTW we must visit the same US forums.