PDA

View Full Version : For the bike guys...need advice on used bike

Zexhuffer
07-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Looking for a used ride and coworker has one that sounds great but i want to ask people who have more knowledge than me.

Its a 2009 vstar 1100 midnight custom
Under 4000 kms
Comes with extras.. back seat, fron fenders etc
Hasnt been ridden since 2013 cause of $, kids etc

What are youre thoughts on the bike and what the pricing should be.
Bike looks close to mint from pics.

ZR
07-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Regardless of how they look, will need rubber front and back plus service from stem to stern.

DinoZ
07-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Zex, Yamaha builds a very good bike, both sport and cruiser.

That is not much mileage for a 2009, it’s obvious the person who owned it only used occasionally and for pleasure. Typically metric cruisers don’t go for much money when compared to say a Harley Davidson in a similar category, but in my opinion are far more reliable.

You should inspect the bike at several points looking for scrapes at foot pegs, bar ends, axle points which would indicate a drop. Drops are ok, most owners do drop their bikes, sh*t happens.

You will most likely need all fluids replaced including brake and possibly fork fluids. The usual tire date inspection, brake pads etc.

Sounds like the bike could be a very good buy

Ziggyzag420
07-26-2019, 01:34 PM
How much is he asking for the bike , I just sold my 2016 Suzuki Boulevard M50 with 3400 kilometres last week , I purchased the bike new in June 2017 for $ 7500.00 it was a leftover

JZ67
07-27-2019, 08:33 AM
What's already been said plus factor in it will likely need a new battery. I wouldn't turn a wheel that's been sitting for this long. Replacing the tires is an absolute must. I would take what he is asking, deduce the expenses needed less a little more and make that the starting point. The VStar is a solid bike, you won't regret the purchase.

90LXCoupe
07-28-2019, 01:29 AM
Vstar 1100 owner here. Best advice I can give you is this. DO NOT USE THE THROTTLE WHILE STARTING THE BIKE. You will kill the starter clutch. Choke only. If the current owner twists the throttle while starting the bike you will need it repaired at some point. Guaranteed.

IanGTCS
07-29-2019, 08:58 PM
A coworker has the midnight edition. Likes it a lot but found that getting replacement cosmetic parts harder. Took him a fairly long time to find a matching replacement brake handle/cylinder after he laid his down. Or at least without spending more than he wanted to.

Great thing about the vstar is that it has a huge aftermarket.