PDA

View Full Version : The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

Quicksilver
01-23-2018, 11:20 AM
OK. This is just a very small sample. Maybe it means nothing, but I am mentioning it anyway.
Recently I have dined out at 3 different restaurants.
One is a large sit down chicken restaurant, easily seating 150 or more people. It's local, and we have been may times over the last 9 years since we moved to Newmarket. We went on Saturday evening and the first thing we heard was from the waitress, who warned us that service would be slow.
At one point, she could not refill our soft drinks, because, although they replacement canisters in the basement, no one had time to go downstairs to bring them up.
Then she apologized again because they were shorthanded.

A few days later we went for lunch on Sunday to another franchise burger chain: a sit down restaurant to which we again had been numerous times. Unfortunately, the same thing happened. We were warned before we sat down that they were shorthanded and it would take longer.
during our meal, the waitress confided that the short-handedness was probably permanent, and that her tip percentage had dropped significantly since the minimum wage went up.

At yet a third restaurant, also a franchise but for fish and chips this time, the same thing again happened.

I am not necessarily reading anything into this, just making a brief observation, but it does seem apparent that jobs are being lost. Thanks again Ontario Liberals.

Laffs
01-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Noticed it a bit as of late at a few coffee shops. Have heard from a few folks with teenagers at home a lot of part time hours have be slashed, so perhaps not full on job loss but definitely a reduction in hours.

RedSN
01-23-2018, 11:50 AM
We went to Joey's last Saturday. It was wonderful. They took our drink orders, we both had a nice French Grenache, then they gave us a free sample of some pork dumplings. They were soooo good we decided to get it as an appetizer. There was a lot of people there and a couple of really annoying kids. Then we ordered our main course. I had a delicious steak cooked to perfection, maybe they use sous-vide? Whatever they did it was great! My wife ordered the Hawaiian Tuna Tacos. We got married in Hawaii. While we were in Hawaii we took a helicopter ride, and we were on a cruise. The food on the cruise was very good but the service was mediocre. It wasn't as good as the cruise we took on the Mediterranean. Anyway, I digress. Joey's didn't seem to be short staffed due to the Liberals increasing the minimum wage. We didn't have desert because we were too full. There was a really annoying group of really old people at the table next to us. When they were done and leaving, one old woman (who was the more mobile of the trio) got up and put her coat on and proceeded to the door were she held it open for the other two. They took their bloody time getting up and dressed, and the entire time the front doors are open and everybody is freezing.

So I recommend Joey's.

Laffs
01-23-2018, 12:05 PM
We went to Joey's last Saturday. It was wonderful. They took our drink orders, we both had a nice French Grenache, then they gave us a free sample of some pork dumplings. They were soooo good we decided to get it as an appetizer. There was a lot of people there and a couple of really annoying kids. Then we ordered our main course. I had a delicious steak cooked to perfection, maybe they use sous-vide? Whatever they did it was great! My wife ordered the Hawaiian Tuna Tacos. We got married in Hawaii. While we were in Hawaii we took a helicopter ride, and we were on a cruise. The food on the cruise was very good but the service was mediocre. It wasn't as good as the cruise we took on the Mediterranean. Anyway, I digress. Joey's didn't seem to be short staffed due to the Liberals increasing the minimum wage. We didn't have desert because we were too full. There was a really annoying group of really old people at the table next to us. When they were done and leaving, one old woman (who was the more mobile of the trio) got up and put her coat on and proceeded to the door were she held it open for the other two. They took their bloody time getting up and dressed, and the entire time the front doors are open and everybody is freezing.

So I recommend Joey's.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/001/007/WAT.jpg

WTF
01-23-2018, 12:19 PM

So I recommend Joey's.

lmfao

10/10 from the Canadian Judge

TC86GT
01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
A local restaurant to us actually asked us to fill out a quick poll. They typically have complementary nachos/salsa at the table when you're seated and the handful of candies when you get your bill. Due to cut backs one had to go, so they were asking customer input as to what gets chopped. Shaving a buck wherever they can. Price hikes and new menus happened months ago, I personally think they were prepping for the wage hike it before it happened that way people didn't bitch about higher prices as of Jan 1st.

It's happening everywhere.

5.4MarkVIII
01-23-2018, 01:27 PM
A local restaurant to us actually asked us to fill out a quick poll. They typically have complementary nachos/salsa at the table when you're seated and the handful of candies when you get your bill. Due to cut backs one had to go, so they were asking customer input as to what gets chopped. Shaving a buck wherever they can. Price hikes and new menus happened months ago, I personally think they were prepping for the wage hike it before it happened that way people didn't bitch about higher prices as of Jan 1st.

It's happening everywhere.

This is a good way to do it get the customers involved. For all the people I’ve seen bitching about horrible business owners. I’ve not yet seen one offering to pay more out of their pocket to help cover the wage increase.

Quicksilver
01-23-2018, 03:58 PM
A small local schwarma place near me has 2 full time and 2 part time employees. the owner is an acquaintance of mine. I was speaking to him the other day. Out of the blue, he now has to spend an extra $360 a week to cover the increase in wages. He said to me that he had been holding his own for years, but was now afraid to raise prices, so he has little choice but to let one of the part timers go, and work more hours himself. I think Ms. Wynne should visit his restaurant.

The Newmare
01-23-2018, 04:46 PM
THE RESTAURNTS I FREQUENT HAVE NOT CHANGED A BIT,PRICE AND SERVICE STILL GOOD.I pay my helpers $16.00 per hour already above min. wage!!

Styrofoam04
01-23-2018, 04:46 PM

So I recommend Joey's.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/892/258/ed1.gif

Burns
01-23-2018, 05:13 PM

So I recommend Joey's.

Head trauma??? LMAO!

Styrofoam04
01-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Don, you have to post that on their google review page

5.4MarkVIII
01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
THE RESTAURNTS I FREQUENT HAVE NOT CHANGED A BIT,PRICE AND SERVICE STILL GOOD.I pay my helpers $16.00 per hour already above min. wage!!

This is great for places that are busy enough to support that wage. But a lot of small town places are really struggling.

Local restraunt sold last year after the wage increase was announced. New owners cut hours and layed off pretty much everyone. Now just work it themselves.

So many (like those in our governments) focus on the big cities cuz that where they win the elections. Everyone else just trying to get by gets screwed.

I also have always payed my employees above minim wage. 15 per hour which in our small town ain’t bad.

One has already looked at me and said if he is still making 15 next year when minus jumps again. “The heavy lifting and customer hassle I deal with isn’t worth it when I can go any where and get payed the same at minimum.”

So just real world numbers.
My wife and I have owned this business for 4years we take home a combined 100k
Every dime then usiness has made in the last 4 years has gone into paying off the start up fees and re building the business.

We were dropped out of the blue 2 years ago by a creditor and forced to pay off a large chunk of debt. we had to sell off floor stock to do that which left the store looking empty for about 9 months. This is bad news for retail and routers started to fly. Our sales were cut in half that year.

We have clawed back and managed to reborrow to re fill stock, replace a broken truck and compleat a much needed facelift. Things are turning around but I’ve dumped another 100k into the store this year to try and right the ship.

This entire time my employees never had to worry about their pay checks.
We didn’t get ours untill all other stuff was payed each week. We still kept the Christmas bonuses and all the other perks with the exception of the benefit plan. Was just too much and our guys were not really using it so after a meeting they agreed it was an unneeded expense.

Now if I have to give my guys each a $3/hour raid to keep I longed with the new minimum

The only place for that extra $11000 per year to come out of is my wage.

Which will mean a pay cut and that one of my employees will be taking home more than I do.
While I retain all the debt and risk and work twice the hours he does.

I do this as a long term investment for my family. I know we can grow this business and once we are out from under the large start up costs it can be profitable for us. I believe in giving back to my community in investing in its people

This is what the government dosnt get. This is what they can’t see when all they look at is multi million dollar franchises.

This is the reality of thousands and thousands of small business Across the country.

When is enough enough?

When do I say screw it and move the city to triple my wage doing the same work for another larger corporation that doesn’t give a shit about it’s customers, employees and their community’s?

Screw
01-23-2018, 06:52 PM
What I got from Don’a post was that he find kids and old people annoying :shrug: Lol

bluetoy
01-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Short answer to the title question. Yes.

Harbinger
01-24-2018, 04:47 AM
So tell me how long should the minimum wage have stayed at 11 bucks an hour? Another 20 years? While the cost of living grows astronomically?

It took over 40 years for it to go up from around 2 bucks an hour to what it is now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

G-ForceJunkie
01-24-2018, 07:47 AM
The former minimum wage was linked to inflation. I believe it went up every year (assuming inflation I suppose).

Google will show you inflation adjusted minimum wages for the last 50 years or so, I believe right now will be the highest it's ever been in Ontario.

5.4MarkVIII
01-24-2018, 08:41 AM
The former minimum wage was linked to inflation. I believe it went up every year (assuming inflation I suppose).

Google will show you inflation adjusted minimum wages for the last 50 years or so, I believe right now will be the highest it's ever been in Ontario.

This plenty of experts say it was on par with minimum way back to the 50’s? when you factor in inflation

What has changed is back then it wasn’t a career choice it was a part time job for teens or somone looking for a little extra cash.

Our society has turned in to debt hungry people who have forgotten what a want is vs a need
So somone spends past their means and can’t afford to cover their bills and it’s the evil business owners job to make it right. Or so thinks the government.

Harbinger
01-24-2018, 09:30 AM
This plenty of experts say it was on par with minimum way back to the 50’s? when you factor in inflation

What has changed is back then it wasn’t a career choice it was a part time job for teens or somone looking for a little extra cash.

Our society has turned in to debt hungry people who have forgotten what a want is vs a need
So somone spends past their means and can’t afford to cover their bills and it’s the evil business owners job to make it right. Or so thinks the government.

I think today is vastly different. Its not exactly easy to find a good paying job with benefits and security, so many are forced to find minimum wage jobs ( multiple ) to scrape by. Everything got expensive as well. Its not exactly black and white.

Also I would say the same for business owners: to live within their means, cut back on lavish life styles etc and adapt to the changes just like everyone else.

ZR
01-24-2018, 09:43 AM
What many don't understand, when all is said and done, every growing number of small to mid size business owners have merely bought themselves a job and are not making what you think. Last time I checked, we live in a free society where govt should start paying better attention to their own short comings vs shoving unrealistic demands on the very business's that they claim are the back bone of our country.
Could you or anyone else you know stomach being told almost overnight you need to take a 20%+ drop in pay? Thats exactly what the Ont Lib's have shoved down biz owners throats. Many of these business models are built around a labor cost of X and operate on small profit margins making money only on volume.
Best part is, these pricks have spun it to make biz owners the bad guys when in reality it's them breaking biz owners balls to buy them votes.

03svt
01-24-2018, 09:45 AM
I think today is vastly different. Its not exactly easy to find a good paying job with benefits and security, so many are forced to find minimum wage jobs ( multiple ) to scrape by. Everything got expensive as well. Its not exactly black and white.

Also I would say the same for business owners: to live within their means, cut back on lavish life styles etc and adapt to the changes just like everyone else.

I agree with half of what your saying, I don’t have a problem with the min wage increase, I think it could have been done a little more gradual over the next couple years though.

Pay Doesn’t Increase with my staff, but Im wondering if suppliers will start raising prices? Time will tell.

The second half of your comment about business owners adapting, your forgetting we assume all the risk, and should benefit from that risk! if you don’t like that, start your own business and become a job creator and watch how your opinion changes!

ZR
01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Nothings changed, my Dad worked on average 14,15 or 16+ hrs 6 and sometimes 7 days a week when I was a kid while my Mom worked from home. Bought a house n poured every cent they could scrounge to pay it off. One of the last familys' in my group of friends to have a color TV or cable, did not take big trips, never had a new car nor did we eat out very often. Fast forward to today, everyone has to have the latest n greatest cell phone with a gazillion gigs of date, same with a computer, same with a nice car or cars, eats out on a reg basis, takes big $$ vacations at least once a year, nothing but big label sunglasses, clothes n the such but bitches whines n complains they can't afford to buy a house in todays market cause their greedy boss is making too much money. While I agree big dollar jobs are disappearing at an alarming rate, same goes for the level of profit many business owners should be making especially given they are in many cases, risking everything they have in the world.

Harbinger
01-24-2018, 10:00 AM
I agree with half of what your saying, I don’t have a problem with the min wage increase, I think it could have been done a little more gradual over the next couple years though. Doesn’t Increase with my staff, but Im wondering if suppliers will start raising prices? Time will tell.

The second half of your comment about business owners adapting, your forgetting we assume all the risk, and should benefit from that risk! if you don’t like that, start your own business and become a job creator and watch how your opinion changes!

I understand the risks involved. I just think everyone has to adapt to the changes instead of blaming one another. Some businesses were able to slowely increase prices by a marginal degree in order to offset the minimum wage increase and thus survive ( for example ).

Im fortunate enough to have landed a decent job recently. However I had to deal with working shit minimum wage jobs ( before) and feeling the pressure of cost of living bills and all the other unnecessary over priced expenses.

I have no problem with business owners benefiting from their risks and hard work. Again, both parties should always think ahead and if shit hits the fan both parties need to "live within their means". If it means cutting back on projects, boats, fast cars or multi realestate then so be it.

OneQwkStang
01-24-2018, 10:02 AM
A lot of small business owners are cutting employees and working the hours themselves.

5.4MarkVIII
01-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Business in my area have joined together to do job fairs around the province. Openings for upwards of 400 jobs. Most with benefits and none paying minimum wage. No one in our area can find people that are willing to show up and work.

Harbinger
01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Business in my area have joined together to do job fairs around the province. Openings for upwards of 400 jobs. Most with benefits and none paying minimum wage. No one in our area can find people that are willing to show up and work.There must be something amiss

5.4MarkVIII
01-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Has been a problem for years the stigma of in need to make “this much per hour” and if your not collage educated you won’t amiunt to anything has been driving the younger generation away

In Toronto you can’t live off $15 per hour.
I’ll agree with that 100%

But around here 15 is not bad.

I payed $115000 for my house 5 years ago. That’s not a typo.

Two story brick century home with a nice big yard and detached single garage. Move in ready
$115,000

In interview people for a part time delivery Job. And offer 15 per hour

I’ve had guys look at me and say no. You will pay me 30.
Lol that’s more than I take home

Local place does manufacturing did a 2 month advertising spree to start a second shift because they are so busy.

Got in a bunch or resumes. Called every single one for interview. 8 people responded.
Of those 8 four came back for orientation and after the first week only one was showing up for work everyday

The current workforce is lazy. Un motivated and expects big money for little work.
They show up drunk or high have no respect for other property and no clue on customer service.

This is my experience in the last 5 years as a business owner.
You might get one good employee out of every ten you try.

5.4MarkVIII
01-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Nothings changed, my Dad worked on average 14,15 or 16+ hrs 6 and sometimes 7 days a week when I was a kid while my Mom worked from home. Bought a house n poured every cent they could scrounge to pay it off. One of the last familys' in my group of friends to have a color TV or cable, did not take big trips, never had a new car nor did we eat out very often. Fast forward to today, everyone has to have the latest n greatest cell phone with a gazillion gigs of date, same with a computer, same with a nice car or cars, eats out on a reg basis, takes big $$ vacations at least once a year, nothing but big label sunglasses, clothes n the such but bitches whines n complains they can't afford to buy a house in todays market cause their greedy boss is making too much money. While I agree big dollar jobs are disappearing at an alarming rate, same goes for the level of profit many business owners should be making especially given they are in many cases, risking everything they have in the world.

Nail on the head

I have an ex friend who used to always bitch about. Or having money. Was constant.
Every time we would go anywhere it was a huge fight with his wife about how they couldn’t afford anything

I got tired of my and tried to talk to him one day about how his money problems were on him and he needed to control his and his wife’s spending.

He got mad and told me not all of us are rich business owners.

Did the math. Him and his wife took home more money that my wife and I did
But
His house 270,000.
My house 115,000

He had two cell phones both with big dollar plans dispute his wife working from home. Fastest possible internet, big cable package
Used car on high interest payments.

Dinners and movies and shopping shopping. Shopping credit cards maxed out.
Got a big bonus at work every year. (Like multiple thousands) and every year blew it on stupid stuff.

Where as my wife and I have resinablencell phone plans. No cable. Slow internet.
No movies, no shopping trips for stuff we don’t need ect ect ect

We sacrifice so that when i found the 40 year old boat I was able to buy it. Cheap house lets me have the new truck and camping trailer.

People need to learn to make choices about what they need, what they want and what they can afford.

No one knows how to do that

ZR
01-24-2018, 10:34 AM
There must be something amiss

Actually it's not, super common.

92redragtop
01-24-2018, 10:43 AM

I don't think the majority of business owners out there are living lavish lifestyles - yes, there is a small percentage but many have all the assets/wealth tied up in risk capital/investments and not necessarily living/rolling in cash - one wrong move and/or turn of the economy and it could all go away very quickly. yes, there are a few who are very liquid and live that lifestyle you describe but I think they are in the minority of small business owners. Most moderately successful one probably end up making the high end of the Canadian average household income (high 5-figure to low 6-figure) which doesn't really buy that lavish lifestyle.

Scrape
01-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Love going to Joey's at Don Mills and Lawrence.

So I recommend Joey's.

Quicksilver
01-24-2018, 11:37 AM
Business in my area have joined together to do job fairs around the province. Openings for upwards of 400 jobs. Most with benefits and none paying minimum wage. No one in our area can find people that are willing to show up and work.
LAst summer I decided that we should buy a $50,000 mini loader to dig and set post holes, excavate and that sort of thing. I got the machine in June, and unfortunately we have barely used it. I COULD NOT find workers for it. I advertised all summer for 2 people: an experienced operator, and a helper. I was willing to pay $25 and $18 respectively. The few people who had experience were all around $30. I even offered a medical/dental plan.
I hired one, who never showed up. The second one worked one day and never came back, not even to pick up his pay. A third worked two weeks, then his mom got sick and he had to be with her. Never came back.
I moved to $20 for the helper. Same thing. No shows, one day guys, complainers, slackers, umpteen people never even showing for an interview.
Not only that, but it's getting more and more difficult to find experienced skilled workers. I am one of the top payers in my industry, and yet the talent pool is dwindling.

Oh, and for the record: I am not one of those rich businessmen with boats and cottages and fancy nights out. No boat, no cottage, dinner at Montana's of Swiss Chalet, not enough put away to retire, ever. I'd truly be better off to work for someone.

Mellow Yellow
01-24-2018, 11:43 AM
I understand the risks involved. I just think everyone has to adapt to the changes instead of blaming one another. Some businesses were able to slowely increase prices by a marginal degree in order to offset the minimum wage increase and thus survive ( for example ).

Im fortunate enough to have landed a decent job recently. However I had to deal with working shit minimum wage jobs ( before) and feeling the pressure of cost of living bills and all the other unnecessary over priced expenses.

I have no problem with business owners benefiting from their risks and hard work. Again, both parties should always think ahead and if shit hits the fan both parties need to "live within their means". If it means cutting back on projects, boats, fast cars or multi realestate then so be it.

Or cutting back on staff!

Mellow Yellow
01-24-2018, 11:46 AM

Very prevalent situation.

Local business went through the hoops to find who they thought was the right candidate for the admin job, paying $18 an hour.
Agreed to everything.......the candidate never showed up to work. No contact, won't answer phones. Business has no idea what went wrong.

Clutt gt
01-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Not to keep going on as it’s done and is what it is. But an example
I have a new hire that has a little experience on his resume.
Has been working on a Drywall patch less than two sheets of drywall installed 2’ off the floor. 3hrs and has not managed to install the board so we can tape.
He spent all day yesterday working hand in hand with a carpenter installing board.
Am I expecting too much for my minimum wage?
So yes I’m making money hand over fist off the back of minimum wage workers.

Harbinger
01-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Very prevalent situation.

Local business went through the hoops to find who they thought was the right candidate for the admin job, paying $18 an hour.
Agreed to everything.......the candidate never showed up to work. No contact, won't answer phones. Business has no idea what went wrong.That is unprofessional and irresponsible. Its unfortunate that there are people like this.

RedSN
01-24-2018, 12:45 PM
I COULD NOT find workers for it. I advertised all summer for 2 people: an experienced operator, and a helper. I was willing to pay $25 and $18 respectively. The few people who had experience were all around $30.
.... I am one of the top payers in my industry, and yet the talent pool is dwindling.

Experienced operators are getting $30, and you're willing to pay them $25. I don't think this makes you one of the top payers in your industry.

03svt
01-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Not to keep going on as it’s done and is what it is. But an example
I have a new hire that has a little experience on his resume.
Has been working on a Drywall patch less than two sheets of drywall installed 2’ off the floor. 3hrs and has not managed to install the board so we can tape.
He spent all day yesterday working hand in hand with a carpenter installing board.
Am I expecting too much for my minimum wage?
So yes I’m making money hand over fist off the back of minimum wage workers.

How do you not lose your shit? Seriously?

Clutt gt
01-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Well he shows up on time and sober, doesn’t text all day and wants to learn.
I hope he learns fast and stays around for a bit once he does learn. He’s young and inexperienced. He has to get that experience some where.
Yes it’s expensive to train the newbie.
Roughly 20 to 30% more expensive than it was.
Welcome to Ontario where everyone deserves to earn a decent wage regardless of what they can produce.

True Blue
01-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Experienced operators are getting $30, and you're willing to pay them $25. I don't think this makes you one of the top payers in your industry.

I was running heavy equipment for 10 years and back in the early 2000's I was making $32/hr. The experienced operators I know, are making around $35-40/hr.

Gabe
01-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Burrito Place I go to presumably has minimum wage workers preparing my burrito. January 1st prices went up for my burrito by 50 cents. All the same workers are still there, now when I go in I give them an extra 50 cents and eat my Burrito. Seems to work well

Quicksilver
01-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Excuse me. I did hire people and I did go to $30. Still couldn't find people. This is a mini loader, not a big machine,. This is to dig holes in peoples backyards, not excavate basements.
The helper only needed to wheel a barrow and brush dirt off the auger (not particularly skilled work), so $18-20 seems reasonable to me.
And my carpenters, who actually build my decks, make considerably more than that.
I have to be competitive in my particular industry, and paying $40 an hour to run a small machine puts me out of reach to my customer. That's actually more than I earn.
Since I'm on this, the construction industry is full of low life scammers, and it is not at all unusual to have some people employing illegals and even kids for 8-10/hr, paying cash under the table, and they are willing to take on jobs for prices that are not even worth the paper to write my quote on.
Still, I try to pay the best that I can. I have 4 carpenters who have been with me 30 years, 18 years, 7 years and 4 years. I must be doing something right.

Quicksilver
01-24-2018, 02:56 PM
I was running heavy equipment for 10 years and back in the early 2000's I was making $32/hr. The experienced operators I know, are making around $35-40/hr.
I got a lot of them. They were all union members.

jibbijib
01-24-2018, 04:08 PM

So I recommend Joey's.

https://media.tenor.com/images/58e7588cb81b57913ec6b164be698f86/tenor.gif

ZR
01-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Company after company after company leaving Ontario the last few years.

The Campbell Soup Company says that it will close its Etobicoke plant, resulting in the elimination of about 380 jobs.
The plant, which is located on Birmingham Street, first opened in 1931.
In a news release issued on Wednesday, the company said that it made the decision to close the plant following a review of its manufacturing operations.

PHOTOS
https://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3774023.1516825246!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (https://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3774023.1516825246!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

The Campbell Soup Company's Etobicoke plant is shown in this handout photo. The company says it will close the plant within the next 18 months.

The company says that it will continue to operate the plant for up to 18 months while closing it in phases.
“After a thorough review, we decided this was the best course of action for our business. We are operating in an increasingly challenging environment as our industry's consumer and retail landscapes continue to change dramatically,” Mark Alexander, who is the Campbell Soup Company’s president of Simple Meals and Beverages for the Americas, said in the release. This decision in no way reflects on the talent or dedication of our team at our Toronto facility, and we are committed to assisting them through this difficult transition.”
The Etobicoke facility actually employs about 600 people; however about 200 of those people work in commercial operations at the Campbell Soup Company’s Canadian headquarters, which will be relocated elsewhere in the Greater Toronto Area.
In the release, the company said that “site selection” is already underway to find a new location in the GTA.
Meanwhile, the company says that employees who are laid off due to the closure of the plant will receive “severance packages that recognize their commitment and service” as well as access to “career counseling.”
“Campbell will also host job fairs and provide on-site financial planning workshops, among other benefits, to assist employees with the transition,” the release states.
Tory calls news heartbreaking
In the release, the company said that the Etobicoke plant is one of the oldest in its network and therefor “cannot be retrofit in a way that is competitively viable.”
News of the closure, however, may still come as a surprise to many longtime employees.
In a statement, Mayor John Tory said Campbells’s “employed generations of residents in Etobicoke-Lakeshore.”
"I know today's news is heartbreaking for the hundreds of employees who work at Campbell Canada's Toronto plant,” he said. “On behalf of the people of Toronto, I want to extend sympathy and support to all those who will be personally affected by this closure. The loss of any jobs in our city is tragic – that's why we work so hard to attract businesses and jobs to Toronto.”
Tory said that he did reach out to Campbell Canada President Ana Dominguez on Wednesday to “offer her any and all help” in assisting the employees affected by the closure.
He said that he also “made it clear” that he believes Campbell’s planned Canadian headquarters should be located in Toronto and not elsewhere in the region.

stangstevers
01-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Why would the restaurant owner reduce the dinning experience because of increased costs? That will likely destroy the reputation a lot more than a 20% increase in prices.

And the liberals don’t care about the working poor, they just want to buy votes at the cost of the economy. It’s not a great time to increase cost of doing business with Trump lowering taxes and going to full on protectionist mode. We do not have competent leaders to ride the storm and if there’s a Trump for a 2nd term?

5.4MarkVIII
01-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Why would the restaurant owner reduce the dinning experience because of increased costs? That will likely destroy the reputation a lot more than a 20% increase in prices. ?

Can’t say for sure but if I had to guess, it’s not the owner who does the customer experience it’s the staff, it’s the staff that runs to the basement and changes the pop dispensers. It’s the staff that checks back in with customers to make sure they have everything they need.

My bet the owner cut back either benefits of hours and the staff is pissed. So are refusing to do things

I mean if I asked for a refill and the waitress was like well the pop is empty and nooneg has time to run downstairs and get he refills.

So what? You just not gonna serve pop the rest of the night? Instead of sure thing sir. But our dispenser needs a refill I need to go down and grab a cartrged. Be back in ten min.

92redragtop
01-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Partially off topic but some overlap to expectation of wages and tie-in to our personal effort. This episode on one of my subscribed podcasts showed up last night - I like Andy and find him entertaining but it's not rocket science and can be a little repetitive at times in the longer episodes...so I listen at 1.5X). Language is NSFW.

http://themfceo.com/three-types-people-one-andy-frisella-mfceo208/

Black Sheep
01-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Partially off topic but some overlap to expectation of wages and tie-in to our personal effort. This episode on one of my subscribed podcasts showed up last night - I like Andy and find him entertaining but it's not rocket science and can be a little repetitive at times in the longer episodes...so I listen at 1.5X). Language is NSFW.

http://themfceo.com/three-types-people-one-andy-frisella-mfceo208/

Very interesting podcast

92redragtop
01-25-2018, 03:23 PM
Very interesting podcast

Yes, it is - been subscribed for about a year I think....plain language guy. He's had a few Ford GTs too (he's on Instagram too). Owns a nutritional products company.

5.4MarkVIII
01-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Might have to add that to my driving list.

92redragtop
01-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Might have to add that to my driving list.

I had thought of you in the past on this one and meant to start a podcast subscription thread - that you would enjoy his approach/thoughts. I'm always looking for good/interesting content.

92redragtop
01-25-2018, 06:12 PM
good idea

It's on my to do list to make a list of my podcast subscriptions....will do next couple days.

Clutt gt
01-27-2018, 01:39 AM
So after a lot of thinking about this min wage hike and my own recent new hire. I'm at this.
Yes min wage has gone up and will do so again next year. In my opinion it was long over due. if you are going to have a minimum wage to stop the exploitation of workers then at least put it somewhere close to making it relevant.
Now my last hire started at 12hr green as grass and has quickly received raises throughout the year on his own merit.
And is well above min wage at this point.
I have recently hired another and despite a lack lustre performance the first week there are some promising attributes.
So at this point although I'm paying what I would consider to be too much for someone to clean buckets and sweep floors.
He too will learn and be worth much more in time. We all started somewhere and I'm dam sure there have been days and weeks that I've been paid more than I was worth and if you feel that's not your case than your wrong.
I put this kid on a job he was not capable of and complained that I didn't make money. That's a me problem.
Min wage for min knowledge what ever dollar is attached
At the end of the week it's one guy and a few bucks it's not going to sink us.
If you have many people making min wage like a Tims then you are probably pushing volumes and it's not going to sink you either.

92redragtop
01-29-2018, 03:01 PM
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-managing/ontario-restaurant-owners-say-minimum-wage-hike-forcing-them-to-cut-alter-menus/article37762743/

Gabe
01-29-2018, 03:38 PM
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-managing/ontario-restaurant-owners-say-minimum-wage-hike-forcing-them-to-cut-alter-menus/article37762743/

From the article
"Last year, he opened a new restaurant called Annabelle Pasta Bar in Toronto's west end, specifically with the wage hike in mind. Annabelle serves three pasta dishes a day for $10 each, and it operates out of a space that was formerly a convenience store".

So why can't they just increase the cost of the pasta dish to $11 or $12 instead of $10 rather than cutting the menu. Maybe I am missing something here, but I certainly don't expect small business/ restaurants etc to just accept this wage hike and keep all of their pricing the same as they previously were. I am well informed on the matter (as most people are) and expect things to be slightly more expensive now and more expensive again in 2019 due to both inflation and the next phase of the wage hike. I get this restaurateur likes having a round number like 10 bucks to be able to advertise his menu, but at some point it would have to increase regardless of the cost of minimum wage, so what's the difference.

92redragtop
01-29-2018, 05:10 PM
From the article
"Last year, he opened a new restaurant called Annabelle Pasta Bar in Toronto's west end, specifically with the wage hike in mind. Annabelle serves three pasta dishes a day for $10 each, and it operates out of a space that was formerly a convenience store".

So why can't they just increase the cost of the pasta dish to $11 or $12 instead of $10 rather than cutting the menu. Maybe I am missing something here, but I certainly don't expect small business/ restaurants etc to just accept this wage hike and keep all of their pricing the same as they previously were. I am well informed on the matter (as most people are) and expect things to be slightly more expensive now and more expensive again in 2019 due to both inflation and the next phase of the wage hike. I get this restaurateur likes having a round number like 10 bucks to be able to advertise his menu, but at some point it would have to increase regardless of the cost of minimum wage, so what's the difference.

Not so black and white/easy in the restaurant business - very high failure rate, changing customer tastes, high start-up costs. The family of someone who works for me has a Korean restaurant downtown and I was asking him about pricing and competition in the business last week, and from their perspective price increases typically mean a hit to their business since the sector is so fierce in terms of competition and choice (moreso in some sub-segments than others). I don't think it's about the round number per se but a 10% or 20% price increase isn't that easy to do (CPI is ~2%).

trickflow-jay
01-30-2018, 10:12 PM
make Ont. great again............DON'T vote LIBTARD!!!!!!!!!

Styrofoam04
02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
So the wife and I are huge fans of McCoy Burger Co. They prize themselves on local beef that they ground the chuck daily. It is the juiciest most flavorful burger I have ever had. It's just dripping in goodness. After a few bites the burger starts to fall apart. It is so messy that you need 30+ napkins. :drool:
The wife and I get a burger each and share Beer Battered Onion Rings. but the burger is so filling that we're never able to touch the onion rings never mind finishing them (and I'm a pretty big guy).

Anyhoo.. before I go full Don and go off topic. I think McCoy's may have been affected by the minimum wage hike. First thing I noticed was my favorite burger "The Loaded 2X4" is off the menu. Gone! I asked and they told me is was too expensive so they took it off the menu. NOOOOooo.... You can still get the plain "2X4" but it's not the same. :dread:

2nd thing of course was the price went up, but we didn't really notice.

3rd (I hope that this was just a one off) the quality and size were way under par! The wife and I finished the burgers and the Beer Battered Onion Rings like it was nothing. The paddy was smaller than the bun. Hell It was smaller than the onion ring under the bun. To top it all off I only used 3 napkins.

We were disappointed and It was Meh. We really hope that it was just a bad day

Side note they were supposed to open a new location in Ajax last November... Looks like that's on hold. I keep checking, drooling on the windows, but there's no progress. :shrug:

03svt
02-02-2018, 12:24 PM
So everyone is raising prices to accommodate the wage hike, what was gained? Surely this had to be expected...

Styrofoam04
02-02-2018, 12:47 PM
The gain is more taxes. Taxes on income and taxes on higher prices = more money for the Gov. to squander

Biz
02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
For the last 3-4 years Dominos has run a monthly special for $10.99.
Just a med deep dish pizza. Nothing crazy.
Last week it's up to $11.99.
Do I think this is because of the min wage increase?
Absolutely!!!
Will it stop me from buying it?
Absolutely not!!

WTF
02-02-2018, 06:53 PM
bottom line with this min wage increase was that Wynne was completely irresponsible

1) she told businesses mid-way through 2017 that min wage would be going up with inflation....businesses planned accordingly

2) based on rotten poll #s she changed her tune and decides to crank up labour costs for businesses by 22% with a few months notice after she told them something completely different months prior

3) when businesses react to balance their budgets in a completely legal fashion....she goes to the media and calls them bullies

how anyone could consider this behaviour acceptable...coming from the Premier of a province in this Country is beyond me

this is reckless behaviour....

Politicians are supposed to be the steady hand on the tiller.....this is the complete opposite

Politicians are supposed to encourage small business development.....and this reckless bitch is shitting all over small businesses

she is not fit for the position she holds and should be sent packing

Quicksilver
02-05-2018, 04:46 PM
bottom line with this min wage increase was that Wynne was completely irresponsible

1) she told businesses mid-way through 2017 that min wage would be going up with inflation....businesses planned accordingly

2) based on rotten poll #s she changed her tune and decides to crank up labour costs for businesses by 22% with a few months notice after she told them something completely different months prior

3) when businesses react to balance their budgets in a completely legal fashion....she goes to the media and calls them bullies

how anyone could consider this behaviour acceptable...coming from the Premier of a province in this Country is beyond me

this is reckless behaviour....

Politicians are supposed to be the steady hand on the tiller.....this is the complete opposite

Politicians are supposed to encourage small business development.....and this reckless bitch is shitting all over small businesses

she is not fit for the position she holds and should be sent packing

I agree 1000%. Not to mention the cost of electricity, and fuel. My electric bill last month AFTER the 25% "Discount" was $740.00. And, I'm now paying $1.28/l for home heating oil, certainly due the the new provincial carbon tax.

ZR
02-09-2018, 06:34 PM
http://moziru.com/images/velociraptor-clipart-jurassic-park-9.png

ZR
02-09-2018, 06:34 PM
They just announced, 56,000 part times jobs lost this month

92redragtop
02-09-2018, 07:38 PM
It appears Canadian Tire in Bolton cut back on their store hours. They close 2 hours earlier on weekdays now and 1 hour earlier on Sunday. I wonder how many stores are going to do this?

WTF
02-09-2018, 08:13 PM
It appears Canadian Tire in Bolton cut back on their store hours. They close 2 hours earlier on weekdays now and 1 hour earlier on Sunday. I wonder how many stores are going to do this?

oh look.....another business that useless bitch can call a bully

Screw
02-09-2018, 08:19 PM
For the last 3-4 years Dominos has run a monthly special for $10.99.
Just a med deep dish pizza. Nothing crazy.
Last week it's up to $11.99.
Do I think this is because of the min wage increase?
Absolutely!!!
Will it stop me from buying it?
Absolutely not!!

Haven’t had Dominos since I was in school I n the US lol , is it good ? That was the go to at 2am :)

Screw
02-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Way to go Wynnebag

ZR
02-09-2018, 09:04 PM

You can guarantee it's the start of a trend.

True Blue
02-09-2018, 09:45 PM

My co-worker told me today, No Frills and Longos also cut back on their store hours as well.

92redragtop
02-09-2018, 11:42 PM
My co-worker told me today, No Frills and Longos also cut back on their store hours as well.

Forgot about the grocery stores - had to buy some milk on the way home last night and stopped at the Food Basics I drive by every day at Highway 50 & 7 only to find they shortened the store hours and closed an hour earlier during the week.

It's the part-timers that are getting cut to offset the cost increase.

92redragtop
02-09-2018, 11:52 PM
I saw on twitter 137,000 part time jobs have been lost

Yes that was the national number - Ontario lost 59.3K part-time jobs.

Ponyryd
02-10-2018, 12:22 AM
Our dealership has not cut jobs yet but did cut overtime completely in the quick lube, which sucks because a lot of the guys there relied on that extra income....thx Wynne.

Haven’t had Dominos since I was in school I n the US lol , is it good ? That was the go to at 2am :)

Still good, yes, our go to was always pizza pizza, lol, crap compared to dominos.

stangstevers
02-10-2018, 12:31 AM
Pizza pizza is like the subway of pizza so bland but my kid loves it so I order it. So want a real wooden pizza oven for za real thing... if you ever had pizza in NYC... ya know what real good pizza is lol

92redragtop
02-10-2018, 12:47 AM
bad decision in any case.

the min wage only went up in Ontario didn't it?

The NDP in Alberta announced (before Ontario) their minimum wage would be going up in late 2018, while Ontario is next. Not sure if Quebec did already as they lost jobs too...but it is Quebec. BC announced they are raising theirs as well but I don't recall when.

stangstevers
02-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Or could it be due to trumps protectionism tactics? Canada needs a real leader to face the issues at hand... one who could negotiate versus worry about words with “man” in them

bluetoy
02-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Don't forget that it's going up by another $1/hr in 10.5 months. Even more cutbacks coming.

Clutt gt
02-17-2018, 11:19 PM
So after a lot of thinking about this min wage hike and my own recent new hire. I'm at this.
Yes min wage has gone up and will do so again next year. In my opinion it was long over due. if you are going to have a minimum wage to stop the exploitation of workers then at least put it somewhere close to making it relevant.
Now my last hire started at 12hr green as grass and has quickly received raises throughout the year on his own merit.
And is well above min wage at this point.
I have recently hired another and despite a lack lustre performance the first week there are some promising attributes.
So at this point although I'm paying what I would consider to be too much for someone to clean buckets and sweep floors.
He too will learn and be worth much more in time. We all started somewhere and I'm dam sure there have been days and weeks that I've been paid more than I was worth and if you feel that's not your case than your wrong.
I put this kid on a job he was not capable of and complained that I didn't make money. That's a me problem.
Min wage for min knowledge what ever dollar is attached
At the end of the week it's one guy and a few bucks it's not going to sink us.
If you have many people making min wage like a Tims then you are probably pushing volumes and it's not going to sink you either.

Well after two weeks I have had to let him go. Not because of this min wage but at any min wage.
Almost every task he was given was done poorly even after being shown how.
Example
Pulling old trim nails out of the wall before a carpenter replaces baseboard trim.
100' after 25 minutes sent back to do it again and don't miss any.
Three attempts and 45 min later carpenter pulls approx 35 nails while installing the new trim.
I explain to him that if I ask you to do something and then have to do it over, then what am I paying you to do?
This scenario was repeated on cleaning the job site, scraping texture ceilings, sanding drywall, priming walls, painting closets.
It's too bad really because he was on time and generally a likeable guy, and has a kid on the way in April.
I hope he grows up fast and puts some effort into his next job because he's got a long way to go to be earning $14 or $15.

Screw
02-17-2018, 11:45 PM
^^ you may have done him a favour, going forward he may man up from the experience

92redragtop
02-17-2018, 11:55 PM
^^ you may have done him a favour, going forward he may man up from the experience

You would hope so - his kid will depend on it.

Screw
02-18-2018, 12:36 AM
You would hope so - his kid will depend on it.

Missed that part , ya he better

Zexhuffer
02-18-2018, 08:51 PM
Went to Boston pizza last night with the lil lady and my dad and it cost 127 before tax.

We had to double check and re look over the menu cause we were flattened that a medium pizza with three toppings was 28 fucking dollars... I know they said they were changing there prices but thats ridiculous. We talked to the manager and asked what had gone up and shes said pretty much everything as of jan 1. Thats the last time I eat there for a long time unless someone else is paying....

19$ for burger and fries???
28$ for a medium pizza...lol

Ponyryd
02-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Went to a great local burger restaurant a few weeks ago (Gillian’s if anyone is local), not a big place, but more than 15 tables, with some seating 6 people. Shocked to see one server in the whole place on a Wednesday night, as well as one behind the bar, ours was great though, doing it all, nice and quick even though she musta been in her 40s. Anyways the place closed a few days later! Not sure if it was because of the wage hike, but they used to have three waitresses or at the very least two and a barmaid.

5.4MarkVIII
02-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Seen it at quite a few places. Less waiters. Using a food runner instead to bring food to all the tables.

Even at a tims in London last night lined up in drive through and inside was only two people working on a busy Saturday night

Armen
02-18-2018, 10:50 PM
I was outside today and the sky was falling.

Mellow Yellow
02-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Went to a great local burger restaurant a few weeks ago (Gillian’s if anyone is local), not a big place, but more than 15 tables, with some seating 6 people. Shocked to see one server in the whole place on a Wednesday night, as well as one behind the bar, ours was great though, doing it all, nice and quick even though she musta been in her 40s. Anyways the place closed a few days later! Not sure if it was because of the wage hike, but they used to have three waitresses or at the very least two and a barmaid.

Which location?

Ponyryd
02-18-2018, 11:54 PM
Tecumseh. Walker is still running, not sure about Leamington, haven’t been there in a long time.

Laffs
02-19-2018, 12:47 AM

Think that's rent related, I looked at buying the building last year. Was listed for 400k or so, said rented to F&B client.

Ponyryd
02-19-2018, 04:24 PM
$400k seems cheap for that property.
Apparently it was bought by some Tecumseh Sub place.

Laffs
02-19-2018, 05:18 PM
$400k seems cheap for that property.
Apparently it was bought by some Tecumseh Sub place.

May have been 460k. It's really not that large, but ya heard Steve from Tec Sub was going in there, he's across from Franks now.

Quicksilver
02-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Went to Boston pizza last night with the lil lady and my dad and it cost 127 before tax.

We had to double check and re look over the menu cause we were flattened that a medium pizza with three toppings was 28 fucking dollars... I know they said they were changing there prices but thats ridiculous. We talked to the manager and asked what had gone up and shes said pretty much everything as of jan 1. Thats the last time I eat there for a long time unless someone else is paying....

19$ for burger and fries???
28$ for a medium pizza...lol

We went to East Side Marios yesterday. Same thing. Prices are getting higher. Last year I was able to buy a plate of spaghetti and meatballs for $10.99. Yesterday the same thing was $15.99. A small pizza with 2 toppings: $15.99. (Admittedly this includes salad and garlic bread). even children's meals $7.99.
i understand that costs and profit need to be covered but this is getting ridiculous.
Oddly, we got there at 5:15 PM and there was a 40 minute wait. The place was packed.

Screw
02-21-2018, 04:10 PM
^ place was packed & $15 for ragu & meatballs wow . I don’t eat out much , wife would smack me for $15 pasta ;)

Mrods
02-26-2018, 12:01 PM
I run a few business, with the Customer Service arm being highly impacted by the min wage increase. We received 3 weeks notice in December that the increase was official and kicking in Jan 1. Previously, We actually paid our agents $13 an hr. The margins are very tight at 7-9% for us as a business. We needed to move all front line employees to $14.75 hr this year and around $15.50 next year when phase two of the increase kicks in. We cannot pay minimum wage to avoid competing with Timmys and Macdonalds. Min wage models have never worked in out business. Unfortunately, some of our US and Canadian based clients were not willing to fund the salary variance for the latest hikes. Especially with such short time frames, even though we had socialized the possibility in 2017. Everything is now being transitioned off shore. Sadly, I just needed to advise 300 Toronto based employees that they are out of work effective mid April. The labour laws and conditions were not even updated by the government when Jan 1 hit. What a joke! Our company labour lawyer was confused by the lack of definition around the new legislation that goes well beyond a simple wage hike.
So yes, big impacts here and sadly, just the beginning. I am all for paying lower wage individuals more. It just needs be rolled out properly from a timing and detail perspective to allow all business to responsibly transition. In our case, we had a few weeks to let clients know, prices were up approx. 20%. What a stupid and irresponsible way for the government to handle such a massive change that should have been positive for both employees and employers; who need to actually make money to pay the employees. I hope Wynne's vagina neck suffocates her ugly face one day while she's sleeping. She needs to come to my shop so all the employees can thank her for another great move.