PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question

F1Fan
04-23-2019, 06:18 PM
I use to take my 2017 GT to Auto Spa car wash. A rather high end drive through foam car wash which is very gentle on the paint.

My new GT has the large wing on the back which my 2017 did not have .

Is it safe to take that car through a soft cloth carwash or will it damage the wing in anyway

Stephen06GT
04-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Stock wing or aftermarket?

Armen
04-23-2019, 08:54 PM
By soft cloth, do you mean a machine or humans wiping it down?

stangstevers
04-24-2019, 06:56 AM
The new fancy "german tech" wash in Mississauga? I have a friend that takes his Lambo there (or so he says).

If you have a factory wing, I'd like to think it's bolted down pretty good..

This, however, is another story
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0-WhymwujiZWNUmyuyU0dnMPEAp3FYvKKeArdNbEcveWNObx8bg

FABMAN
04-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Personally not a fan of any automated wash as they all scratch. Touch less if you are really pressed for time but still don’t love the harsh chemicals they use either but at least they don’t scratch the finish.

stangstevers
04-24-2019, 07:42 AM
You can also come by my place... $5 gets a bikini wash.

Warning: I'm the one wearing the bikini.

maxwell6
04-24-2019, 07:50 AM
LOL thanks for the mental image.:sarcasm:

RedSN
04-24-2019, 09:30 AM
still, $5 for a wash ain't bad.

F1Fan
04-24-2019, 08:48 PM
WAIT...do I wear the bikini? No one will want me in a bikini. Trust me.
German tech? Could be. It’s called Auto Spa and yes in Mississauga. It’s soft cloth, NOT touchless. But it is some sort of “European” tech as I was told. Closed cell foam which will not hold grit. I used it several times with the old wingless 2017. Never saw a single mark. Many exotics use it so I think it’s safe that way.
But yes, it’s the factory wing on my 2019 GT. I would like to think it’s safe, but just thought I would run it by you people thinking someone’s been into that sort of thing

F1Fan
04-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Here it is

Mustang4
04-24-2019, 11:24 PM
Car is similar to mine. Rear spoiler is securely attached. Still why not pay for someone to wash by hand. Always afraid of getting some sort of marks that I have to take off.

stangstevers
04-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Washing the car is about the only thing I still enjoy with the hobby. A few beers (assuming you're not driving right after), some sun and fresh air...

(albeit, gotta be careful, you could get a DUI for washing a car whilst drinking).

FABMAN
04-25-2019, 07:23 AM
You car is looks awesome in velocity blue!

ZR
04-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Auto Car wash of any description and your pride n joy summer ride to me is a problem looking for a place to happen. Hand wash or nothin!!!

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Agree with ZR
Those soft cloth invites paint swirls, and once it goes in you’ll be spending time doing some paint correction much sooner eventually.
If you are pressed for time sometimes- touchless, when you have some time wash it at the bay ( bring your wash mitts) do it by hand.
I think RAY721 (thread)had an unfortunate experience with a soft cloth place that claimed it doesn’t scratch, but it’s up to you I’ve never took a chance on those soft cloth so maybe it doesn’t cause swirls.

Beautiful Stang congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F1Fan
04-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments.
Yes , maybe I will look into the other options they have at Auto Spa. Unfortunately in my 50’s I have all sorts of energy to drive it but not to wash it.

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments.
Yes , maybe I will look into the other options they have at Auto Spa. Unfortunately in my 50’s I have all sorts of energy to drive it but not to wash it.

Yup me too ( don’t have the patience or time anymore, I rather drive)and mine is black too.
I have an auto spa here in Burlington too i’ve run the Mazda through the automated but honestly no way I would run my stang through - those cloth bang the car pretty good and that last huge turn thing near the wheels wells towards the end - ouch. Those exotics ( rare) that I do see go through- well they probably have spare dough for someone to do paint correction anyway lol. It’s funny I never see the manager/ owner run his new c63s through it( he lives nearby)
I just use the bay but instead of using the brush they have I use my mitts- I do the whole car for $6 usually. $3 let time run run don’t add coins, another $3 for any additional soaping then rise it. If there’s no one waiting just dry her in there too.

F1Fan
04-25-2019, 12:18 PM
I did take my 2017 through a few times and I saw no damage. But who knows over time.
Ya, the Burlington place is the same as the one here in mississauga

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Yup me too ( don’t have the patience or time anymore, I rather drive)and mine is black too.
I have an auto spa here in Burlington too i’ve run the Mazda through the automated but honestly no way I would run my stang through - those cloth bang the car pretty good and that last huge turn thing near the wheels wells towards the end - ouch. Those exotics ( rare) that I do see go through- well they probably have spare dough for someone to do paint correction anyway lol. It’s funny I never see the manager/ owner run his new c63s through it( he lives nearby)
I just use the bay but instead of using the brush they have I use my mitts- I do the whole car for $6 usually. $3 let time run run don’t add coins, another $3 for any additional soaping then rise it. If there’s no one waiting just dry her in there too.

My two girls like to help me and when their done I have to do it's over again...lol boy do they get insulted so I have to wait until their not looking.

Styrofoam04
04-25-2019, 12:55 PM
love the colour!!

as for soft cloth:

If you like swirls and holograms on that beautiful colour then you are good to go!
If you want a deep slick look and feel.... then NO! Nothing should touch the paint!

If you have to, always touch the paint with the fattest softest microfiber you can find
https://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

When hot babes in bikinis wanna a selfie with your car and they lean on it or touch the paint... you have to be firm but polite... "please, don't touch the paint"

BTW This happens to me all the time, it can get annoying!! Just this past Saturday at Costco in fact, while I was buying 200 rolls of toilet paper and a 5kg jar of Nutella and this happens:
https://i.postimg.cc/6qN99HQQ/Trueblue-GT.jpg

Then again at the park??
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=82494

And I get really upset from all the scratches when they climb on the hood:
https://i.postimg.cc/3RG8QMY6/blueGT.jpg

In the end it comes down to your preference.

Cheers

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 01:02 PM
My two girls like to help me and when their done I have to do it's over again...lol boy do they get insulted so I have to wait until their not looking.

At least you have helpers!!! Like a pre wash lol
My two would have to YouTube how to wash your car - 20&15 lol

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 01:26 PM
love the colour!!

as for soft cloth:

If you like swirls and holograms on that beautiful colour then you are good to go!
If you want a deep slick look and feel.... then NO! Nothing should touch the paint!

If you have to, always touch the paint with the fattest softest microfiber you can find
https://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

When hot babes in bikinis wanna a selfie with your car and they lean on it or touch the paint... you have to be firm but polite... "please, don't touch the paint"

BTW This happens to me all the time, it can get annoying!! Just this past Saturday at Costco in fact, while I was buying 200 rolls of toilet paper and a 5kg jar of Nutella and this happens:
https://i.postimg.cc/6qN99HQQ/Trueblue-GT.jpg

Then again at the park??
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=82494

And I get really upset from all the scratches when they climb on the hood:
https://i.postimg.cc/3RG8QMY6/blueGT.jpg

In the end it comes down to your preference.

Cheers

Some guys have all the like must be my Donald Trump corn husk old man 80's hair flapping in the breeze that scares them - can't even compete with toilet paper ...lol its almost time for my once a year grooming...hahaha

Styrofoam04
04-25-2019, 01:33 PM
lol,

In reality my car only attracts Old Guys! "Your car is nifty. Is it a 302 single carb?"

Same thing goes for the handlebar mustache or the full beard except these Guys are hipsters...."Dood noice beard!"

NickD
04-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'd like a tutorial on wash bay washing (doesn't it have a sign saying not too?)
I am too lazy to take the pressure washer out at home and wash either car. The new ones been dirty since I bought it with only occasional shell touchless washes that doesn't really clean it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blackmare
04-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Most do have a sign stating no hand washing, but if no one is waiting for the bay, I see no harm in it.

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 01:55 PM
I'm dyeing to get a carnauba buzz with the s550 that's going to be a lazy afternoon...

Styrofoam04
04-25-2019, 02:02 PM
I'm dyeing to get a carnauba buzz with the s550 that's going to be a lazy afternoon...
hahha

I can't stop sniffing this stuff
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1041/5056/products/Bead_Maker_Paint_Protection_16oz.png?v=1542033409

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Axe should make that in body spray deodorant then we will get the chicks draping themselves on our rides

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 03:28 PM
I'd like a tutorial on wash bay washing (doesn't it have a sign saying not too?)
I am too lazy to take the pressure washer out at home and wash either car. The new ones been dirty since I bought it with only occasional shell touchless washes that doesn't really clean it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes nick but no one waiting. I do a modified 2 bucket,
Or some have soap gun lightly spraying as I wipe one direction

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Axe should make that in body spray deodorant then we will get the chicks draping themselves on our rides

Don’t worry- no chicks drape over my car either not like styrofoam-
Annnnnndddd I’m a “handsome “ lollol
Dude! It MUST be the car!