PDA

View Full Version : 407 Rant

Gr8Stang
02-16-2020, 05:03 PM
$45.76. That's what its costing me round trip to get myself to/from work. Thankfully I've got a mostly work from home gig.

Did the math, and if I had to take it mon-fri, for a full year, that would be almost $11 grand!!!

Yes, it is a shorter trip (vs. 401), but the price is quickly getting out of reach for most, save those that get to write off/expense it.

Only bright spot, was a recent "exclusive" offer that was made to me by them.....offering a flat $60/month if I get on between 7-9:30 am. and 3:30 & 6 pm. Probably because I sent them a nice letter explaining how costly their highway is and how its becoming out of reach for many to use (despite all their ads/radio commercials promoting the benefits, i.e. reduced time). I can't argue that it doesn't save time, because it does for me....but $11,000.00 for that time savings? No way Hosea!

And with Canada and teachers pensions both with significant shares in the company, and about 70+ years left on what is apparently iron clad lease contract, the only way anything *might* happen is to see a large reduction in users. I'd love to know what the penalty is to break the lease...…

I can't wait for the soon to come day when I can take their transponder and give it back to them....with a nice note attached.

Rant off.

JZ67
02-16-2020, 06:05 PM
The cost to use this highway is offside. I was in Indiana a couple of months ago and used their toll route. I did a distance of about 80 miles and my cost was $2.95. No video toll fees just a nice lady in a toll booth that took my money.

Mellow Yellow
02-16-2020, 06:13 PM
I can not understand how using this highway for commuting is beneficial.
For me though I only use it once every three or four months. As I haven’t driven in 401/Toronto traffic for decades I find that drive very frustrating. I get on near Milton to 115 to Peterborough and on way home 115 to 403 in Burlington.

Gr8Stang
02-16-2020, 07:52 PM
The cost to use this highway is offside. I was in Indiana a couple of months ago and used their toll route. I did a distance of about 80 miles and my cost was $2.95. No video toll fees just a nice lady in a toll booth that took my money.

Yep, the U.S. tolls are at the opposite end of the scale......lucky Americans in that respect. I have to wonder where we would be at now if the Harris government hadn't sold it.

Gr8Stang
02-16-2020, 07:54 PM
For me though I only use it once every three or four months. As I haven’t driven in 401/Toronto traffic for decades I find that drive very frustrating. I get on near Milton to 115 to Peterborough and on way home 115 to 403 in Burlington.

That's a long way. How much does that cost you (Milton to 115)?

RedSN
02-16-2020, 08:33 PM
For me, I have two options to get to work: “highway” 7 or highway 407. I go from the east end of Markham, to the west end. It’s 20 minutes or 40 minutes. You can’t really call hwy 7 a highway, it’s not.
Don’t really have a lot of alternate option up here.

bbriann
02-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Yep, the U.S. tolls are at the opposite end of the scale......lucky Americans in that respect. I have to wonder where we would be at now if the Harris government hadn't sold it.
Yes in USA toll roads are so cheap.
Last one I was on I was driving for like 45 minutes and cost like 3 dollars when I exited..no kidding

Gr8Stang
02-16-2020, 08:58 PM
For me, I have two options to get to work: “highway” 7 or highway 407. I go from the east end of Markham, to the west end. It’s 20 minutes or 40 minutes. You can’t really call hwy 7 a highway, it’s not.

Normally I'll take hwy 7 from Oshawa right thru to Brock in Pickering, then enter the 407. On return (from Hwy 427), I'll get off at Donald Cousins and take Hwy 7 all the way home. It saves me $4 or $5 bucks per round trip. Any yah, not sure how they get away with calling some Hwy's....a highway.

R3troGT
02-16-2020, 09:55 PM

If the Harris government had not leased (not sold) it, then Mc Skinty or Winbag would have done so in a heart beat.

Gr8Stang
02-16-2020, 11:15 PM
If the Harris government had not leased (not sold) it, then Mc Skinty or Winbag would have done so in a heart beat.

Yes very likely.....because ALL elected parties are after just one thing; maintaining their power. They don't think about their short sighted decisions (in this case, I believe Harris wanted to balance the books). I'd like to a law instituted whereby the government in power can't sell something valued more then $1B without getting the publics ok.....hold a vote/referendum.

Zexhuffer
02-17-2020, 12:44 AM
Only bright spot, was a recent "exclusive" offer that was made to me by them.....offering a flat $60/month if I get on between 7-9:30 am. and 3:30 & 6 pm. Probably because I sent them a nice letter explaining how costly their highway is and how its becoming out of reach for many to use (despite all their ads/radio commercials promoting the benefits, i.e. reduced time). I can't argue that it doesn't save time, because it does for me....but $11,000.00 for that time savings? No way Hosea!

Rant off.

Thats a steal it costs me most days between 20 and 30 each way for an average of 55 bucks a day....I started leaving earlier and driving north and through small roads which adds another hour plus on my 12 plus day as is. fuck them

92redragtop
02-17-2020, 12:51 AM
Yes very likely.....because ALL elected parties are after just one thing; maintaining their power. They don't think about their short sighted decisions (in this case, I believe Harris wanted to balance the books). I'd like to a law instituted whereby the government in power can't sell something valued more then $1B without getting the publics ok.....hold a vote/referendum.

I haven't seen the business case or DCF analysis that was done on this so not sure if the bird in hand was worth more than the future birds to be received - the debt paydown opportunity after the Rae government probably looked attractive and may or may not have been worth more than the discounted future cash flows but if it was, they should have built consumer price protections into the contract....plus they likely under-priced it.

Mellow Yellow
02-17-2020, 01:11 AM
That's a long way. How much does that cost you (Milton to 115)?

Just got the bill last week. The whole two way trip was $94.75, including $16.80 in camera charges. I don't use it enough to get a transponder.There is a trip charge of $3.00 ($1 x 3). I did get off near North York to have lunch with my son. The actual toll charges were $71.00. The bill is for the 407ETR and the 407 (provincially owned, I think).

Gr8Stang
02-17-2020, 01:17 PM
Just got the bill last week. The whole two way trip was $94.75, including $16.80 in camera charges. I don't use it enough to get a transponder.There is a trip charge of $3.00 ($1 x 3). I did get off near North York to have lunch with my son. The actual toll charges were $71.00. The bill is for the 407ETR and the 407 (provincially owned, I think).

Geez.....brutal. A transponder rental is one of the few "cheap" things in the 407 world of charges and would pay for itself on three or four trips. And yes....they nickel and dime you all over the place with the $1.00 fee each time you enter the highway.

Zutz2v
02-18-2020, 10:22 AM

I take majormack to and from Markham ( 9th line) it’s 40 minutes no matter what you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSN
02-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Maybe I should ditch the transponder and get a new set of Ontario License Plates.

Gr8Stang
02-18-2020, 10:55 AM
Maybe I should ditch the transponder and get a new set of Ontario License Plates.

I'll bet those Toll gates will have clear as day pictures of the new plates....despite cops saying they're having trouble under certain light conditions. But.....let me know if it works for you. LOL!!

Quicksilver
02-18-2020, 11:06 AM
When the 407 first opened the charge was something like $0.04/klick. Now it's 30-40 cents a km, or more, depending on time. I am a regular user of the 407 due to having to drive all over the city every day.In the last 2 years my average monthly bill has risen from about $150 to near $300. My F550 dump truck is considered a "heavy" truck and if it uses the 407 on a busy day we pay almost $1.00 per click. Absolutely rediculous.

True Blue
02-18-2020, 11:10 AM
Statement from 407.

“Our equipment can capture the plate image with no issues. We calibrate our systems whenever a new plate appears on the road and we work with the Ontario government when a change like this is made.”
Kevin Sacks
407 ETR

But at the same time they will not publicly say the new plates can't be read. Otherwise there would be line ups at Service Ontario, lol!

5.4MarkVIII
02-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Lol was just going to post something similar

Screw
02-18-2020, 08:29 PM
Statement from 407.

“Our equipment can capture the plate image with no issues. We calibrate our systems whenever a new plate appears on the road and we work with the Ontario government when a change like this is made.”
Kevin Sacks
407 ETR

But at the same time they will not publicly say the new plates can't be read. Otherwise there would be line ups at Service Ontario, lol!

Can’t be much worse than my tattered white plates , at one point there was no colour left on the symbols , I know it’s my responsibility to bring them in for replacement . I temporarily took a marker to them

LX89
02-18-2020, 10:26 PM
Should have been a no toll highway in the first place.
I remember years ago when it was free to use for 3 months and it took a big load off the 401.

JZ67
02-19-2020, 08:07 AM
It's hard to ignore the time savings but the compensation doesn't match the value. Typical Canadian attitude, we will bitch passive aggressively on a forum but won't publicly stand to make effective change. I'm no better. Fortunately my 407 bills are covered by my employer, so I don't rattle the cage.

I travel 401 everyday from Pickering to west Scarborough. Commute is 32 km one way and just under an hour - if it snows, forgetaboutit. On the days I have to go to my head office at Keele and Finch, I take the 407. I am door to door in about 35 minutes. It's 17 km further.

Scrape
02-19-2020, 08:33 AM
My Monthly bill is $100.66 before tax and 202.1 km. Talk about getting reamed! I need to stop taking it.

hammerhead
02-19-2020, 09:05 AM
I have to think it's a loser and that's why the rates are high - I don't use it much - maybe twice a year - but outside of rush our traffic it's pretty baron - maintenance and expansion must cost a ton - really glad I live north - sometimes I find Hwy. 9 a good quick route to go across the top and come down from there

Screw
02-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Daily user $280-$300 month

True Blue
02-19-2020, 10:23 AM
I have to think it's a loser and that's why the rates are high

I disagree... The point is you're paying the "luxury" price to reach your destination the fastest way in saving time. As more people use it and traffic jams occurs. It's a negative impact on the highway and what they stand for. Why sit in a traffic jam on the 407 when you can do the same on the 401 for free?
Raising the rates over and over again keeps the traffic flowing. It's a win win for the 407.
The money lost from the riders who stop using it, will be gained back (if not more) by the riders who continue using it with those ridiculous rate fees.

bbriann
02-19-2020, 10:36 AM
I think last time I used 407 it worked out to be a 1 Dollar per Minute.....

Gr8Stang
02-20-2020, 01:55 PM
It's hard to ignore the time savings but the compensation doesn't match the value. Typical Canadian attitude, we will bitch passive aggressively on a forum but won't publicly stand to make effective change. I'm no better. Fortunately my 407 bills are covered by my employer, so I don't rattle the cage.

I travel 401 everyday from Pickering to west Scarborough. Commute is 32 km one way and just under an hour - if it snows, forgetaboutit. On the days I have to go to my head office at Keele and Finch, I take the 407. I am door to door in about 35 minutes. It's 17 km further.

I was thinking.....maybe we could hire some people to form a blockade and maybe shut it down for a couple weeks and see if that gets us somewhere? Sorry.....I just couldn't resist. LOL!