PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta, Fusion, Taurus... Bye Bye

Armen
04-25-2018, 06:36 PM
http://fordauthority.com/2018/04/ford-to-prune-its-north-american-car-lineup-axe-the-fiesta-fusion-taurus-and-most-focus-models/

Hot on the heels of a report that Ford Motor Company was deliberating whether to continue offering Ford Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion in the US market, the automaker today formally announced that it will “not invest in next generations of traditional Ford sedans for North America.” In short, over the next couple of years, Ford will prune its US car lineup drastically, eliminating the Fiesta, Fusion, and Taurus, while the Focus range will be reduced to just a single model: the crossover-inspired Ford Focus Active.

Ford says it will explore “new ‘white space’ vehicle silhouettes” – or new opportunities to replicate what its Active models achieve, by combining attributes of cars and utility vehicles to offer a higher ride height, more space, and better versatility in a car-like package.

Ford says its decision to axe the bulk of its North American car lineup is rooted in the declining demand and profitability of such vehicles. The Ford Mustang will remain in the portfolio as a sporty halo vehicle, and a Focus Active based on the new, fourth-generation compact car will be brought in as a sort of “crossover lite,” but there will be no replacement for the sixth-generation Fiesta, the second-generation Fusion, or the sixth-generation Taurus.

Stephen06GT
04-25-2018, 06:48 PM
They will have to change their tune if the anticipated U$100.00 or more for a barrel of oil happens.

5.4MarkVIII
04-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Seems crazy. Fusions are everywhere. Thought it was one of their better sellers

stangstevers
04-25-2018, 08:38 PM
They will have to change their tune if the anticipated U$100.00 or more for a barrel of oil happens.

They are building a Hybrid Mustang. I’d say Ford will survive the next oil crises pretty well. I mean raw materials like plastic will be a bitch but at least they will have products to meet demand.

Ponyryd
04-25-2018, 08:48 PM

Dunno about that. FCA did a similar thing a couple years ago and sales didn’t seem to suffer at all, small crossovers get great fuel mileage and people love them.

I’m not surprised by this though, just wonder where this Focus Active will be built.

fast Ed
04-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Seems crazy. Fusions are everywhere. Thought it was one of their better sellers

Used to be, not so much now. Mid size sedan market is dying in North America, Honda is even struggling to sell Accords. Everyone wants SUVs now it seems.

True Blue
04-26-2018, 01:57 PM
https://jalopnik.com/why-ford-killed-its-cars-1825546289

RedSN
04-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Just like the Ranger, Ford says there's no market for these cars. Yet I see them everywhere :shrug:

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-26-2018, 02:14 PM
It's driven by U.S. sales numbers and demand. Many Canadians still purchase the "right size" vehicle for their needs, Americans not so much. Total Canadian vehicle sales amount to about the same as one larger state in the U.S., so what we want or would like to have up here isn't always a priority when planning for North America.

Scrape
04-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Goodbye Ford. Was nice knowing you.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Ford will be just fine. They're still selling lots of cars in Europe and China, but in North America it's going to be mostly SUVs and trucks besides Mustang. Fiat-Chrysler did the same thing with their sedans in the last few years, and GM is cutting production on that segment too. It's all about the dollars ... if they can make more money selling SUVs and trucks that are more profitable than sedans, it's a sound business decision. The small percentage of motorists in North America who are enthusiasts and still want passenger cars are not enough.

bluetoy
04-26-2018, 07:46 PM
One of the big reasons that no one is buying Fusions is because it has to be getting close to being the most recalled car in history. Every week there's another one. Focus and Fiesta are plagued with transmission complaints with that poor attempt at a DSG like gearbox. Taurus.. Well it's an exercise to see who can make the largest exterior dimension with the smallest possible interior space. There's tons and tons of Corollas, Camrys, Civics, Subie's, Elantra's etc etc. There's nothing wrong with the car market there is something wrong with the cars and quality Ford is bringing to market. Even VW after all the Diesel gate stuff is still selling cars like crazy.

G-ForceJunkie
04-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Ford has a quality issue period, IMO. Truck buyers seem to be the most forgiving of that fact.

5.4MarkVIII
04-27-2018, 07:26 AM
test drove the ford, dodge, chev, and Toyota

the fi150 was every bit as good quality than the rest and better optioned for the price

no sure why everyone is raggin on fords quality

bluetoy
04-27-2018, 03:57 PM
I love my Ford truck. You would have a hard time getting me in one of their cars. Well except for a Mustang.

Darkhorse
04-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Nobody buys them except rental car companies so this is what happens.

ZR
04-27-2018, 04:53 PM
All the mfg's have hit or miss moments, key is to pick the ride that suits you best.

Quicksilver
04-27-2018, 05:12 PM
One of the big reasons that no one is buying Fusions is because it has to be getting close to being the most recalled car in history. Every week there's another one. Focus and Fiesta are plagued with transmission complaints with that poor attempt at a DSG like gearbox. Taurus.. Well it's an exercise to see who can make the largest exterior dimension with the smallest possible interior space. There's tons and tons of Corollas, Camrys, Civics, Subie's, Elantra's etc etc. There's nothing wrong with the car market there is something wrong with the cars and quality Ford is bringing to market. Even VW after all the Diesel gate stuff is still selling cars like crazy.

We have a '16 Fusion. No recalls that I remember. Also no warranty claims in 55000 km. For that matter, 7 Mustangs, 3 F-150's and an f-250 with no warranty claims either. We do have a Fiesta with tranny problems but they fixed it for us.

5.4MarkVIII
04-27-2018, 06:28 PM
We do have a Fiesta with tranny problems

Driving in the wrong part of town?

Harbinger
04-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Driving in the wrong part of town?Fiesta and focus are known for transmission issues, unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
04-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Oh so not a Mexican party with cross dressers.

bluetoy
04-28-2018, 07:42 AM
This one site shows 25 recalls for Ford Fusions over various model years. That's a bad record and too bad because Fusions are pretty nice cars for the money.

https://www.cars.com/recalls/ford-fusion/

Armen
04-28-2018, 07:56 AM
This one site shows 25 recalls for Ford Fusions over various model years. That's a bad record and too bad because Fusions are pretty nice cars for the money.

57 For the Honda Accord, if you're talking multiple years like the Fusion example you posted.

https://www.cars.com/recalls/honda-accord/

Minus the 20 on the Accord that are pre-2006, since the Fusion was introduced and you're still left with 37 recalls since 2006 on what is believed to be one of the highest quality regular passenger sedans on the market for a long time.

29 on the Toyota Camry since 2006... https://www.cars.com/recalls/toyota-camry/

bluetoy
04-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Yes but the Accord is hideous.

Ponyryd
04-28-2018, 10:11 AM
^Thats subjective, just a lot, lol.

Fusions have been great cars, focus not so much, especially in the trans department. I guess the Charger will live on forever.....govt needs something to drive, lol.

Armen
04-28-2018, 12:34 PM
I see the Explorers seem to be very popular with Toronto and the OPP.

And then there's always...

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12396&d=1524933199

Darkhorse
04-29-2018, 06:23 PM
2018 Camry is a great looking car, I can see how most Americans go for that.

Everyone seems to buy Hyundai and Mazda now. The new GM Malibu finally looks nice again, but who is really buying it.

Harbinger
04-29-2018, 10:47 PM
2018 Camry is a great looking car, I can see how most Americans go for that.

Everyone seems to buy Hyundai and Mazda now. The new GM Malibu finally looks nice again, but who is really buying it.Toyota did a phenomenal job with the 2018 Camry. They got the back and front just right. Only minus is it's fwd not rwd and doesn't even have the option for awd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mellow Yellow
04-29-2018, 11:01 PM
We have a '16 Fusion. No recalls that I remember. Also no warranty claims in 55000 km. For that matter, 7 Mustangs, 3 F-150's and an f-250 with no warranty claims either. We do have a Fiesta with tranny problems but they fixed it for us.

I wish my 2013 Fusion had only 55000km on it!

Mine has 228,000km on it. Runs like a charm....where's the piece of wood to knock on....and mine is a Mexican product (early production).
That 2 L ecoboost is strong and seems very sturdy. No oil smoke, doesn't seem to use oil. Only major item I had to replace was the PTO...pissed me off that you couldn't just by the bearings and fix...nooo had to buy the whole thing.

Only recalls of significance was for the air bags. I think almost every car made has had that recall. The passenger side gets replace next week on the Mustang.

In reality, I think the low gas prices have contributed to this situation. Wait till gas hits $1,60 a litre and above and all this SUVs and trucks will be back on the lot. If Ford doesn't have product when that happens the sale will go elsewhere.

Mellow Yellow
04-29-2018, 11:05 PM

Guess I got lucky. Only one of those recalls affected my 2013 Fusion. All but one was outside my production date.

Bksrt8
05-01-2018, 01:00 PM
no sure why everyone is raggin on fords quality
I had NO issue with my F350. I loved that truck. Despite the rust it was a great truck....now the motor on the other hand....was fucking terrible. Thats not a Ford issue thats International.

If theyd have put a Cummins in it, the F250/F350 would be the best truck in history. Its already got the best automatic trans, best hd suspension (05+) and the strongest front and rear ends....the only thing Dodge has going for it is the Cummins. IF you can find a dodge with an NV5600 then youre bullet proof....well, after about 1000 bucks to add a bigger tail end to keep the gears IN the fluid.....but they've never been able to build an automatic and the bodies rot really fast...Chevy.....might as well not even go there.....they ride the best....nothing else good about them until you spend 20k in mods.

I cant speak for the 1500 series trucks....i drove a 2013 Ram Sport and i really liked it....ive never driven a new chev....ive only driven an 06 king ranch Ford so i dont know what the new stuff is like. I know for sure the 19 dodge LOOKS terrible.....the 19 Chev looks awesome and Ford isnt anything super special. I think if you pick one of the big 3, youre getting a decent rig....and even the offshore stuff like toyota and nissan seem to be getting better. Cant really go too wrong i dont think

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
05-01-2018, 01:04 PM
we test drove the Toyota and it was a nice truck but very dated in terms of look been no update in years

Laffs
05-01-2018, 01:41 PM
I had NO issue with my F350. I loved that truck. Despite the rust it was a great truck....now the motor on the other hand....was fucking terrible. Thats not a Ford issue thats International.

If theyd have put a Cummins in it, the F250/F350 would be the best truck in history. Its already got the best automatic trans, best hd suspension (05+) and the strongest front and rear ends....the only thing Dodge has going for it is the Cummins. IF you can find a dodge with an NV5600 then youre bullet proof....well, after about 1000 bucks to add a bigger tail end to keep the gears IN the fluid.....but they've never been able to build an automatic and the bodies rot really fast...Chevy.....might as well not even go there.....they ride the best....nothing else good about them until you spend 20k in mods.

I cant speak for the 1500 series trucks....i drove a 2013 Ram Sport and i really liked it....ive never driven a new chev....ive only driven an 06 king ranch Ford so i dont know what the new stuff is like. I know for sure the 19 dodge LOOKS terrible.....the 19 Chev looks awesome and Ford isnt anything super special. I think if you pick one of the big 3, youre getting a decent rig....and even the offshore stuff like toyota and nissan seem to be getting better. Cant really go too wrong i dont think

We run a fleet at work that's Ford and Chevy, just ordered 5 Rams for first time because the price was right and I vouched pretty hard for them.

Chevy's ride like shit compared to a Dodge, and no features or redeeming tech to speak of. But their solid built and generally last a long time without needed work. Problem is Chevy has rested on their laurels and also decided to price itself premium. Also every truck stereotype seems to be rooted in the 1990's. My last Dodge went 260k with 0 trans issues and no rust. We also have a 2003 Super Duty and a 2009 Super Duty both have which have needed 0 motor work but the transmissions have crapped out twice in 60k. We also have an 03 Chevy HD that's literally just been condemned because the body mounts rusted off, but we spent $3000 in maintenance total for 15 years of service.

Honestly today there all the same shit with different wrappers and packaging. Pick the one that's priced the best for its features, specs and your preference, odds are no one is going to keep them over 5 years anyway so it doesn't fucking matter. If you want a truck that will last a life time pick a diesel a big gas motor'd truck from the late 90's or so, spend a fortune to have the body, suspension and transmission sorted and enjoy driving around in a lumber wagon.

Bksrt8
05-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Honestly today there all the same shit with different wrappers and packaging. Pick the one that's priced the best for its features, specs and your preference, odds are no one is going to keep them over 5 years anyway so it doesn't fucking matter. If you want a truck that will last a life time pick a diesel a big gas motor'd truck from the late 90's or so, spend a fortune to have the body, suspension and transmission sorted and enjoy driving around in a lumber wagon.

Im always on the lookout for a 1st gen ram with the cummins. Plan is to put my p pump cummins in after a rebuild and fix the kdp issue and add a compound turbo setup and then just drive the whore. Make the body SOLID but it dont need to be pretty.

Generally speaking, if you keep up on maintainence anything mechanical should last. I see alot of people running into HUGE repair bills on the heui diesels because they dont change the oil enough. Simple shit that is the difference between a working machine and a several thousand dollar repair bill.

Funny to me that you prefer the ride of the dodge over chev....i find the chev quite plush but as with any gm, the second theres a little weight in the box, it squats like a dog having a dump. The ride in the new ford sd trucks is quite nice...drove a 16 f250 the other day and i forgot i was even in a truck.