PDA

View Full Version : Who drives their Stang all year round?

JonsMustang
01-22-2019, 02:42 PM
How's the handling during a snow storm with snow accumulating on the ground? What tires do you use? Sand bags in the trunk? Throttle differently?

I drive mines (13 GT) all year and have Blizzaks LM32 19in, handling has been good for 2 seasons however 3rd - 4th season has been bit slippery when driving on 5cm of snow.

NickD
01-22-2019, 02:46 PM
I have an 18 eco, 18" xice tires, it slides around a bit in the snow when accelerating but steering and braking are amazing.
Car is so much more predictable to drift then my 05 feels (although that's on dry pavement vs snow)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

newbiestangowner
01-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Hey Jon, been awhile.
I’m currently still running mine - lowered 1.5 on general Altimax snow tires(18s).
Can’t complain at all really as long as some common sense used when applying the throttle. So far drifting her is pretty predictable/ controllable. I think more for me a better tire is a wish.
It handled this snow blast as a daily so much so I may not pull out the winter beater.
No sand bags
Some sliding is to be expected- but I wouldn’t say I’m terrified to go out when the going gets rough, it’s the salt that bothers me more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRS
01-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Definite traction issues, had to pull mine out of the garage when I was doing some rearranging and couldn’t get it back in!

Stephen06GT
01-24-2019, 07:31 PM
I drove a Mustang year round for 24 years. Winter driving is a non-issue with a good set of snow tires.

newbiestangowner
01-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Yes ^^ I forgot to mention I have snow tires on not the firehawks

G-ForceJunkie
01-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Wife drives her '14 V6 year-round. On Michelin X-ices currently, but used Yokohama iceguards before that. It's been driven through some pretty nasty storms, but worst times in it have been on a couple icy days (can hardly get moving), and got hung up leaving the driveway one day. When I drive it in snow I basically just dump the clutch and let the traction control figure it out.

JZ67
01-24-2019, 07:47 PM
How's the handling during a snow storm with snow accumulating on the ground? What tires do you use? Sand bags in the trunk? Throttle differently?

I drive mines (13 GT) all year and have Blizzaks LM32 19in, handling has been good for 2 seasons however 3rd - 4th season has been bit slippery when driving on 5cm of snow.

Blizzaks dual compound composition makes for a great winter tire. Problem is it is the outer 50% of the tire that has the softer compound for better traction. Once you wear the layer thin or out, you are basically running on an all season tire.

newbiestangowner
01-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Definite traction issues, had to pull mine out of the garage when I was doing some rearranging and couldn’t get it back in!

With snow tires??
With summers I wouldn’t even try

stangstevers
01-25-2019, 08:32 AM
I bought something that's EXTREMELY fun to drive... Good 7 speed auto, 330HP V6 and AWD. I can drive through crap, have fun and not worry about getting my GT stuck or filled with salt.

https://i.imgur.com/059GGE6.jpg

Armen
01-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Haha. Daily driver GT becomes a garage queen pretty quickly.

Stephen06GT
01-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Haha. Daily driver GT becomes a garage queen pretty quickly.

A dose of supercharger will do that to you.

DELZZZ
01-25-2019, 10:09 PM
Stock 18 GT on 18" Conti Winter Contacts. No issues at all. Fun too ;)

KRS
01-26-2019, 06:52 PM
With snow tires??
With summers I wouldn’t even try

Just pulled it out to rearrange the garage and couldn’t get it back in. Would never consider winter driving it.

Gr8Stang
01-26-2019, 09:23 PM
Just pulled it out to rearrange the garage and couldn’t get it back in. Would never consider winter driving it.

Ditto. Winters are too hard on the car, so unless you're willing to see it become a rust bucket over time....I wouldn't do it. And with the new brine treatments being used, I think rust will even be harder to stop, even if you rust proof it. My Mustangs have always been a spring/summer/fall ride only, but I see a lot of the newer Mustangs being driven year round now.

stangstevers
01-27-2019, 07:02 AM
I wouldn’t be able to get to the main roads, even the SUV drags the underbelly. The lowered GT wouldn’t go far winter tires or not. Lol Especially in this snow that turns to ice crap due to temperature changes we are seeing all the time.