PDA

View Full Version : Cross boarder shopping

Prettysweetsounds
12-08-2018, 06:34 PM
I want to order some items from a us manufacturer that doesn’t ship to Canada. What services have you used and what do you recommend?

WidowrRacing
12-08-2018, 08:22 PM
I use CBI warehouse (parcel service) and it works great for me for parts.

Free to register and you get a ZIP code and PMB #.
It’s located 5mins over the boarder in Niagara Falls NY.

I also ran into that issue where a U.S company wouldn’t deal with shipping to Canada.

cudaboy
12-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Cross Border Pickups .....Free to register, they give you a Niagara Falls address. Parts are shipped to address, they bring it over the border and you can have goods forwarded to Markham or to Mississauga.
Rates are reasonable.
System works well where dealers offer free shipping in Us.
Check their website for details.

Stephen06GT
12-08-2018, 09:23 PM

I also ran into that issue where a U.S company wouldn’t deal with shipping to Canada.

92redragtop
12-08-2018, 10:18 PM
I've been using CBI for the past 8 years or so as well....I prefer to pickup and bring over the border myself versus having a 3rd party do it.

Prettysweetsounds
12-09-2018, 06:48 PM
decided to set up an account with the cross border pickups. thanks for the information every one

hsousa88
12-09-2018, 07:33 PM
decided to set up an account with the cross border pickups. thanks for the information every one

Won’t be disappointed.. saved a bunch of money since I started using them.

trickflow-jay
12-09-2018, 10:39 PM
cant beat the convenience of cross border p/u's...said goodbye to border wait times and hassles yrs ago.

92redragtop
12-09-2018, 10:47 PM
cant beat the convenience of cross border p/u's...said goodbye to border wait times and hassles yrs ago.

That's what Nexus is for.

hsousa88
12-09-2018, 10:50 PM

Is nexus only a one time payment? I see $139usd but is there a renewal fee or anything?

92redragtop
12-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Is nexus only a one time payment? I see $139usd but is there a renewal fee or anything?

$50 for 5 years.

Scott
12-10-2018, 03:45 PM
I used CBI when I was building the 3V and it worked very well. Used Cross Border Pickups for one small package not too long ago and I must admit I am hooked on the convenience of local pickup.

I now want to get a front spoiler for the 18 (yes i now I was going to keep it slow on the mods but I am an out of control addict!) My problem with Cross Border Pickups is I can't figure out what the cost of them receiving the package would be. Don't seem to be able to maneuver around their website in an intelligent fashion. I do know that the US shipping quote to Canada for the spoiler and HST was $192 USD. CBP has got to be cheaper than that?

hsousa88
12-10-2018, 04:15 PM
I used CBI when I was building the 3V and it worked very well. Used Cross Border Pickups for one small package not too long ago and I must admit I am hooked on the convenience of local pickup.

I now want to get a front spoiler for the 18 (yes i now I was going to keep it slow on the mods but I am an out of control addict!) My problem with Cross Border Pickups is I can't figure out what the cost of them receiving the package would be. Don't seem to be able to maneuver around their website in an intelligent fashion. I do know that the US shipping quote to Canada for the spoiler and HST was $192 USD. CBP has got to be cheaper than that?

When I ordered my brake swap off eBay shipping would’ve been $400-450usd. I used CBP and paid $150cad if I remember correctly. I’m sure if you called them they would give you a rough estimate.

Snaketamer
12-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Got a new front prop shaft for my Polaris Rzr S through CBP...very painless and delivered to my door. Saved about $175.

trickflow-jay
12-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Nexus cant save u the 3hrs there and back

Chinga
12-17-2018, 04:38 PM

Another vote for CBI but it has moved so it's a little farther now and located by the Outlet Mall. I order items to be delivered there and couple it with other shopping, lunch or dinner.

CBI USA
1342 Military Rd, Niagara Falls, New York 14304
Phone 716.282.7447 - Fax 716.282.8632
https://www.cbiusa.com/

92redragtop
12-17-2018, 06:38 PM
Nexus cant save u the 3hrs there and back

I guess it depends on where you are located - it's about an hour from my office in Etobicoke to CBI, and I stop to replenish my craft beer stocks in NOTL/St Cath on the way back...plus you pay a lot of tax with CBP.

trickflow-jay
12-17-2018, 08:12 PM
lol u actually pay less oh well

hsousa88
12-17-2018, 08:38 PM
I guess it depends on where you are located - it's about an hour from my office in Etobicoke to CBI, and I stop to replenish my craft beer stocks in NOTL/St Cath on the way back...plus you pay a lot of tax with CBP.

I always thought tax was paid based on value?

92redragtop
12-17-2018, 11:47 PM
I always thought tax was paid based on value?

Yes (stated value).

Gabe
12-24-2018, 12:37 PM
One thing to consider with buying cross border is a situation I am going through right now where Cervini shipped me the wrong hood. Was shipped to Buffalo and brought over with CBP. Not until I paid the fees and duty upon pickup in Mississauga did I discover it was wrong.
Trying to get them to cover my costs (sent them my CBP receipt) up to this point and pick up the hood I have in Milton, but not sure if they will end up doing this or how it is going to get resolved

ZR
12-24-2018, 09:40 PM
Yikes.
Hope it plays out ok for you.

hammerhead
12-25-2018, 01:58 PM
One thing to consider with buying cross border is a situation I am going through right now where Cervini shipped me the wrong hood. Was shipped to Buffalo and brought over with CBP. Not until I paid the fees and duty upon pickup in Mississauga did I discover it was wrong.
Trying to get them to cover my costs (sent them my CBP receipt) up to this point and pick up the hood I have in Milton, but not sure if they will end up doing this or how it is going to get resolved

it's kinda what I'm worried about right now - have to order a frame and only one place makes it - and their rep in Canada is not too on the ball in past dealings...I'm not much of a gambler especially when it's not my cash

ZR
12-26-2018, 08:28 AM

I did not find them the most pleasant to deal with when a hood I purchased for the Cobra did not sit flat on one corner, would have taken hood pins to retain in position. Blamed the car, oddly enough, stock hood sits flat and aligns up as it should. Saving grace, bought locally and they took on the argument after I returned.

Gabe
12-26-2018, 05:59 PM
New hood is enroute to CBP with a zero dollar invoice/ warranty return statement from Cervini. Hopefully this is enough for the border agent

ZR
12-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Nice, hope it plays out how it should.
Excited yet?

Gabe
12-27-2018, 10:08 AM
It’s going to be great Rick, looking forward to it all coming together in the next few months

ZR
12-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Good to hear.

KRS
01-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Something to consider if you do very much cross border shopping is credit card conversion fees. The majority of card companies tack a 2-3% conversion fee onto the exchange rate. Home Trust Visa is one of two cards available that does not charge this conversion fee.

Gabe
01-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Something to consider if you do very much cross border shopping is credit card conversion fees. The majority of card companies tack a 2-3% conversion fee onto the exchange rate. Home Trust Visa is one of two cards available that does not charge this conversion fee.

Great to know, thanks for the information

DinoZ
01-24-2019, 08:25 AM
I use KINEK located on 6th street in Niagara Falls NY. About 5 minutes from the rainbow bridge exit.

On average costs me $5.00 usd per parcel. Costs nothing to set up, you do it on line.

Ordered almost all I need for the mustang, my bikes heck even a kitchen sink once. Most US companies ship for free.

I declare all and pay my taxes like a good Canadian should. In many cases they waved me through without taxation, bonus.

RioCobra
01-24-2019, 08:40 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on some old school Ford Racing gauges.
The seller is located in the US, and the parts are used.
I will pay with PayPal.
I want to sign up with Cross Border Pickups and pick it up in Mississauga.

Will this service still work for a private transaction?
What duty and taxes do they put on used parts?
The value is $200USD

Scott
01-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Waiting for Canada Customs clearance on used Air Lift Performance front and rear kits. Using CBP but want to pick up at their Markham location. My oversize package was delivered to my CBP US address last Friday at 9:24 am. Because there were no customs papers they requested via email I complete an online declaration. Cost was simply HST on the US made product. I expect the CBP fee to be around $29 on the 50lbs oversize box. Hopefully I will hear back about pickup today or tomorrow.

92redragtop
01-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Maybe a little slow right now due to US gov shutdown?

cudaboy
02-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Did anyone else get a request from CBP for a signature and identification to authorize them to bring goods into the country for me.
I dont like the acceptable ID items they list......drivers lic., passport, other items with photo.
In todays world I am not prepared to hand this info over to them.
They want copies of these items.

RioCobra
02-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Did anyone else get a request from CBP for a signature and identification to authorize them to bring goods into the country for me.
I dont like the acceptable ID items they list......drivers lic., passport, other items with photo.
In todays world I am not prepared to hand this info over to them.
They want copies of these items.

I just bought some used gauges, and they were shipped last week. CBP sent an email with the subject "IMPORTANT! Your Consent is Required to Receive Mail in the U.S". This email had a link to a form 1583 that I needed to fill out. I called them asking for some help about filling it out, and they said to just fill it out when I picked up the package.

I then got another email from CBP stating that there wasn't an invoice in the box, so they wanted to know the value. They also had in their email that the parts were new, but they were actually used. I filled out the dollar amount on line in the link provided, but it wouldn't let me change from new to used, so I sent an email stating this. They responded back that they changed from new to used.

For some reason I don't know why, I logged onto my CBP account, and noticed that there was a package that was not approved to be shipped, so I clicked on approve.
I thought this was weird because nowhere did they ever mention that I needed to login to approved any package.

Saturday I received another email advising the package was ready to be picked up at the Mississauga location, I went up there, and didn't have to fill out any form, or show any identification. I only provided my account number, paid the taxes and their fee, and left.

At times, I felt like the process wasn't clear on what I needed to do, and am fully expecting another email to fill out forms and provide ID.
They just didn't seem very organized.

trickflow-jay
02-14-2019, 08:35 AM
nothing beats CBP no similiar business out there....gas saver time saver tax saver!

hsousa88
02-14-2019, 01:20 PM
nothing beats CBP no similiar business out there....gas saver time saver tax saver!

Agreed

RioCobra
02-14-2019, 03:43 PM

I'll agree with time and gas.
How is it a tax saver?

trickflow-jay
02-16-2019, 08:31 AM
I'll agree with time and gas.
How is it a tax saver?

most of the time there is no invoice...you declare the amount just dont be greedy about it hint wink nudge

RioCobra
02-16-2019, 01:06 PM
most of the time there is no invoice...you declare the amount just dont be greedy about it hint wink nudge

Got ya lol

ZR
02-17-2019, 07:17 AM
It's weeks like this that reinforces how important it is to shop / support local business's. Needed a handful of oddball AN fittings for a project, Kashus and the guys over at Karbelts warehouse hooked me the hell up, try that cross border. I also try n make a nickel buy a dollars worth but time and time again, local either matches or comes so damm close I opt to spend here at home.
Just my 02.

trickflow-jay
05-11-2019, 09:59 AM
also guys you can save if you want to ship items within Canada and US

typically 30-50% off within Canada instead of using Canada Post,Purolator etc,.... i couldn't believe the difference in pricing

also if shipping to the US drop off your item(s) and save even more