PDA

View Full Version : Lee Iacocca, who helped create the Ford Mustang and then rescued Chrysler in the 1980

Minaccia
07-02-2019, 10:20 PM
New York (CNN Business)Auto industry icon Lee Iacocca, once one of America's highest profile business executives and credited with rescuing Chrysler from near-bankruptcy in the 1980s, has died. He was 94.

He was instrumental in the creation of the Ford Mustang and the Chrysler minivan.
Iacocca's youngest daughter confirmed he passed away of natural causes Tuesday. He is survived by two daughters and eight grandchildren.

Lee Iacocca Fast Facts
Born in Allentown, Pennsylvania, on October 15, 1924, he would go on to lead two major American car companies.
Iacocca started working at Ford Motor Company in 1946, and was a major figure in the development of the Ford Mustang — the first vehicle of its kind. He was named president of Ford in 1970, but was fired by Henry Ford Jr. in 1978.
"I began my life as the son of immigrants, and I worked my way up to the presidency of the Ford Motor Company," Iacocca wrote in his 1984 autobiography. "When I finally got there, I was on top of the world. But then fate said to me: 'Wait. We're not finished with you. Now you're going to find out what it feels like to get kicked off Mt. Everest!'"
He was then hired by Chrysler Corp. in 1978 and became the company's CEO in 1979. He is credited with saving the company from bankruptcy

The American consumer may remember him best from a series of Chrysler TV commercials, in which he said, "if you can find a better car, buy it."
He retired from Chysler in 1992. In 1995, Iacocca sued the company accusing it of illegally preventing him from exercising stock options. Chrysler then filed suit against him, saying he gave confidential information to Kirk Kerkorian — who tried to take over the company.
Chrysler and Iacocca settled their lawsuits in 1996...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/02/business/lee-iacocca-obituary/index.html?fbclid=IwAR185WoTYEQdgvDAnV9r0eKyBwGgq2 OcjOdJEcB_k6uxVLPXPCT4jInc2IE

Ponyryd
07-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Brilliant man. Rip.

stangstevers
07-03-2019, 07:35 AM
A legend for sure!

mavrrrick
07-03-2019, 07:55 AM
R.I.P. sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Buck
07-03-2019, 08:09 AM
An automotive master. RIP

RedSN
07-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Also gave us the Pinto! :thumbsup:

Amazing, long, successful career. Farewell Lee.

hammerhead
07-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Cab forward! Lee and Carol together again RIP

fast Ed
07-03-2019, 09:25 AM
If he and Henry Ford II could have got along, he would have been at Ford much longer along with the designers who came up with the minvan concept ... Ford and Chrysler's fortunes through the 1980s and beyond would have been much different.

R.I.P. to a giant of the industry.

Small blurb from Bill Ford about his passing, and a couple of historical photos here:

https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/news/2019/7/iacocca.html

StratGT
07-03-2019, 01:56 PM
I did a school project on Lido...considered by many to be the man who saved Chrysler.

After Henry Ford II rejected Lido's new automotive ideas, he accepted the Chairmen position at Chrysler and brought his K-Car and Minivan designs with him...along with the people who co-designed them. The rest is history.

Many of my family members including myself worked at Windsor Minivan...he was very well regarded by management and well respected by the workers. When Plant 3 was retooled in Windsor for the Minivan, a majority a business' and local manufactures placed ads in the Windsor Star...it was the largest ever edition of the Windsor Star and remains the largest in the papers history. I can assure you that Windsor is in mourning.

When I think of the automotive greats throughout history...he's at the top of the list.

RIP Lee Iacocca

Darkhorse
07-03-2019, 09:36 PM
RIP to a pure marketing genius.

LOL @ the Ford Granada pics tho…….my parents had one for a short time.....what a POS.

Mustang4
07-03-2019, 10:51 PM
RIP Lee. You made life better for a lot of people.

Stephen06GT
07-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Thank you Mr. Iacocca for the Mustang. May you rest in peace.