PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the notch

stangstevers
04-22-2019, 08:53 AM
My mind is made up and I will be parting with it. Now comes the questions... It's not a mint 5,000km original notch worth like 30 grand USD.

Looking at history (local) it's worth anywhere between 14 and 17.5 as it sits. I'd say it's at the top range because of the quality and/or rarity of the parts. It's not a jumbled together turd with chinese parts for example. It's a factory 5.0/T5 no-option notch. The interior, engine bay, underside is all mint or near mint. Issues is with the old-paint and a few bugs like an oil leak and the stupid 2.73 gearing which I never bothered to upgrade to 3.73 (which I have all the parts for).

Should I liquidate, as-is and see what happens. I will refuse to sell it below my cost. That's my limit and I'd rather donate it to a cause or set it on fire for youtube views than to sell it below my cost. Just the way I am. Or should I finish the project and see if I can reach the 20's?

I think once the gears are in, the oil leak and other small bugs are fixed, this will be a very good turn-key notch for someone. The paint isn't mint but it just means the person can enjoy it without guilt. My cost to fix those issues is under a grand anyway. But I'm so bored with working on cars. I think the middle zone is to sell it as-is with a trunk load of parts (oil pan, gaskets, oil, 3.73 gears, change kit and whatever fox specific things I have including the old school scanner). One could pretty much change the clutch without getting their hands dirty... LOL

RedSN
04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't bother with the gears, buyer can select whatever gear they want. Offer the gear set as an extra.
Sell it as is.

Where is the oil leak?

Armen
04-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Although Foxbodies have risen in value, I think sellers need to be realistic in what they think the car is actually going to sell for. People can post up their rides for sale at whatever price they want but I’d bet that what they get offered is a far cry from what they want.

stangstevers
04-22-2019, 10:17 AM
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for. The hard part is to find someone who can math and is reasonable to negotiate with in good terms. Foxes are ridiculous these days, 10 grand doesn't get you much unless you spend a lot of time searching and visiting crap boxes all over the GTA.

stangstevers
04-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Placeholder for inventory... If anyone is curious.

Tools:
Engine hoist "cherry picker"
Engine stand
90's ScanTool for EECIV
Jack stands

Extra Parts:
Gaskets + new oil pan
New clutch (forgot the brand but it wasn't cheap)
Oil filters and other consumables
Door panels (not needed obviously but whatever)
Misc fox parts like a big ol box of bolts
3.73 gears + install kit
Minty fox doors
Roll of spare fabric Katskinz
Mint smoke grey arm rest (that works)

Other Parts (from the Cobra project):
Recaro seats (late 70's)
Pretty complete 82 black hatch interior with seat belts
Floor pan
New set of subframe connectors
Passenger side frame rail kit
Passenger side 1/4 panel
Nose, fogs, hood and other parts for conversion (most likely sold though)

Probably more stuff, I need to form some sort of garage sale this summer. lol

hammerhead
04-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Not sure what year your fox is or what's been done to the rear end but Im pretty sure the factory gearing is 355...?

stangstevers
04-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Nope 2.73 OE gear. Crappiest of all gears. I think some autos got 3.08

1BAD92LX
04-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Mine had factory 273's also.
Sell as close to stock as possible for most return on the $.

hammerhead
04-22-2019, 11:14 AM
My 79 is factory 302/with 345 my 90 was a 302 with factory 355 - I would think with the addition of the 5spd and taller tire 16" the rear gearing was bumped to 355 - four cylinder rear end may be 273 as it was a completely different transmission in 79 - 81 anyway but I think it was also 345 to make it feel as this it had power lol

hammerhead
04-22-2019, 11:25 AM
My 79 is factory 302/with 345 my 90 was a 302 with factory 355 - I would think with the addition of the 5spd and taller tire 16" the rear gearing was bumped to 355 - four cylinder rear end may be 273 as it was a completely different transmission in 79 - 81 anyway but I think it was also 345 to make it feel as this it had power lol

Its a tough market I think it mostly boils down mostly to luck - your car looks good I think I would just sell it the way it is. Nows a good time just need to find someone in the market.

fast Ed
04-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Your 90 would not have been 3.55 from the factory, all 87-93 Mustang 5.0 had 2.73 or 3.08 as a no-cost option. It did not change with the 16" in 1991 since the overall tire diameter was the same. If you get the axle code from the door VIN and info decal you can verify what it was originally.

cheers
Ed

Armen
04-22-2019, 11:44 AM
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for. The hard part is to find someone who can math and is reasonable to negotiate with in good terms. Foxes are ridiculous these days, 10 grand doesn't get you much unless you spend a lot of time searching and visiting crap boxes all over the GTA.

Well it’s the spring and this is the time so you should easily get $16,000 then.

Mustang4
04-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Your 90 would not have been 3.55 from the factory, all 87-93 Mustang 5.0 had 2.73 or 3.08 as a no-cost option. It did not change with the 16" in 1991 since the overall tire diameter was the same. If you get the axle code from the door VIN and info decal you can verify what it was originally.

cheers
Ed

My 91 5L was 3.08 with the 5 spd, as per the door tag. Upgraded it later with a 3.55 Ford Racing.

I think you should sell it as is, since you're tired of working on them anyway. Just highlight the best elements of it.

Laffs
04-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Jump it over Snake River Canyon.

Do whatever makes most fiscal sense. You're already over invested in it, if the touches/fixes will net you more than the cost to perform (has not happened ever with modifications I think), do that. If not just move it along as is unless there's some real deep seated need to "see the project through". Personally wouldn't touch painting a car I plan to sell, the headache of dealing with a body shop, coupled with the time it takes to complete (which you're still paying insurance during) all to get it back then start the sale process. No thanks....TBH sounds like as much as you're "set" on moving it, sounds like there's a hope that once the project is done maybe you'd end up wanting to keep it.

stangstevers
04-23-2019, 09:01 AM
yeah thanks everyone for putting some common sense in me.

I've been bad at selling off my inventory because of everything that's going on I didn't have time to deal with nickle and dime stuff. I think I will post the notch up for sale @ 17k and see what happens I do have a serious bite on the car right now so let's see what happens maybe I won't have to post it after all. It's not a "going broke" sale and I have more than enough room for it but do want to get out of the hobby. I may even have sold my website.

I'm going to move my crap into the garage, I'd rather do a bulk deal even if it costs me more than individual. I got more schooling coming up and the MBA stuff is taking a lot of time as well.