PDA

View Full Version : Importing watercraft from the US

Ponyryd
04-19-2020, 09:25 PM
So I bought a couple jet skis from a guy I know, as I got the trailer out of his yard I noticed it had a Michigan plate on it. So the skis and trailer are all registered in Michigan, he used to live there but has been here for years. He said he would do all the importing, but he’s very slow and unmotivated, lol, so I don’t wanna put tons of work and cash into them if it’s gonna be a big deal, has anyone here done it? Not sure about the age of the trailer but it’s at least 15 years old, skis are about 25.

Laffs
04-20-2020, 12:49 AM
I don't think it's very hard. My best friend owns the marine supply store on the drive, I'll ask him tmra. Hardest part I think right now would be dealing with border given current insanity.

5.4MarkVIII
04-20-2020, 07:25 AM
does the trailer have any info or serial numbers?

my boat trailer didn't come from the states but it didn't come with any ownership, serial number or plates, I went into the MTO office and it was no problem to register it so I could get a plate for it.

Ponyryd
04-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Thx Chris, he still works in the states so I’m thinking it may not be a big deal.

I didn’t see any serials on the trailer but it’s a Triton lite so there must be some somewhere, he said he has all the paperwork, I just wanted to know if you need a broker or anything.

Laffs
04-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Sounds like you'd have to be there at border but all you need to do for the PWC's are present the US ownership and bill of sale then pay tax/duty on them at border. Trailer same as its over 15 years old provided its not titled as home built. Biggest thing I guess is having all the documents in order. The PWC's aren't covered under RIV so you could just call the border and get info to import.

Ponyryd
04-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Thx bud.