PDA

View Full Version : Plastic film paint protection...

Stephen06GT
09-07-2020, 07:04 PM
I’m thinking about getting this for my new truck and would like to hear from those that have had it applied to their own vehicles. Are you happy with it, would you do it again to another vehicle, what product did you go with and where did you have it done.
Thanks
Stephen

Scrape
09-07-2020, 07:11 PM
I am getting my vehicle done next week at Torontoppf.com in Vaughan. Getting the front bumper and headlights done for $700.00

The product that they are using is Xpel Ultimate Plus.

xeninworx
09-07-2020, 10:33 PM
Had PPF done on all my cars since my wife got her 2016 Accord. Then someone crashed into the front of my Civic, so it got repainted and had PPF done it too and when I got the Stang I had it done as well. My brother had both of his new cars done as well. I go to AMP Motorsport.

It’s not going to protect the car from large rocks but will stop from getting little stone chips. That’s the problem I had with my 06 Civic. Little chips everywhere on the hood and fenders. That’s why when it got repainted I had the PPF done. Not letting stone chips happen again.

Scrape, $700 sounds about right for bumper and headlights.

For the Accord and the Mustang I have full bumper, full hood, full fenders, headlights, A Pillars, front of the roof, side mirrors, door edges, door cups, fuel lid, trunk opening and the bottom edge of the trunk (cuz people always close their trunk that way). On the Stang I had them put PPF on the bumper behind the splash guards because the car being RWD, rocks will kick up and hit the bumper.

Scrape
09-08-2020, 07:48 AM
I have heard of AMP Motorsports. How was their service? What film did you go with? And of course what did something like what you did cost? I see they have many different packages.

Quicksilver
09-08-2020, 08:11 AM
I had my Jag done at "Spa for Cars" in Aurora. Very happy with the price and results.

xeninworx
09-08-2020, 08:32 AM
Service is always great. They do any car but also get high end cars. Dealerships even have them do work for their customer cars. They just did some Mercedes G Wagons. They use XPEL. I went with the regular XPEL but they have one that is a matte finish as well. They’ll make sure you leave happy. Sometimes the PPF doesn’t adhere properly and needs to get fixed or even replaced. They’ll make it right. Some people get their whole cars done.

I think for what I get done is around 3K because it’s the entire panels rather than half cuts. Stone chips can happen anywhere on the front. Doing a half cut is silly to me.

The Accord has gotten into a few accidents so when I kept taking it back I kept doing more stuff to it.
The Civic was a trade deal as me and Joe, the owner, bartered as he wanted some car parts off of me as they sell used cars. Business is slow during the winter so they sell used cars.
The Mustang was a same trade deal. Except instead of parts I sold him my Civic Si at a lesser price for him to do work on the Mustang. He actually kept the Civic for himself so every time I stop by their shop I see my old car.

But yeah I think it’s around 3K for full front coverage. I also got the side skirts done because when you or someone else get in and out of the car, the shoes rub against the side skirts.

I know it’s pricey but on the other hand you’ll just get stone chips. Then maybe rust. Then have to get new panels and repaint and hope the paint matches.

RAT ATK
09-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Hey Stephen, got my 2011 Ram done at The Detailing Shop in Newmarket when new. Still not a single stone chip. They do the work for a few of the local dealerships as well. Money well spent IMHO.

xeninworx
09-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Hey Stephen, got my 2011 Ram done at The Detailing Shop in Newmarket when new. Still not a single stone chip. They do the work for a few of the local dealerships as well. Money well spent IMHO.

Yep. If you care for your ride and plan on keeping it for a long time then it’s worth it in the end to keep the original paint intact.

There are plenty of good shops around. Initially I was trying to get a different shop to do the Accord but they were booked solid and recommended AMP and went there and obviously kept going there.

Stephen06GT
09-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Thanks to all for the recommendations.

xeninworx
09-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Forgot to mention insurance companies should cover the cost of replacing the PPF if you get into an accident. My wife’s Accord got into 2 accidents and the insurance company covered the replacement PPF.

Stephen06GT
09-08-2020, 11:32 AM
I'm going to go visit AMP during my lunch as they are close to my work.

Hutch
09-08-2020, 08:36 PM
This is something that I am looking to have done right now. I bought a 2016 Accord for a new daily. It has the protection done already on the hood and fenders but I want the roof done. I just sold my Ford Fusion and the roof was bubbling badly in several spots all from stone chips. So I don’t want that to happen to the Accord as well.

Stephen06GT
09-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Some good information here:

https://youtu.be/Gnu4n48laOY