PDA

View Full Version : Riding Tractor Lawn Mower

redo75
06-03-2019, 10:08 PM
Looking for suggestions for a riding lawn mower. As I and the wife age a push style is getting harder to use.
Any suggestions for a 42" cutting range with an auto style tranny.

Minaccia
06-03-2019, 11:10 PM
Our Toro LX 420 still works and runs strong.

stangstevers
06-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Most brands are made by MTD (or LTD?) anyway... unless you go with John Deer.

5.4MarkVIII
06-04-2019, 07:29 AM
if your looking for the long haul. Kubota or John Deere (from a proper dealer, the ones licensed to lowes are not the same)

if your looking for budget friendly then what ever is comfortable and has a cup holder, lol

Uncle Buck
06-04-2019, 08:32 AM
This^^

Basically all the big box ride on mowers are MTD and are ok but not great. I had an older Cub Cadet 17 hp twin. It was awesome. When it finally gave up I bought a 22hp John Deere from Home Depot. The CC was way better in every way. More power, better cut and put together solid. The JD was ok but kind of wish I had fixed the CC.

So, for the long haul buy from a dealer and get a real mower or go cheaper at the big box store but temper your expectations. They are not the same.

Scrape
06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
I run a Snapper and is pretty decent. Not the cheapest by far but not John Deere prices.

https://www.snapper.com/content/dam/snapper/eu/en_gb/images/products/carousels/SnapperEUEN_Products_Carousel_ClassicRider.png

5.4MarkVIII
06-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Those are good little rigs. Good step up if your tired of pushing and easy to fix, drive and see, plus don’t take up much room in terms of storage

RedSN
06-04-2019, 09:23 AM
I run a Snapper...
https://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Lawnmower-640x417.jpg

Scrape
06-04-2019, 09:41 AM
https://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Lawnmower-640x417.jpg

LMAO Don!!! :spitcoffee: That is how I look actually.

Quicksilver
06-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Don't buy a power anything from a Big Box. They are built to the Box's specifications and are not direct analogues to anything the manufacturer sells at it's own dealer. They are lower quality and the service is horrible. I bought a Cub Cadet from Home Depot and when it broke I had to take to th0eir service depot in Etobicoke. There is a local Cub Cadet dealer here in Stouffville, but they could not (or would not: I was never quite sure) honour the warranty even though it was brand new. Even the drive belt (which broke 11 times) is different on the Home Depot unit from the closest model at the dealer.
I now have a Toro zero-turn ride-on commercial unit and it is AWESOME

JZ67
06-04-2019, 05:43 PM
Like most things that have a decent price tag, some research is needed. The intended use will help direct your choices. Of course I know it is intended to make long grass short, but what are the landscape conditions? Flat, hilly, really steep hills, etc. What is the size of your yard? How long do you want to be out there cutting the grass for?

I suggest you start your search at a dealer that can give you some direction help you narrow your choices, then do some internet searching and check out the reviews. I love YouTube for this sort of stuff.

I was on the hunt years ago and found that the local dealers were really genuinely helpful and the pricing was competitive. It's kind of like buying a car, eventually you will need the service or parts team so you really should find a dealer that treats you well.

Good luck.

redo75
06-04-2019, 08:51 PM
OK, thanks for quick replies. Head office sent a memo to get one ASAP so she doesn't need to use the push mover again on our wet and long grass that clumps like crazy. Louie's, rona and home depot all had same bottom end junk, so looked for a good dealer but not that many choices in London. So I am going with a full dealer in Hensall who is delivering to me a 48" Husqvarna with 24HP and cruise control.
Now I need to add a radio and maybe a supercharger/turbo combo.
Thanks again, OH when is the next cruise night?

5.4MarkVIII
06-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Brian’s will treat you right.

Also wave next time your in town. Lol

redo75
06-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Thanks but he is delivering it to me, no trailer hitch on car. Too far for me to drive it on gravel shoulder to London. |Will tell him you said hi.

Screw
06-04-2019, 11:05 PM
LMAO Don!!! :spitcoffee: That is how I look actually.

I thought u lived in a condo ?

Scrape
06-05-2019, 06:50 AM
I thought u lived in a condo ?

I do. My folks place is my second home. That is part of the reason why I bought a condo at the time. Two houses to maintain would kill me. Summer, fall and winter are tough times. Grass, hedges, trees, leaves, snow, etc...