PDA

View Full Version : 60” wood gate hanging off 4x4 post?

Ponyryd
05-04-2019, 11:55 AM
So I built a gate to go on the side of the house, it will go from the 4x4 post that is currently used for the fence (2 years old) between my neighbour and I to the chimney of my house. I mounted a 2x4 to the chimney with tapcons into the mortar and some glue on the back for good measure, and I’ll be screwing another 2x4 to that one to hide the screws and space the latch out.it will rarely be used.
So my question is, will the 4x4 be enough to support the gate? It’s pretty heavy but it’s only a one-sided gate with a box frame and cross braces. Personally I tend to try to overbuild stuff to eliminate any potential issues down the road, but maybe I’m just being paranoid....

RedSN
05-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Post will be fine. How is the post embedded in the ground?
Possible to run a brace from the top of the post, across the top of the gate, and braced to the chimney?

Ponyryd
05-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Post is set in concrete. A brace could work, maybe I’ll hang it and see if it needs one after that.

5.4MarkVIII
05-04-2019, 01:13 PM
I would defer to don. but would mostly depend on if the post was set properly.

when we did our gate (15 feet wide two sections) I used 6x6 posts and then another 6x6 from post to post but didn't want to limit the height going in. so set the cross post just below grade, been 5 years and it hasn't sagged at all.

on our small man gate it spans about 40 inches between the garage (sided) and the house (brick). I put the latch side tapconed into the brick as you are saying and after 5 years of kids slamming it, it need to be fixed, screws are all loose. not 100% sure when the best way to remedy is.

Ponyryd
05-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Thx, like I said the gate will be used very rarely, it’s on the far side of the house and really the only reason I can see it being used is for the guy to read the hydro meter. I may use it once or twice a year otherwise. I’ve got 8 tapcons in it but only 6 of them bit, as well I used PL 4000 on the brick for additional support, so I’m hoping it will be fine.
The fence was done by a fencing company, it was a few grand so I hope it was done right, lol.

5.4MarkVIII
05-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Pl might the the answer for mine as well.

With limited use probably be fine either way. Kids just break everything lol

Screw
05-04-2019, 07:57 PM
You mentioned drilling tapcons into mortar ...not good idea , into the brick ...and if they are not biting brick maybe your bits too big

Ponyryd
05-04-2019, 09:01 PM
^Its basically just dirt there and it’s often wet on that side cuz it gets no real sun. Would need a huge tire.

You mentioned drilling tapcons into mortar ...not good idea , into the brick ...and if they are not biting brick maybe your bits too big

Why not? That’s all I’ve ever learned and that was from a friend who did construction, he said the mortar is strong enough, and if you take them out later it’s very easy to patch.

Screw
05-04-2019, 09:52 PM
^Its basically just dirt there and it’s often wet on that side cuz it gets no real sun. Would need a huge tire.

Why not? That’s all I’ve ever learned and that was from a friend who did construction, he said the mortar is strong enough, and if you take them out later it’s very easy to patch.

Mortar crumbles , I go in brick only with tapcons no spinning no plugs

Ponyryd
05-04-2019, 09:59 PM
I figured as long as they bit well they should hold, especially since it’s glued as well. I think I have some smaller tapcons around here, maybe I’ll toss a few into the brick as well.

Screw
05-04-2019, 10:03 PM
I figured as long as they bit well they should hold, especially since it’s glued as well. I think I have some smaller tapcons around here, maybe I’ll toss a few into the brick as well.

With the right bit you won’t be disappointed.

Ponyryd
05-04-2019, 10:11 PM
With the right bit you won’t be disappointed.

I always keep the bits they come with in the boxes with the screws, I’ve got a few around, I suppose 4 more couldn’t hurt. Regardless, there’s really no load on it, it’s just the latch side.

Screw
05-04-2019, 10:41 PM
If no load on it you should be okay

RedSN
05-05-2019, 09:20 AM
I thought I was the only one to overengineer everything?

Post pics when done.

Quicksilver
05-05-2019, 02:42 PM
As a fence builder for 40 years i would never build a 5' wide gate and hang it from a 4x4. Believe it or not the post will actually bend and sag over time. We always use a 6x6 gate post, buried 4' deep.
In your case, putting some sort of a brace across the top would help.

Dilbert
05-05-2019, 02:49 PM
I wouldn’t hang anything with a tampon :facepalm:

Ponyryd
08-30-2019, 08:07 PM
So with all the kids sports and stuff done I finally got a chance to finish this. I know some think it’s too much load for the 4x4 but as I said it won’t be used much at all, and I got a big slide-pin for a lock, so the house will hold a lot of the load I’m sure.
Anyways, here’s some pics of the job, first the single 2x4, I used falcons in the mortar because that’s what I was told by my construction buddy, but after posting this thread I added 8 more right into the brick, then covered that board with another for spacing, and looks. I’m thinking of maybe installing a wheel on the bottom if I find the post sagging next year.

3 top pics are before, 4th pic is the old gate at at the backward, last pic is the front view of the new gate

Ponyryd
08-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Here’s the last few I have, if anyone has any advice or opinions good/bad go ahead and share, I don’t care much, I really just wanted to access the side of the house from the backyard.

Laffs
08-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Is the hinge on the 2x4 Tapon'd to the house? If so you're totally fine, since its anchored to the house there's no way its sagging.

Ponyryd
08-30-2019, 08:58 PM
No, the hinges are on the 4x4 fence post, which is part of the fence between me and the neighbour, that fence is maybe 3 years old. There is only one 2x4 tapcon’d to the chimney on the house, it probably has 10 tapcons and then a 2x4 screwed to it that has a barrel lock. Not sure why the pics aren’t showing, but in the post above yours there are 2 pics of it, just gotta click them.

Oh, and you were right about that Truck, was a Cat, not a Cummins :)

Laffs
08-30-2019, 09:00 PM
No, the hinges are on the 4x4 fence post, which is part of the fence between me and the neighbour, that fence is maybe 3 years old. There is only one 2x4 tapcon’d to the chimney on the house, it probably has 10 tapcons and then a 2x4 screwed to it that has a barrel lock. Not sure why the pics aren’t showing, but in the post above yours there are 2 pics of it, just gotta click them.

Oh, and you were right about that Truck, was a Cat, not a Cummins :)

See.....now I want it.

5.4MarkVIII
08-31-2019, 08:35 AM

is that your dryer vent? If so, its too small of a cap and too close to the ground. you'll save some money in efficacy if you change it out for a proper 4 inch cap, or because of how close to the ground an flap style that blows straight out.

gate looks good :highfive:

Ponyryd
08-31-2019, 09:09 AM
I had a gas fireplace insert installed, pretty sure it’s for that, my laundry room isn’t near here, but thanks for the advice!

See.....now I want it.

I think it’s gone, lol.

5.4MarkVIII
08-31-2019, 11:25 AM
That would be worse. Lol. Cold storage or bathroom near there?

RedSN
08-31-2019, 12:32 PM
^^^not sure I would have used an “LOL” there. Improper exhaust would be serious.

5.4MarkVIII
08-31-2019, 01:01 PM
True.
But I doubt it’s a gas insert vent. Would never pass any inspection being plastic and that close to both the ground and iirc the meter.

Most likely either a bathroom vent of a cold room vent.

Hopefully.

Ponyryd
08-31-2019, 04:35 PM
Yup, bathroom right next to fireplace. Damnit, now I gotta trace it and see where it goes, lol. Thx.

5.4MarkVIII
08-31-2019, 06:46 PM
“Safety is our number one priority”

Ponyryd
08-31-2019, 10:40 PM
Lol, yea thanks, it looks like it was a vent for the chimney bricks, there were some bricks inside the house on the sides of the fireplace that didn’t have mortar all the way around, they had 2 sides open for some kind of air venting I guess.....they were cold in the winter so I sealed them up with concrete silicone. Not sure why they were vented like that, but there was a wood-burning fireplace here originally.