PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used car with an accident claim

Uncle Buck
11-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Time to get my daughter a new to her car.

We're looking at 2012 -2015

I'm amazed how many cars have accident claim history on them.

What do you think about buying a car with an accident claim?

Stay clear period?
Stay clear over a certain claim value (how much)?
Don't worry about claims if the car looks to be fixed properly?

Laffs
11-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Personal preference. I've owned vehicles after accidents that were repaired properly and never had issues. I know others that claim the vehicle was "never right" after the hit.

For me I'd have no issue buying a car with accident history if:

- I'm buying from the owner directly and they have pictures/documentation on the accident so I can gauge the severity of the damage myself
- I know the body shop the vehicle was repaired at and have an idea of the quality of their repair work
- The vehicle is sufficiently discounted from a clean title item enough so that I know I have a cushion for potential repairs resulting from the accident, and so I'm not upside down in it immediately.
- Vehicle drives right to me

I'd personally walk away from anything with accident damage if:
- It's at a dealer that has no records/information of the accident
- Seller tries to hide the fact vehicle was in an accident
- I can see on the carfax that the vehicle was sold shortly after the repairs were made, possibly indicating that it's been a headache since or repaired subpar

mavrrrick
11-29-2019, 11:23 AM
My 300 was hit in August...$6000 + repair and drives as good as pre-accident. Depends on damage done.JMO

5.4MarkVIII
11-29-2019, 12:06 PM
As long as done proper you’ll be fine. Keep in mind as well claims don’t always tell you what. Was it a collision or hail. Did someone pop the door lock or smack a window and steal stuff.

All just usually go in as “insurance claim”

hammerhead
11-29-2019, 12:16 PM
I use the steering wheel for judgement - if it sits in the correct position and drives straight likely ok - purchased my daughter a car the claim was 6000 looking at the car it appeared to be all cosmetic (mind you the paint work had many short cuts and although it looked good at the start paint began to peel in the repaired areas) - car runs good and she still has it 3yrs now - one word of caution some lenders wont lend if the claim exceeded x amount... but yes really hard to find a used car with out a claim - especially the smaller used car dealers - best of luck!

5.4MarkVIII
11-29-2019, 12:57 PM
See if you can find out who did the repair. Some of the large repair shops have “lifetime warrenty” for work. Might not transfer owners but might be worth looking into if concerned about quality.

Ghost Rider
11-29-2019, 01:04 PM
As long as done proper you’ll be fine. Keep in mind as well claims don’t always tell you what. Was it a collision or hail. Did someone pop the door lock or smack a window and steal stuff.

All just usually go in as “insurance claim”

If the police were involved, an accident report should show up at least (I mean if it was indeed a collision) If it was settled without the cops...little harder to track down :(

Quicksilver
11-29-2019, 01:59 PM
We had some accident damage repaired on our '11 van. Side door, rear quarter dent and new tailgate. Nothing structural. The interior,s the rest of the bosy, and all mechanicals were unaffected. The damage was still $8000, which of course was on the carfax. The purchaser freaked and wanted out of the deal, until I reminded him that I had told him all of this before he made his offer. I even showed him before and after pictures. But yes, it was a sales deterrent.
This kind of damage though is strictly cosmetic and no reason not to buy the vehicle.

Hutch
11-29-2019, 04:05 PM
As long as it was fixed properly. Most bumper replacements with cost at least $2k now. My 2010 I bought as a right off but had a clean title. I bought it and fixed it for half of what they where selling for at the time. I have driven the car for 4 years now and have had no issues at all. Actually it’s been one of the best cars I have bought. It’s back in the body shop because I got rear ended. $2k bill to replace the rear bumper.
So stuff like that I don’t care about. If I’m buying a car for daily and it has an accident history I’m for sure not paying the same money as one that hasn’t because the value of the car is less if I ever have to resell.

5.4MarkVIII
11-29-2019, 04:40 PM
If the police were involved, an accident report should show up at least (I mean if it was indeed a collision) If it was settled without the cops...little harder to track down :(

Sorry didn’t know they were showing accident reports now. Haven’t pulled a car fax in years. Remember it was all just “insurance claim”

Foxstang
11-29-2019, 06:06 PM
These days 10 grand of damage is basically a broken headlight lol...

Uncle Buck
11-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks all

Kind of where my head was. I don't Know how much detail is on the carfax report. Guess I'll find out.

I'll bring my tape measure with me. At the end of the day it's buyer beware.

I spoke to one guy who told me the car had two claims, totalling $27k. He said don't worry it was fixed just like new and he'll toss in a warranty. Lol

Ger
11-30-2019, 12:56 AM
Also be aware that many cars see a body shop without it showing up on the Carfax report. So, buy a paint thickness gauge for 30 bucks and check all metal panels. Accept that most used cars will have either or both bumper covers resprayed. Check panel fit and gaps. Under the hood, look for missing fasteners i.e. the plastic push type. Obviously look closely for sandpaper scratches, orange peel, fish eyes. overspray, etc... you should be able to see clear reflection in the paint. if it's fuzzy, that panel was painted.
If you plan on keeping the car long term then an accident repair of uhder $10,000 should be fine. As was mentioned, at time of resale, many buyers will pass on a Carfax vehicle.
You are looking at fairly new so hopefully a virgin car will come along. Good Luck

Ghost Rider
11-30-2019, 01:00 AM
Check panel fit and gaps.

yeah, if everything looks good...that means it was repaired... cause panel fit and gaps are horrible from the factory LOL

Ponyryd
11-30-2019, 03:26 AM
I use the steering wheel for judgement - if it sits in the correct position and drives straight likely ok - purchased my daughter a car the claim was 6000 looking at the car it appeared to be all cosmetic (mind you the paint work had many short cuts and although it looked good at the start paint began to peel in the repaired areas) - car runs good and she still has it 3yrs now - one word of caution some lenders wont lend if the claim exceeded x amount... but yes really hard to find a used car with out a claim - especially the smaller used car dealers - best of luck!

No offence, but steering wheel means little to nothing to determine the quality of a car. I could make a car go dead straight if it was a Mustang with a Camaro rear half welded on, it’s not that hard, lol. On the other hand a light hit on a curb can throw the wheel off center.

As stated it depends on the hit, and the body shop, some hits are no big deal, others are a walk away situation.

ZR
11-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Yes all too common to find a used vehicle thats had prior damage. Key to not getting burned, confirm repair has been done properly and if your not able to yourself, have a pro look it over first.

hammerhead
11-30-2019, 10:34 AM
No offence, but steering wheel means little to nothing to determine the quality of a car. I could make a car go dead straight if it was a Mustang with a Camaro rear half welded on, it’s not that hard, lol. On the other hand a light hit on a curb can throw the wheel off center.

As stated it depends on the hit, and the body shop, some hits are no big deal, others are a walk away situation.

none taken - salvage vehicles and frame straighteners is a whole other license from a typical body shop - the car could be dead straight but the steering wheel could be a little off, a good indication of the type of damage and after some use other neglected or missed problems will likely rear their ugly heads....if the front half of your mustang camaro concoction never had front end damage then no steering wheel issues will be present at first glance....

Gr8Stang
11-30-2019, 05:14 PM
I'd shy away from buying a previous accident history car because its such a PITA when it comes time to try and sell it....for all the reasons mentioned earlier.

Ponyryd
11-30-2019, 08:02 PM
none taken - salvage vehicles and frame straighteners is a whole other license from a typical body shop - the car could be dead straight but the steering wheel could be a little off, a good indication of the type of damage and after some use other neglected or missed problems will likely rear their ugly heads....if the front half of your mustang camaro concoction never had front end damage then no steering wheel issues will be present at first glance....

Well, that’s very far from accurate actually, cars that steer from the rear will throw the wheel off center big time, which is why a 4 wheel alignment is industry standard :)

hammerhead
11-30-2019, 10:55 PM
Well, that’s very far from accurate actually, cars that steer from the rear will throw the wheel off center big time, which is why a 4 wheel alignment is industry standard :)

you'll have to forgive me and it could very well be the blonde roots beneath all my grey - but I don't think we are on the same page...?

Oliver47
07-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Get an inspection. This tool should help https://www.quickrevs.com.au/ppsr-check . It's worth a few bucks or whatever. Unless you're really good with cars. There are things like tierods (which mechanically control steering) that could need replacing and stuff like that can cost several hundred dollars. Rearends could be leaking. CV boots could be torn. Etc. Try to get a one-owner car. All that said, once you do get a car, I would immediately change the air and fuel filters, have the oil changed, flush and refill the radiator, change the spark plugs and possibly the plug wires, and research what should be done in regard to the transmission fluid - sometimes it's good to have the fluid and filter changed in it and sometimes it's not.