PDA

View Full Version : Post whatever is on your mind!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97]

RedSN
08-03-2024, 08:39 AM
2 days to replace an engine? They work at my kind of speed :spitcoffee:

True Blue
08-03-2024, 09:00 AM
Wow... Toyota replacing nearly 102,000 engines in 2022-23 Tundras and LX600s... Can you say 'Billions'?

https://driving.ca/auto-news/driver-info/toyota-tundra-lexus-lx-recalled-for-engine-replacements

At least Toyota stepped up to the plate. Looking at you Hyundai!

Snaketamer
08-03-2024, 02:17 PM
At least Toyota stepped up to the plate. Looking at you Hyundai!

...And Ford with the transmission...10R80 CDF drum

Stephen06GT
08-04-2024, 08:33 PM
Went to see “Twisters” today. A decent film and a nice way to spend the afternoon.

hsousa88
08-05-2024, 06:22 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240805/70d3ac41e6a5bd396f1eec947f459c60.jpg

And the fun begins on my ‘12 ram. Noticed it this past winter.. baaah what to do

5.4MarkVIII
08-05-2024, 06:49 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240805/70d3ac41e6a5bd396f1eec947f459c60.jpg

And the fun begins on my ‘12 ram. Noticed it this past winter.. baaah what to do

IMO don’t waist money patching that little spot.
It will just rust through somewhere else.
If you love the truck and want to fix have them replace the panel and make sure they remove all the foam from between the panels. And coat them well on the inside.

Laffs
08-06-2024, 02:44 PM
Do nothing, start saving pennies until you can buy a southern box for that thing. Have it oil bathed and bolt that on and prepare to do the rockers.

ZR
08-06-2024, 10:31 PM
How is most racing and all the weekly shows are on hold for the Olympics?
WTF

1BAD92LX
08-06-2024, 10:35 PM
Because the states needs everyone to watch how many medals they win

Scrape
08-07-2024, 06:02 AM
Ouch that sucks. Sorry to hear that.
My Canadian Tire Triangles account just got hacked. The thief took over $2000 of my Canadian Tire money and spent it in Brampton! You would think that if you are redeeming a large amount of CDN Tire money they would require some kind of ID. Thankfully, they will be replacing it.

Zee
08-07-2024, 09:26 AM
Speed cameras suck balls and have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with generating revenue for the municipality.
If safety were the case, the cameras would only be on during school hours.
The guys bashing these cameras up are the unsung heroes.

Zippy
08-07-2024, 09:34 AM
Speed cameras suck balls and have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with generating revenue for the municipality.
If safety were the case, the cameras would only be on during school hours.
The guys bashing these cameras up are the unsung heroes.

From what I understand, you don't get a ticket till you are 10over?
I think that's pretty reasonable...

ChickenLips
08-07-2024, 11:23 AM
the GF's place was hit by high winds from the Fort Erie tornadoes.

The metal legs on her gazebo got bent, folded to about 30°. The whole thing almost took flight, which would've been exciting.

Does anyone know if leg replacements are available anywhere?

It's the triangular aluminum type. Probably a Costco unit but a standard leg shape for most metal gazebo kits.

Black Sheep
08-07-2024, 01:09 PM
^^^If it was bought at Costco….just return it….lol^^^

ChickenLips
08-07-2024, 02:28 PM
^^^If it was bought at Costco….just return it….lol^^^

I'm a big fan of the Costco return policy, however the gazebo was put up by the previous home owner. No receipt. Could be another maker, they're all Chinese in some form.

1BAD92LX
08-12-2024, 06:23 PM
Finished second yesterday by 0.004 seconds.
Led the whole final race except for the last 1/16 of an inch.
Seriously rediculous.

RedSN
08-12-2024, 06:35 PM
Where is the photo?

bluetoy
08-12-2024, 08:59 PM
Here is what losing Race 1 by .006 looks like. My Son is on the red and black kart. He finished 2nd.

https://i.imgur.com/P2YSGix.jpg

bluetoy
08-12-2024, 09:08 PM
On another note. A friend of mine just had her 114k 2017 f150 3.5 Ecoboost in for failed cam phaser. She got a discount on the parts through my buddy but Donnelly Ford Ottawa charged her $5001.75 to do something that should be a recall. Fuck Ford.

Laffs
08-13-2024, 11:53 AM
On another note. A friend of mine just had her 114k 2017 f150 3.5 Ecoboost in for failed cam phaser. She got a discount on the parts through my buddy but Donnelly Ford Ottawa charged her $5001.75 to do something that should be a recall. Fuck Ford.

Was there other work performed? $5000 in just labour seems high for a job that's like 12 hours book.

1BAD92LX
08-13-2024, 01:12 PM
Here is what losing Race 1 by .006 looks like. My Son is on the red and black kart. He finished 2nd.

https://i.imgur.com/P2YSGix.jpg

Is that Lombardy? I hear that’s a nice fast track.

hammerhead
08-13-2024, 05:29 PM

I've noticed changes with every new order of this brand. I order 2-4 cases a month. It now has a very toxic odour like rubber cement adhesive. Might not be a good idea to use in a confined space. Very strong now, even outdoors.

bluetoy
08-13-2024, 08:51 PM
Is that Lombardy? I hear that’s a nice fast track.It's a 36 second lap. Bumpy and kills tires. Yes it's lombardy. Fun tho

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

ZR
08-14-2024, 07:00 AM

I've noticed changes with every new order of this brand. I order 2-4 cases a month. It now has a very toxic odour like rubber cement adhesive. Might not be a good idea to use in a confined space. Very strong now, even outdoors.

When a local brand was no longer available we tried every brake cleans we could find before landing on Delco. Works well with virtually no odor.

Zee
08-15-2024, 09:17 AM
Well Gents,
I got an offer to manage the entire western region and move out to BC for Hyundai Canada... definitely a dream job. Sadly the wife also has a career here, I've got elderly parents and in-laws just took on a new mortgage ... I feel gutted.
Whoever knows me, knows I've always wanted to move to BC since I was 20yrs old. I guess these are the sacrifices we make for family.
Growing up being in trouble with the law constantly, dropping out of school, fighting, rolling with the very wrong crew... i couldnt imagine being offered this.

I really am gutted about this.

ChickenLips
08-15-2024, 11:07 AM
BC is beautiful, I'm planning on relocating myself but ruled out BC due to the political climate/taxes.

I have a friend who moved out there about 8 years ago, says he see's more of his Ontario people now. When you're next door you're taken for granted, when you're distant people put in more effort. He's running a small business and happy in the Okanagan.

Well Gents,
I got an offer to manage the entire western region and move out to BC for Hyundai Canada... definitely a dream job. Sadly the wife also has a career here, I've got elderly parents and in-laws just took on a new mortgage ... I feel gutted.
Whoever knows me, knows I've always wanted to move to BC since I was 20yrs old. I guess these are the sacrifices we make for family.
Growing up being in trouble with the law constantly, dropping out of school, fighting, rolling with the very wrong crew... i couldnt imagine being offered this.

Scrape
08-15-2024, 11:12 AM
I feel your pain. It is tough to pack an entire family and move. Family first is what I say. If I reading this right you got your head on straight now and I am positive that you will get more opportunities coming your way.
Well Gents,

ChickenLips
08-15-2024, 01:08 PM
I love and often see my child. I wouldn't want to hold them back from a big life change. I can travel or move too.

Put your own mask on first and you're in the best position to help others.

Zee
08-15-2024, 01:36 PM
I feel your pain. It is tough to pack an entire family and move. Family first is what I say. If I reading this right you got your head on straight now and I am positive that you will get more opportunities coming your way.

Definitely got my priorities in order and got my life together.
Fingers crossed I get more in the future which dont require me or my family to completely up-root.

92redragtop
08-15-2024, 09:44 PM
Definitely got my priorities in order and got my life together.
Fingers crossed I get more in the future which dont require me or my family to completely up-root.

It's all relative - had an opportunity in the mid-2000's to move to BC for job opportunity (also the US but dodged that bullet) but would have involved "lower standard of living" in terms of less home for same or more money but I guess more outdoor time? Stayed here and focused on work I enjoyed and compensated well, invested excess funds, paid off my mortgage a few years back, no debt, can pick and choose work I like to do (though this has been the case for last 20 years) - not sure how the BC move may have turned out but with the higher cost of housing and taxes I'm thinking maybe not the same.

So, make the most of where you are and take calculated risks for long term ROI (ie. get your net worth down on paper/Excel and look for ways to maximize the asset side of the balance sheet vs liabilities in a way that works for your lifestyle and overall "happiness".....personal and family).

5.4MarkVIII
08-15-2024, 10:58 PM
I’ll try not to be too cynical.
I gave up every dream I had early on for the sake of family. I don’t recommend it you will regret it and that leads to resentment.

Kids are flexible. All they need is love and they will grow up anywhere.

Anyone else in your life should be open to at least having a conversation about a big opportunity. Don’t make the decision alone.

Zee
08-16-2024, 10:52 AM
It's all relative - had an opportunity in the mid-2000's to move to BC for job opportunity (also the US but dodged that bullet) but would have involved "lower standard of living" in terms of less home for same or more money but I guess more outdoor time? Stayed here and focused on work I enjoyed and compensated well, invested excess funds, paid off my mortgage a few years back, no debt, can pick and choose work I like to do (though this has been the case for last 20 years) - not sure how the BC move may have turned out but with the higher cost of housing and taxes I'm thinking maybe not the same.

So, make the most of where you are and take calculated risks for long term ROI (ie. get your net worth down on paper/Excel and look for ways to maximize the asset side of the balance sheet vs liabilities in a way that works for your lifestyle and overall "happiness".....personal and family).

Thanks for this man. I was feeling like absolute garbage and started to feel a bit of resentment for the life I chose.
I got accepted for Durham region police literally 2 days before finishing my probation at Hyundai Canada... I gave that up. And now I felt I gave this up due to family. I agree with you on the cost of living... i'm trying not to look at the rent assistance they were going to provide me (up to 30%) because that will get me angry LOL.
Looks like i'll continue working here and try to forge a path and hopefully in the future be able to make a more calculated move.

Zee
08-16-2024, 10:54 AM
I’ll try not to be too cynical.
I gave up every dream I had early on for the sake of family. I don’t recommend it you will regret it and that leads to resentment.

Kids are flexible. All they need is love and they will grow up anywhere.

Anyone else in your life should be open to at least having a conversation about a big opportunity. Don’t make the decision alone.

We had the conversation, included the parents and obviously the wife.
My little one is only 11 months so I know she can literally uproot and go any where.
My wife on the other hand has a career in Legal and Regulatory...and she's early on in her career with big promises of being atleast an Assistant Director within the next few years.
I do agree with you on the resentment, the only thing that's making me feel better about this is - is the fact that my little one who has no siblings and is the only grand child (in Canada) will get to spend tons of time with her grandparents.

Laffs
08-16-2024, 11:41 AM
My father runs a fairly good sized company, is compensated pretty well, and has a nice standard of living here. A while back he had the opportunity to do what he does here but in the Vancouver area. Would have effectively doubled his compensation package IIRC. He mulled it over and even started looking into housing. To have a similar property to what he has here was something like 8x the cost (mind you Windsor is about 1/2 cost of Toronto to start). Then at the time the news were full of reports of major gang issues in the lower mainland BC area, dunno if that's still an issue but at time it was a huge story. Final nail was when you start to plan your career trajectory you realize that in this case BC wasn't the final rung on the corporate ladder, it was just a costly stop over until coming back to Ontario in the end.

92redragtop
08-16-2024, 11:58 PM
Thanks for this man. I was feeling like absolute garbage and started to feel a bit of resentment for the life I chose.
I got accepted for Durham region police literally 2 days before finishing my probation at Hyundai Canada... I gave that up. And now I felt I gave this up due to family. I agree with you on the cost of living... i'm trying not to look at the rent assistance they were going to provide me (up to 30%) because that will get me angry LOL.
Looks like i'll continue working here and try to forge a path and hopefully in the future be able to make a more calculated move.

There always several routes to your destination and sometimes your preferred route has construction/closures and you have to take a detour - no biggie.

Glass half full version could be that you have a little one now and the police route (shift work, etc) and maybe regional travel with the move out west might have meant more time out of the house and you'd miss certain things at this point in the little one's life, so appreciate the opportunity that is available to you and make the most of it in the short term. That doesn't preclude working on other things at the same time - continue to build your side gig, pay down debt, re-invest the money into assets that generate positive passive cash flow, etc, etc.

redo75
08-17-2024, 09:15 AM
If you were accepted as a police officer years ago go back and ask if you have skills they need now. They are always looking at auto knowledge for big time auto theft and security behind the front line guys. They have many positions in there intelligence systems.
If you get a position please send me a 1.75% kickback per month as thanks.

ChickenLips
08-17-2024, 10:42 AM
The fastest route to higher wages (being an employee) is to change jobs. Once inside an organization there are limits to raises, promotions, and budgets for wage to be split between the whole gang. Those constraints are largely absent when hiring new. When young take chances, some will fail but you have time to recover.

One of the big drivers for marriage disharmony is the wife making the same or more than the husband. Sounds harsh, but statistics don’t lie.

ZR
08-19-2024, 07:57 AM
Traffic was heavy in Bradford the other night, slowing down when I heard a good size bang and the truck lurched forward (car trailer on the back). Came to a stop and looked in the mirror, yup grey Chevy truck hit the LR corner of the trailer but instead of stopping to look / exchange info, foot to the floor n turned left down a side street and disappeared. No damage to the trailer isn't huge but it again makes me wonder how the human condition has become so broken. :(

Gabe
08-19-2024, 08:40 AM
Its quite ridiculous how little respect person has for person these days

ZR
08-19-2024, 09:26 AM
^ You know better than most given what happened to you.
Hope your feeling better.

Zee
08-19-2024, 09:30 AM
Its quite ridiculous how little respect person has for person these days

People have grown to be self-serving, entitled and angry.
Its the big city effect.
I have noticed this more and more.. and i'm only 38..its, yet I remember how people were just 10-15 years ago vs now.
Its a sad state of affairs on a general scale however, there are good people out there who care, go against the tide and always lend a helping hand.

5.4MarkVIII
08-19-2024, 06:50 PM
Long rant completely unrelated to cars!

We as a society need to end this adherence and dependence on the mega corps that are going out of their ways to crush independent business.

I’ve been an appliance servicer for going on 15 years now. And been doing warrenty work for many company’s during that time. One being Whirl pool.
Warrenty rates suck. But it’s something else to supplement cod work and the slow season. Years ago most of the manufactures pulled parts pay from warranty. So if I supply parts I mark up and make a little off the parts. The company’s changed their warranty policy’s where I still have to do all the parts leg work in terms of sourcing and ordering but they no longer pay me mark up. They only will pay what I pay to my supplier. Took a huge chunk out of the profit margins with that single move.

A couple years ago they approached us with a new pilot program they wanted us to take part in. Basically they wanted to move cod to run threw their warranty dispatching program. Where the customer pays them and then they pay us. Whats the rate? Not my normal cod rate. Nope they would pay me my standard lower warrenty rate and I would not make any money off parts. So a cod call that would normally pay me directly 200-300 dollars will not pay me $95 threw they new program. The answer was a resounding NO. Absolutely not.

Fast forward a couple years. This program has been picked up and implemented by large service company’s running multiple locations and hundreds of techs.
I’ve noticed a drastic drop in my warranty’s calls. All our regular reps have been replaced in the last 6 months. Cant get a straight answer from my new rep until today.

Wpool is moving ahead with their new cod program. They are marketing it to the consumer as “one time warranty” so you call for service pay the flat rate fee and they fix your appliance no matter what it needs.

My rep has now told me that because I’m not interested in taking part in their new program that steals all my profit. Then they are reducing my priority on the warranty dispatch. I can no longer be booked through their warranty website and if a customer calls the customer service higher priority techs will be dispatched instead.
And they took it a step further and have told other dealers I do work for, as well as some good long time repeat customers of mine that I don’t do wpool service at all now. And even when customers request me directly for warranty work. The customer service reps are refusing to sent me the work.

It’s flat out blackmail and absolutely nothing I can do about it. Wpool first. LG is trying something Similar .

They are removing the customers right to decide who they do business with even out of warranty.

RedSN
08-19-2024, 07:56 PM

They are removing the customers right to decide who they do business with even out of warranty.

As long as they don’t remove the right for customers to repair …like the auto industry is trying to do.

Just replaced the bearings and the spider bracket on our front load a couple weeks ago.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/i-wmdLBd9/0/LRhTc4vtj2cgvNVTL2nbNv5WrN9WcWBFBmLbzrXNt/L/IMG_3008-L.jpg

5.4MarkVIII
08-19-2024, 08:32 PM
As long as they don’t remove the right for customers to repair …like the auto industry is trying to do.

Just replaced the bearings and the spider bracket on our front load a couple weeks ago.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/i-wmdLBd9/0/LRhTc4vtj2cgvNVTL2nbNv5WrN9WcWBFBmLbzrXNt/L/IMG_3008-L.jpg

It’s coming. I’ve been into washers that you can’t remove the transmission. Within weeks of use the parts corrode together. Have the replace the entire assemble which costs as much as a new one.

Add to that aftermarket companies like RS going under leaving the only options oem or Chinese parts that don’t last.

hammerhead
08-19-2024, 08:33 PM

We as a society need to end this adherence and dependence on the mega corps that are going out of their ways to crush independent business.

I’ve been an appliance servicer for going on 15 years now. And been doing warrenty work for many company’s during that time. One being Whirl pool.
Warrenty rates suck. But it’s something else to supplement cod work and the slow season. Years ago most of the manufactures pulled parts pay from warranty. So if I supply parts I mark up and make a little off the parts. The company’s changed their warranty policy’s where I still have to do all the parts leg work in terms of sourcing and ordering but they no longer pay me mark up. They only will pay what I pay to my supplier. Took a huge chunk out of the profit margins with that single move.

A couple years ago they approached us with a new pilot program they wanted us to take part in. Basically they wanted to move cod to run threw their warranty dispatching program. Where the customer pays them and then they pay us. Whats the rate? Not my normal cod rate. Nope they would pay me my standard lower warrenty rate and I would not make any money off parts. So a cod call that would normally pay me directly 200-300 dollars will not pay me $95 threw they new program. The answer was a resounding NO. Absolutely not.

Fast forward a couple years. This program has been picked up and implemented by large service company’s running multiple locations and hundreds of techs.
I’ve noticed a drastic drop in my warranty’s calls. All our regular reps have been replaced in the last 6 months. Cant get a straight answer from my new rep until today.

Wpool is moving ahead with their new cod program. They are marketing it to the consumer as “one time warranty” so you call for service pay the flat rate fee and they fix your appliance no matter what it needs.

My rep has now told me that because I’m not interested in taking part in their new program that steals all my profit. Then they are reducing my priority on the warranty dispatch. I can no longer be booked through their warranty website and if a customer calls the customer service higher priority techs will be dispatched instead.
And they took it a step further and have told other dealers I do work for, as well as some good long time repeat customers of mine that I don’t do wpool service at all now. And even when customers request me directly for warranty work. The customer service reps are refusing to sent me the work.

It’s flat out blackmail and absolutely nothing I can do about it. Wpool first. LG is trying something Similar .

I won’t.go into too many details but in my business warranty sucked and I refused to do it and told my costumers that. Because of the nature of our industry and the need to keep shit rolling most customers would just tell me to fix it because it was too much hassle and too much time to go the warranty route. Hope things turn around for you. It may come to the point where they make it too difficult for the customer.

ChickenLips
08-20-2024, 10:31 AM
This has to make appliances and service more expensive for the consumers.

If the free market is allowed to self correct this should cause a migration to brands who don't do this shit.

Doesn't make things any better for small business in the short term.

To me this looks like the consumer level battle between capitol costs vs maintenance costs. Think cheap printers and expensive ink cartridges. I'd guess the only defense is educating any customers looking to you for appliances or service. Throw in government support for this shit, think big box stores open while small business shut down, churches closed, strip joints and liquor stores open.

I fired bad clients and eventually had none left. Discovering that good clients are an extreme minority showed me I was in the wrong business and I thrived elsewhere.

Zee
08-20-2024, 11:51 AM
I'll be driving the IONIQ5 N for the next few days, super excited!

5.4MarkVIII
08-20-2024, 02:23 PM
This has to make appliances and service more expensive for the consumers.

If the free market is allowed to self correct this should cause a migration to brands who don't do this shit.

Doesn't make things any better for small business in the short term.

It will but I think will be the big box effect where they won’t realize untill it’s too late.

Right now. It’s the manufacture forcing the independent to supplement the cost. Once the independents are gone. The price to the consumer will go up.

hsousa88
08-20-2024, 04:40 PM
Anyone running an electric water heater? I think some guys here have spoke about this before. Really trying to figure out if it’s worth it in the long run. My gas heater is 9 years old now and it’s time I start to think about it.

ZR
08-20-2024, 05:46 PM
It will but I think will be the big box effect where they won’t realize untill it’s too late.

Right now. It’s the manufacture forcing the independent to supplement the cost. Once the independents are gone. The price to the consumer will go up.

As per the norm, big biz expecting the little guy to eat the cost of them looking like the good guys. No doubt consumers will get smoked long term but few can think beyond the end of a 5 dollar bill and blindly allow it.

5.4MarkVIII
08-20-2024, 08:07 PM
Anyone running an electric water heater? I think some guys here have spoke about this before. Really trying to figure out if it’s worth it in the long run. My gas heater is 9 years old now and it’s time I start to think about it.

Used to at the old place. Due to location and spacing. Hated it. Would not keep up to usage and expensive. I’m you can go gas imo worth the extra money up front.

5.4MarkVIII
08-20-2024, 08:08 PM
As per the norm, big biz expecting the little guy to eat the cost of them looking like the good guys. No doubt consumers will get smoked long term but few can think beyond the end of a 5 dollar bill and blindly allow it.

100%

ChickenLips
08-21-2024, 12:21 PM

from the consumer side it's the China effect. Cheap shit beats quality stuff for the buyer who doesn't understand cost of ownership versus initial capital cost.

Sounds like cartel behavior from the manufacturers.

xeninworx
08-24-2024, 06:18 AM
Well, my wife’s Honda Accord has officially been written off.

Last week Sunday morning she was on her way to church. 5 minutes later she called me saying she’d been in an accident because a guy ran the red light. I hopped into the Mustang and took off.

She’s okay. Just some bruising around the chest, shoulders and her foot. Nothing broken. She’s getting physio.

Shitty part is, we paid the Accord off last year to clear off all our debts to put us in a better position to buy a house as to which our closing date is September 10th.

Good news is the insurance is giving her $17,700 for the Accord. Which is a lot more than we thought they would. Bad news is we can’t finance another car until after we buy the house. Would affect our credit. We could just buy another Accord for cash but that car is too long for the driveway as we’ll be parking 2 cars one after the other. The Mustang isn’t short either.

I’m looking at a smaller used SUV for her. Something easier to get in and out of and shorter than the Accord but still fully loaded with a big gas tank. The tank on the Accord is 65L. So far a 2021-2024 Subaru Forester Limited fits the bill or the 2020 Forester Premier to get the power passenger seat. Tank size is 63L.

Also, other driver has invalid insurance.

Snaketamer
08-24-2024, 07:41 AM
Wow...sorry to hear! Glad your wife wasn't hurt more severely. Good luck in finding a replacement vehicle.

Stephen06GT
08-24-2024, 09:04 AM
Wow...sorry to hear! Glad your wife wasn't hurt more severely. Good luck in finding a replacement vehicle.

This.

ChickenLips
08-24-2024, 09:14 AM
Is tank size for range? Not to be to obvious, but maybe looking at range might also be a search criteria? Subi's are thirstier than a lot of equivalents.

I see a ton of Elantra's out there.

Blackmare
08-24-2024, 09:22 AM

x3!

hammerhead
08-24-2024, 09:23 AM

The smell of the 70's is barreling down on me...cool looking truck. Had a modern steer axle ahead of the tandems and pretty good balls in the old Cummings.

xeninworx
08-24-2024, 09:42 AM
Is tank size for range? Not to be to obvious, but maybe looking at range might also be a search criteria? Subi's are thirstier than a lot of equivalents.

I see a ton of Elantra's out there.

Yes. She works in Toronto and goes to church twice a week which is in Milton. Puts gas in the car once a week.

IanGTCS
08-24-2024, 07:21 PM
Glad your wife is ok.

My wife has a Forester and the fuel economy isn't great. We knew that when we got it but going from her civic to it was still a bit of a shock. I had an Impreza for a while and compared to either my previous protege or accord it wasn't as good.

Side note: anyone have a 2023 or 2024 edge? My wife is looking at a new car soonish and it seems to check a lot of boxes in what we need.

hammerhead
08-24-2024, 08:48 PM

Check out the High Commanders economy —gonna have to start getting her to start coughing up for dinners out

xeninworx
08-24-2024, 09:08 PM
Glad your wife is ok.

My wife has a Forester and the fuel economy isn't great. We knew that when we got it but going from her civic to it was still a bit of a shock. I had an Impreza for a while and compared to either my previous protege or accord it wasn't as good.

Side note: anyone have a 2023 or 2024 edge? My wife is looking at a new car soonish and it seems to check a lot of boxes in what we need.

Thanks. The physio is helping her a lot. Her neck and shoulders and back are what hurt the most

I once got 911kms range on the Accord coming back from New York.

We looked at a Forester today to get a feel for it. She actually preferred the Crosstrek however it’s not as fully loaded like the Forester. Trying to find something that’s easy on her. Something taller than the Accord without a bucket seat but not full size SUV, something smaller. The Crosstrek doesn’t have a push button for the hatch like the Forester and other models. I don’t want her injuring her shoulder reaching up.

Zee
08-26-2024, 03:33 PM
Probably my favorite moment with my dad from the last 20 years.
He had a massive fear of water, hated swimming ... now, he cant get enough. Took him a lot to let go of the handles off the dock, some gentle encouragement went a long way.

ChickenLips
08-26-2024, 06:28 PM
Swimming is a life skill (Dutch heritage) and a great source of healthy fun. Missing out on swimming is missing out on fun.

Zee
08-27-2024, 10:08 AM
Swimming is a life skill (Dutch heritage) and a great source of healthy fun. Missing out on swimming is missing out on fun.

Agreed. However, the darkness of lake water is un-nerving lol

Laffs
08-27-2024, 10:12 AM
Had a blowout on the Ram in Cambridge yesterday, tire split in between two treads. 06/19 Date code on the tire and tonnes of tread left. Driving 3.5 hours home on the spare was not my brightest or most enjoyable idea but no tire shops nearby had a matching tire or could fit me in.

ChickenLips
08-27-2024, 10:17 AM
Agreed. However, the darkness of lake water is un-nerving lol

Swimming in known waters after dark might assuage that discomfort. Kinda surreal the first time you dive underwater in a cool refreshing still lake under moonlight.

ZR
08-27-2024, 10:46 AM
Had a blowout on the Ram in Cambridge yesterday, tire split in between two treads. 06/19 Date code on the tire and tonnes of tread left. Driving 3.5 hours home on the spare was not my brightest or most enjoyable idea but no tire shops nearby had a matching tire or could fit me in.

Lots of tread and well in date, ridiculous it could happen.
For any trips out of town, I have a spare full size rim n tire I toss in the box.

Laffs
08-27-2024, 11:14 AM
For any trips out of town, I have a spare full size rim n tire I toss in the box.

Yea its now on my radar. Likely going to swap these duratracs for some Toyo AT3s. My confidence is shaken for them pretty bad.

5.4MarkVIII
08-27-2024, 01:40 PM

Rams don’t come with a full size spare anymore?

Laffs
08-27-2024, 02:34 PM
Rams don’t come with a full size spare anymore?

Nope, temporary use only 17" space saver.

bluetoy
08-27-2024, 06:40 PM
Been driving around in my Mustang only a few times this year. I'm just not enjoying it. It's a convertible and I love that. I love looking at it. I think that my lack of interest in impressing anyone and losing my license has made a permanent home in my brain. I think I'm going to remove my M-5230-S mufflers. Put the stock back on. It is quite loud especially with the top down. I'm also getting tired of the 4.10 gears. It's an automatic so they are ok to drive, even on the highway, Just unnecessary. Also pretty sure I'm going to take out my FRPP Hotrod cams. Just put the stockers back in. I just cruise around in it. No real need for that stuff anymore. I'll keep my Roush CAI, I'll go back to the CAI only tune I have. If I'm not happy with that tune I'll go back to stock tune and put the insert back in the CAI. Also be nice to put regular fuel in it instead of looking for Ultra 94 or Sunoco 93. Sad but true. That's whats been on my mind lately.

5.4MarkVIII
08-27-2024, 06:47 PM
Nope, temporary use only 17" space saver.

Never assumed that would be a thing in a full size truck.

Maybe I should go look under the F150 before I take a long trip. lol.

Scrape
08-27-2024, 06:52 PM
Sometimes a change is necessary to make it right in your soul. I find that my M2 is too much for my liking.
Been driving around in my Mustang only a few times this year. I'm just not enjoying it. It's a convertible and I love that. I love looking at it. I think that my lack of interest in impressing anyone and losing my license has made a permanent home in my brain. I think I'm going to remove my M-5230-S mufflers. Put the stock back on. It is quite loud especially with the top down. I'm also getting tired of the 4.10 gears. It's an automatic so they are ok to drive, even on the highway, Just unnecessary. Also pretty sure I'm going to take out my FRPP Hotrod cams. Just put the stockers back in. I just cruise around in it. No real need for that stuff anymore. I'll keep my Roush CAI, I'll go back to the CAI only tune I have. If I'm not happy with that tune I'll go back to stock tune and put the insert back in the CAI. Also be nice to put regular fuel in it instead of looking for Ultra 94 or Sunoco 93. Sad but true. That's whats been on my mind lately.

Scrape
08-27-2024, 06:55 PM
Wow. That sucks. Sorry to hear this. Glad your wife is ok.
Well, my wife’s Honda Accord has officially been written off.

Last week Sunday morning she was on her way to church. 5 minutes later she called me saying she’d been in an accident because a guy ran the red light. I hopped into the Mustang and took off.

She’s okay. Just some bruising around the chest, shoulders and her foot. Nothing broken. She’s getting physio.

Shitty part is, we paid the Accord off last year to clear off all our debts to put us in a better position to buy a house as to which our closing date is September 10th.

Good news is the insurance is giving her $17,700 for the Accord. Which is a lot more than we thought they would. Bad news is we can’t finance another car until after we buy the house. Would affect our credit. We could just buy another Accord for cash but that car is too long for the driveway as we’ll be parking 2 cars one after the other. The Mustang isn’t short either.

I’m looking at a smaller used SUV for her. Something easier to get in and out of and shorter than the Accord but still fully loaded with a big gas tank. The tank on the Accord is 65L. So far a 2021-2024 Subaru Forester Limited fits the bill or the 2020 Forester Premier to get the power passenger seat. Tank size is 63L.

Also, other driver has invalid insurance.

ZR
08-27-2024, 10:04 PM

We just removed Hot Rod cams from a 3v n replaced with sticks from Comp Cams (also an auto car). Owner is blown away at difference in drivability, also made good jam on the dyno.

RedSN
08-27-2024, 10:58 PM
lol.
Makes sense. Full size pickup doesn’t have a full size bed anymore.

Old Fart
08-27-2024, 11:14 PM
Just installed a cell booster at the cottage…what a difference! Used to get 3g speeds and sometime one bar of LTE. Now I get three to full bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laffs
08-28-2024, 08:54 AM

Mods are a matter of taste, when you keep these cars long enough your tastes change. There's shit I did to my car when I was 22 that now that I'm 38 I go "you stupid fucking kid way to ruin this car"

Personally my advice would be take off what you think you don't need but keep it until you are sure the change is for the better. I'd also say look at advances in the aftermarket area for mods with less compromise. Like valved mufflers that let you cruise in quiet mode but have the option to push a button and get loud if the moment strikes you.

No one size fits all, do what makes you happy and if someone says you're wrong it's probably cuz they're miserable themselves.

Laffs
08-28-2024, 08:58 AM

Maybe I should go look under the F150 before I take a long trip. lol.

I was just happy there was a damn spare. I'll never forget the sheer panic of picking up a nail something like 30kms outside Calabogie in the CTS-V and realizing I had no spare and no cell service.

Zee
08-28-2024, 09:05 AM

Dam man, looks like your bank account will thank you for this gradual maturity!
I remember my old 02 had so much stuff done to the suspension it was nuts - felt like i was on a skateboard.
I'm loving the softer chassis and suspension on the 3v ... although i do have eibach springs and shocks front and back.
But yeah, i get what you mean with the - just need a comfortable reliable car to cruise that doesnt break the bank.

5.4MarkVIII
08-28-2024, 09:48 AM
I was just happy there was a damn spare. I'll never forget the sheer panic of picking up a nail something like 30kms outside Calabogie in the CTS-V and realizing I had no spare and no cell service.

That was a fear with both the mini and the 440i
As well. They both had run flats but good luck finding a replacement on a long weekend or a trip up north.

ChickenLips
08-28-2024, 02:47 PM
at least you guys know how to change a tire and drive a stick.

92redragtop
08-28-2024, 04:14 PM
That was a fear with both the mini and the 440i
As well. They both had run flats but good luck finding a replacement on a long weekend or a trip up north.

That's my silent stress when I drive the C43 or ATS.

92redragtop
08-28-2024, 04:29 PM

Was having convo along similar lines with ZR yesterday (not about not enjoying it but how certain build combos work over long term for specific use cases). Fox vert went in to ZR for general check over, spark plugs, oil, etc (and some oil spotting) and we realized it was built back in 2010 and this was the second time it went back for a check over and to fix a minor leak on a supercharger oil hose (fitting needed to be replaced). Other than that it was a "get in and drive build" including for drivability in GTA rush hour traffic as I used to drive to work on nice days up until the pandemic. ZR talked me down from bigger heads, 1.7 rockers, aggressive lumpy cam (went E303 instead), and the overall combo has worked well for the past 14 years with low maintenance while still putting down 430 to the wheels (and 430+ torque) on the original high mileage Fox AOD.

I have a couple things to fix now like my B&M Hammer shifter is shot now so that's getting replaced and the Ford Racing valve cover has a crack on the filler neck (likely reason for oil spotting) so shopping for new valve covers but not big issues for 14 year old build. My bigger issue is more rust repairs on a 32 year old car to get done before winter storage....but haven't grown bored of it.

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2024, 09:12 PM
In today’s episode of fuck my life. Woke up this morning. Someone, some how, knocked the drain for the water filter system out of the clamp holding it. As luck would have it last night wasn’t a quick flush night but a full system purge night. Ran house pressure for somewhere between 2-3 hours

ChickenLips
08-29-2024, 09:36 PM
In today’s episode of fuck my life. Woke up this morning. Someone, some how, knocked the drain for the water filter system out of the clamp holding it. As luck would have it last night wasn’t a quick flush night but a full system purge night. Ran house pressure for somewhere between 2-3 hours

and I was pissed I left my shop lights on overnight, you win, I think......

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2024, 09:48 PM
and I was pissed I left my shop lights on overnight, you win, I think......

The nicest appliance we had was the laundry. The 2 hour shower may have put and end to that. Insurance is involved. Thank goodness for claim forgiveness.

Silly me would have though the first step would have been to suck all the water out of the carpets with vacuums of some sort but all they did today was set up dehumidifiers and fans.
When I left for work the water was only about a foot into the kids room. When I got home from work the water had soaked most of the way across the rooms. Just finished this part of the basement 2 years ago.

ZR
08-29-2024, 10:04 PM
^ Yikes, hope it dries up ok. Yes you'd have thought they'd bring in a commercial truck mount carpet cleaner to suck the water up.

Snaketamer
09-03-2024, 10:24 AM
Got a Fvcking cat using my yard as it's own private crapper. :mad: I spread some cayenne pepper in the general area. If that don't deter it, I'll looking at getting a motion detection sprinkler. Anyone have any other ideas?

Zee
09-03-2024, 11:50 AM
Looking to get my shower re-tiled ... my god, the price is insane ... its a small stand up shower.. i'm looking to get the 4x2 tiles, got quoted $2500 + cost of tiles

5.4MarkVIII
09-03-2024, 12:40 PM
For those who don’t follow. Derick from ViceGrip Garage is in Canada. Has posted his experience with both Princess auto and then Canadian tire.
He just posted he is picking up a Pantera.

That’s gonna be a banger video.

Old Fart
09-03-2024, 12:54 PM
^^^Posted where?

Laffs
09-03-2024, 01:02 PM
Looking to get my shower re-tiled ... my god, the price is insane ... its a small stand up shower.. i'm looking to get the 4x2 tiles, got quoted $2500 + cost of tiles

I mean, yeah that's honestly cheap if it includes demo.

Figure it's half day to get torn out plus disposal, then you have to clean up the framing. Next day install a backer board and waterproof, then flood test it once its dry. Return to tile the floor and let it set up, then tile the walls. Let all that cure up and then grout and final clean. So realistically 3 to 4 days of work, plus the tools you need, consumables like leveling system clips and sponges, and the trips to store and dumb to get materials and dispose of waste. Personally whenever I do reno work my rate is $75/hr so if I'm planning 4x 8hour days thats $2400 in my labour alone no including the other costs.

This assumes you're not doing a niche, marble threshold, custom glass, or changing plumbing fixtures/locations all of which also require more labour.

5.4MarkVIII
09-03-2024, 01:28 PM
^^^Posted where?

He has been posting little bits on Facebook.

redo75
09-03-2024, 09:07 PM
Several replies:
Try cinnamon in a shaker bottle around your property, my wife buys it at the bulk food store for cheap. Most animals hate the smell.
Do you have a Bath Fitter in your area done in 1 1/2 days and ready to use.

redo75
09-04-2024, 08:49 AM
Second thought for bath/shower.
Most tile stores have small lots of tiles left over that are returned and /or discontinued tiles for cheap. I got very good tiles that were discontinued for a basement floor for my house at cheap prices and got labour in off peak times just supply the coffee. Now this was several years ago so I may not be functioning in the real world today, just so you know.

hammerhead
09-04-2024, 09:16 AM

small jobs are an inconvenience to most trades they usually have a minimum. might be a good idea to look for an older maybe retired handyman who has the time for smaller jobs.

Zee
09-04-2024, 01:45 PM
small jobs are an inconvenience to most trades they usually have a minimum. might be a good idea to look for an older maybe retired handyman who has the time for smaller jobs.

Agreed, thats what i'm on the search for now.

ChickenLips
09-04-2024, 06:25 PM
I do occasional small jobs locally, lotta nickel and dime BS.

5.4MarkVIII
09-04-2024, 08:09 PM
Got gas at a local station the other day. Not one I usually go to but it was there and the light was on (wife’s truck. Go figure)

The sign said self serve. But as I was getting out the guy came out and said “I pump, I pump” I said sure thanks. Made some small talk. He puts something like $150 into the truck. Rings it up on the hand held card machine. Ands it to me and it’s a prompt screen for a tip. 15,18 or 20 percent.

I clicked no tip. And he was visibly pissed.

I know tipping at a gas station was a thing at one point. But then they checked your oil and cleaned your windows. Expecting a $20 tip for sticking the nozzle in and pulling the lever just seem ludicrous but maybe I’m just getting old.

RedSN
09-04-2024, 08:35 PM
Was it self serve price? If so, I think I would have given him something.
Haven’t seen full serve in a looooong time, but I recall it being a couple of cents more expensive than self serve. So figure 80-90L, i would given him at least $4 for the service.

I remember some of those guys filling 3-4-5 cars at a time, running around getting the credit card bills, LOL

LX89
09-04-2024, 10:47 PM
Tip for gas,lol,wtf no way.
Gas prices are totally insane.

ZR
09-05-2024, 06:11 AM
Haven’t seen full serve in a looooong time, but I recall it being a couple of cents more expensive than self serve. So figure 80-90L, i would given him at least $4 for the service.

I remember some of those guys filling 3-4-5 cars at a time, running around getting the credit card bills, LOL

I grew up in a family service station, looking after multiple cars at a time for gas was super common while bouncing between the air pump checking tire PSI and or maybe replacing wiper blades or maybe a couple of bulbs. It was all cool until you had the local that came in for $5 worth of gas twice a week and still wanted the car checked from end to end................especially on a rainy or cold day.

5.4MarkVIII
09-05-2024, 07:27 AM
VGG and Deboss will be at the Durham Farmers market today for an impromptu meet and greet

ChickenLips
09-05-2024, 11:06 AM
https://youtu.be/M4sTSIYzDIk?si=2B_-BxP_yhVP4t-O

hammerhead
09-05-2024, 09:42 PM

I pumped gas at queensway and islington when I was a kid —it was like that sometimes.

hammerhead
09-05-2024, 09:44 PM
Tip for gas,lol,wtf no way.
Gas prices are totally insane.

Yah I never got tips —like Rick said busy in rain and snow lol

LX89
09-05-2024, 10:21 PM
I grew up in a family service station, looking after multiple cars at a time for gas was super common while bouncing between the air pump checking tire PSI and or maybe replacing wiper blades or maybe a couple of bulbs. It was all cool until you had the local that came in for $5 worth of gas twice a week and still wanted the car checked from end to end................especially on a rainy or cold day.

$5 probably got you a half decent amount of gas back then.
Now $5 buys you some gas fumes.

ZR
09-06-2024, 05:47 AM
Yes it most certainly did. Back in the day, vehicle that took anywhere close to $10 to fill was extremely rare, even for a truck.

redo75
09-06-2024, 10:37 AM
In mid 60's $.25 / gal.

LX89
09-06-2024, 10:20 PM
In mid 60's $.25 / gal.

My father bought his first car in 1960 and that's what he told me.
Incredible compared to the absolute rip off gas prices these days.

redo75
09-07-2024, 08:45 PM
Had a gas station every two blocks, all different brands, all had 2 service bays with busy mechanics.
And all had a red Coca Cola cooler.

1BAD92LX
09-09-2024, 10:00 AM
When racing bites back.
Missed first practice because the engine wouldn’t start.
Fresh spark plug and brake clean fixed that.
Missed set up completely in qualifying, dead last.
Ran out of brakes in the pre final. Finished dead last again.
Final, guy spun in front of me on the warm up lap. It hit him, bent tie rod and steering column.
Got lapped because it had like 20 degrees of toe out. Finished dead last, again.
Good times

Laffs
09-09-2024, 10:09 AM
How is it every time I go inside a Tim Hortons I'm in line behind someone who has never ordered from a restaurant before, had coffee before, and has never used a debit card or cash in their life?

MUSTANGWOP
09-09-2024, 11:53 AM
How is it every time I go inside a Tim Hortons I'm in line behind someone who has never ordered from a restaurant before, had coffee before, and has never used a debit card or cash in their life?

I haven't gone to Tim Hortons in 2+ years (been making coffee at home) and I love driving by it every day looking at the giant lines thinking glad I made the switch for sanity reasons alone.

Laffs
09-09-2024, 12:26 PM
There's one across the street from our office so on the days where I'm late out the door due to kid/dog/wife delays I might stop in on my break for a bagel and cream cheese. And every time I do I think I should have starved or paid the UberEats mortgage to get something delivered.

Zee
09-09-2024, 02:49 PM
I haven't gone to Tim Hortons in 2+ years (been making coffee at home) and I love driving by it every day looking at the giant lines thinking glad I made the switch for sanity reasons alone.

The funny part is, if you go inside at the register ... you'll get way faster service v.s. drive thru

Snaketamer
09-09-2024, 03:12 PM

Same here... haven't been in a Timmies for a few years and don't miss the cost.

92redragtop
09-09-2024, 05:04 PM
Same here... haven't been in a Timmies for a few years and don't miss the cost.

Don't go there any more - was ok before but went downhill since bought out by a company from Brazil (and the employees don't even wear Carnaval costumes).

LX89
09-09-2024, 09:41 PM
I've never gone to a Tim Hortons in my life,not once.
Wonder if I'm the only one in Canada.

Never understood how they became so popular.
Place has zero appeal to me.

MUSTANGWOP
09-10-2024, 06:50 AM
The funny part is, if you go inside at the register ... you'll get way faster service v.s. drive thru

I agree and was in that habit when I was still going there, however you still have to deal with the moron workers.

MUSTANGWOP
09-10-2024, 06:51 AM

That's awesome!! And to be honest, their coffee is actually really nasty but they suck you in somehow.

Zee
09-10-2024, 11:53 AM

They used to have half decent coffee and cheap eats.
Then they sold their original coffee to Mcdonalds and used cheaper coffee while cranking up the prices on their disgusting food items.
Their Boston Cream donuts are still miles better than dunken donuts cream filled ones.

redo75
09-10-2024, 12:13 PM
When I used to do business on the road, I drank only Country Style coffee with their apple fritters. Bought by some Quebec firm.
Now few and far apart with a new cheapy coffee substance.
No thanks I'll drive by 353 Timmies and 434 McDonald's and not stop once in my travels today for their overpriced crap.

IanGTCS
09-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Once I stopped putting cream and sugar in coffee and went to just milk I stopped going to Tim's. I'm no coffee snob and make Maxwell House at home but I just can't handle their coffee.

Zee
09-12-2024, 05:44 PM
I swear all of Montreal is constantly under construction

5.4MarkVIII
09-13-2024, 08:00 PM
Last episode of Grand tour. And last time Clarkson , Hammond and May do their thing together.

Bitter sweet. Been quite the haul.

ChickenLips
09-14-2024, 03:33 PM
Once I stopped putting cream and sugar in coffee and went to just milk I stopped going to Tim's. I'm no coffee snob and make Maxwell House at home but I just can't handle their coffee.

Tim's in robusto. Want better, find arabica